Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Audio Experts. Need a bit of help. I'm a bit of a home audio guy on a budget but not quite as into car audio. I don't want to spend 10 hours or $500 customizing my car.

2002 Avalon - Factory JBL 5 Way system. Reconed the Sub a while back and it worked great. Noticed I had a "pop" in the left rear speaker. Sounds great, then will occasionally pop. Wanted to upgrade the speakers anyway (figured this was not a speaker issue) so I just put in a decent set of Kickers using the factory enclosures. Of course, the pop is still there and getting worse.

Not sure if the issue is caused by the Amp (under the passenger seat I think) or in the radio. I don't mind upgrading the radio to something more modern/better. Does anyone have a suggestion on what is causing the issue, how I can check it and what I should consider replacing?

No way am I paying $500 to replace the factory Amp. I've been told I can replace the radio and bypass the amp but i would think it would sound weak as I understand a new radio alone would not be able to power the sub. I'm sure I'll have a question to any reply but I would really appreciate any help from you audiophiles out there. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
Moved your thread to the Audio forum so you may be get help from a larger pool of people knowledgeable about car audio. I left a redirect in the Avalon forum for you so those members can navigate to this thread's new location. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Avi Limited
454 Posts
Best and cheapest way to go about this is disconnect the rear speakers. They aren't really necessary for SQ purposes and I have my fade almost all to the front of my 09 Avalon with the rears having little sound just for rear seat passengers. If you really do want to change everything out I'd suggest finding a good Head Unit you like with at least four RCA outs for an amplifier. IDK what your budget is but you can find a good inexpensive four channel amp and use two outputs for the front, bridge two for the sub (factory or otherwise) and the rear speakers can run off of the Head Unit power.

·
Car Audio/Video Fanatic
95 Impreza L AWD
9 Posts
OP:

I know this thread is going on 3 months old but you have a few options. The pop is indeed the amplifier failing. Usually an installer would diagnose your issue as you did initially. However, just simply reading your post; I would have mentioned an amp bypass and a new headunit for a complete solution. As a fellow DIY'er I understand getting things done for a reasonable price and I would rather spend $20 and spend a few hours than spend $500. As an aside, the person posting in regard to unplugging speakers and getting a new 4 ch amp may not be aware of the additional options or professional ways to fix this common toyota issue. I wouldn't recommend unplugging speakers unless you were driving a 1995 toyota that was rusting into the ground and not worth anything. Otherwise I firmly believe on doing the correct things first and enjoying your car.

Here are your options:
1. Got to your local car audio shop or a Best Buy and order the Metra 70-8116. It is the amp bypass harness for your car. It also contains a Metra 70-8113 which plugs into your factory wiring. Used as a combo and in coordination with a new radio (which MUST have front and rear pre-amp outputs) will allow you to esentially run this harness to your amp, under your seat and bypass it. Since you are removing the amp, your stereo will sound weak and that's where the aftermarket radio comes into play. It will compensate for the removal of the OEM amp and will sound better than the OEM setup you had before. The wiring harness can be had for around $25 online. A new radio can be had for $60-200 online, pending on what you want. This is the most complete and professional option and with some sweat equity, can be had for under $100 on the cheaper side with tons of new benefits.

2. You can obtain a wiring diagram for the amp and simply disconnect the input and output; then use similar sized, quality wire to jump signal/power from the input plug to the output plug. That's known simply as an OEM amp bypass. I cannot tell you how many celicas I have done this to. Please note, the sound quality you are use to now, even with the popping, will be substantially decreased without the assistance of the OEM amp.

3. New aftermarket radio, Metra 70-8113, and the instructions from Option #2. It's a hybrid and will save you literally, a couple of bucks ($15-20 max).

4. Replace the OEM amp and pay the $500. Which isn't really an option as the aftermarket route can be done for much cheaper and with better results; it just requires some time on your part.

Best of Luck.
Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Irish

What a fantastic reply. I already resolved the issue but your note prompted me to share. It was weird to say the least. The issue was actually caused by a failing preamp out on my XM Radio Onyx unit. I finally tried swapping out my Onxy with my wife's and the problem transferred to her car! I replaced the XM with an upgraded unit.

Of course, I used the whole thing as an excuse to upgrade the head unit with a new Alpine UTE-52B. I decided to go the interim route and got the harness to allow me to integrate the new head unit with the factory Amp. I also replaced the 4 door speakers with Kickers but kept the factory Sub since I had recently reconed it and it's a passive unit. All totaled, I have only about $250 and a weekend invested and I am very happy. Far form the ultimate but reasonably priced and a good bang for the buck. Thanks again to all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.