Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to the site my name is eric and i really could use some advice....i have a 99 camry 2.2l 5speed and i was driving my car died outta nowhere got it towed home it wouldent start for a few days i finally got it started w a jump, itll start right up and stay running as long as jumper cables are connected to another car,if i take them off it only runs a few minutes then dies,i changed and tested alternator its fine, i have dome light,headlights&hazards but no guages,no radio and no fuzes or relays are blown. Ive changed ground wires....im stumped????? Please help any ideas......i was thinking integration relay maby?

·
Super Moderator
13,488 Posts
How did you test the alternator? Take it off and get it tested at an auto parts store?

Did you test the battery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i first i took it off and had it tested then i changed it all together and ive tried 3 diff batteries in it

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would look at the battery cables. Specifically the negative cable and it's ground connection. Also the battery connectors could be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like im getting power to fuse block under hood but not under dash? Woldent that kill power all the way around not just the lower one?

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
929 Posts
If the Alternator is tested good, and the Battery is known good, then I would be suspect of a bad Ignition Switch, if here.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,094 Posts
No gauges? Is the 10A GAUGE fuse intact? The alternator excite signal depends on that fuse, if it's blown the battery isn't charging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the car starts right up....plus why would i have no power too doors,guages,windows,blinkers,power door locks?cause of that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But the car starts right up....plus why would i have no power too doors,guages,windows,blinkers,power door locks?cause of that?

·
short-throw dipstick
6,094 Posts
I think a lot of those are wired through the GAUGE fuse in the dash fuse panel. Most common issue is that the trunk wiring harness gets broken wires after so many opens and closes, and shorts to ground, blowing the aforementioned fuse. Then you lose gauges, door locks, windows, and battery charging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so check wiring going to trunk? Then i assume would be next step.....it actually looks like it was messed with b4.....on drivers side

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should i check the run on both sides just under trunk lid pannel or all 3?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to insightbrewery it was the 100amp alt fuse ! Extremly happy thank you so much

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No gauges? Is the 10A GAUGE fuse intact? The alternator excite signal depends on that fuse, if it's blown the battery isn't charging.
Thank you so much it was the 100 amp alt fuse and what a pain in the ass it was to change but its now fixed thank u

·
short-throw dipstick
6,094 Posts
Oh thanks, glad you figured it out but I wasn't correct - I meant the 10A fuse by the driver's knee.

Yeah that 100A fuse is a PitA, only time I've seen it go out otherwise is when the battery was hooked up backwards.

Thank you so much it was the 100 amp alt fuse and what a pain in the ass it was to change but its now fixed thank u

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh thanks, glad you figured it out but I wasn't correct - I meant the 10A fuse by the driver's knee.

Yeah that 100A fuse is a PitA, only time I've seen it go out otherwise is when the battery was hooked up backwards.
Ya ita weird it blew while i was driving...what a pain in the ass it was to change it.
..there is no room to work

1 - 18 of 18 Posts