Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone im new to this forum everyone seems very knowledgeable here. ok today when i left work with my 1992 yota pickup i was going and let off the gas and could hear a clicking noise with the window cracked little but when i accelerate theres nothing no matter what gear i in when you let off the gas it makes the sound even when the clutch is in. it also seems to get louder as you slow down but doesn't make it when your just sitting idling. can anyone help me i don't want something to happen when im out on the road:confused:.

josh

·
Registered
397 Posts
2wd or 4wd? any recent service we should know about?

You said it changes with speed. Does the frequency of the clicking diminish as well, or does it just get louder?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it's 4wd with manual hubs. the sound stays the same in all gears except in first when your coming to a complete stop it gets louder it kinda sounds like it's coming from the rear but not 100% sure and no no recent service it's going in for plugs wires and oil change Monday it's long over due i just bought the truck 2 days ago and my personal mechanic is out of town

·
Registered
397 Posts
are you sure it's mechanical? could be something stuck onto or into your tire and slapping the concrete

·
Registered
397 Posts
I guess if it does it moving and not at idle it's not in the engine. If it does it even when the clutch is in, it isn't internal to the transmission. so that leaves: the diffs, the driveshaft, & other unsprung mass. I don't know because I can't hear it and I'm not all that good at by-sound diagnosis.

If it does it while it's moving slow, maybe you could have a friend walk along side you while you idle forward.. maybe it's a little cold out there in NY, but could be worth a shot.

If it helps at all.. Rear differential problem tends to sound like a howl

what about something attached to your driveshaft?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess if it does it moving and not at idle it's not in the engine. If it does it even when the clutch is in, it isn't internal to the transmission. so that leaves: the diffs, the driveshaft, & other unsprung mass. I don't know because I can't hear it and I'm not all that good at by-sound diagnosis.

If it does it while it's moving slow, maybe you could have a friend walk along side you while you idle forward.. maybe it's a little cold out there in NY, but could be worth a shot.

If it helps at all.. Rear differential problem tends to sound like a howl

what about something attached to your driveshaft?
i will try to get audio of the sound if i can get good enough quality. and as far as something being attached to the drive shaft do u mean something thats not so pose to be there? and what do you think it would run me to get another drive shaft i really like this truck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i hit a few rather large water holes in town today sence it was really warm and the snow was melting and the sound has stoped for the time being thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts