Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Corolla, and over the last weekend someone attempted to steal it. They weren't able to do so, but they did do a number on the upper steering column bracket in the process. I did some searching online, called a couple dealerships, and found two seemingly identical parts for the job. I was eventually able to get one of the dealership people to tell me that one part (the far cheaper one) was for a Japanese manufactured car, and wouldn't work on mine. When I asked for clarification on the material difference between the two parts, neither of the people I talked to was able to offer one.

So, I'm hoping that someone here can help. What is the physical difference between these two parts? Why will the second one work for my VIN when the first one will not?

vs.

Thank you all so much in advance. This is making me crazy.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It's probably some stupid fitment issue on an otherwise identical part. That's why they ask for your vin when ordering parts. The 1.8l engine uses three different thermostats depending on your vin too. And there's even differences in cylinder bores on otherwise identical toyota 3.3l v6 engines!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,238 Posts
I actually purchased a J hook for a J vin once. It was not painted black like the 1 or 2 vin's. Got it because it was cheaper than the USDM painted one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.