Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Pioneer AVIC-N1 and wanted to install it myself but I need help locating the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) for my 2003 auto Camry LE. Any help, especially pics, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
You'll have to locate the ECM to tap the speed sensor wire, which is VIOLET/WHITE on the 35-pin connector of the ECM, position 17. Sorry, no picture.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
^

http://cars.ign.com/articles/526/526842p1.html

"The revolutionary AVIC-N1 offers simple touch panel or voice command letting consumers simultaneously access Memory Navigation information (route guidance, electronic mapping, points of interests, etc.), entertainment (audio entertainment for front seat passengers, DVD-video entertainment for rear seat passengers) and vehicle dynamics (speed, acceleration, lateral G-Force, angular velocity, slope, angle, etc.)."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.avic-n1.com

Yeah, the AVIC-N1 is a nice in-dash unit that can do just about anything. It is a little on the pricey side, but if you poke around on eBay you can save close to $600.

The downside is the installation is alot more difficult than a standard radio installation. You have to install a GPS antenna, hideaway unit, and tap into several sensors/wires on your car (parking brake, reverse light, and VSS). The VSS and reverse light taps are to help the navigation know whether you are moving forward or reverse and how fast you are traveling. The brake light connection is to ensure the DVD video is not played while the vehicle is in motion, but if you just ground this cable then the video will play at any time.

I believe the VSS is used by your car to calculate your speed and is used by the speedo and cruise control.

Luc, thanks for the info. I'll trace the cable down from the ECU this weekend.

·
Registered
Highlander
1,547 Posts
Here's a few more wire identification.

Brake wire: green/white, +, brake pedal switch
Reverse light: red/black, +, driver kick, harness to rear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where would I find the illumination wire (ILL)? Thanks.

Luc said:
Here's a few more wire identification.

Brake wire: green/white, +, brake pedal switch
Reverse light: red/black, +, driver kick, harness to rear

·
BANNED
1,497 Posts
Its much easier routing the wires through the gauge harness or it was for my car atlease. The ECM also works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts