Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having problem with my 99 camry on acceleration. the problem starts when i'm on the interstate and i go to pass someone. whats happening is once i gas it and get to about 90 mph, my rpm guage will drop from 4300 rpm to 3800 rpms for about 2 to 3 seconds and then it will start picking back up. it won't happen again until the next car i need to get around and i do the same thing. does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? no check engine light ever comes on. i need help with this before i start getting ready to put together my turbo kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've already changed the fuel filter. that was a b to chage out. is there any way to test the injectors to see if they are bad? how about the pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you. i'll get to a mechanic with the right equipment so i can find out. i guess if either one of these are the problem, i can go ahead and get a better flow pump and injectors.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
my problem was solved by swapping plugs, but I did a few other things to it at the same time. TB clean up, cleaning contacts, etc

It used to get to a point, falter and pick right up again. Took the Bosch's out and put NGKs in..clean sweep with no faltering.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I've told people in the past who used those plugs they will have problems. Another good example. Stick with ngk or denso:thumbup:

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
im just waiting till i have problems... ive had bosch platinum for over a year now... but then again i seldom rev past 3k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i checked my injectors, they are good. i've had denso iridium, and ngk wires in it for about 25k to 30k miles, but it still did the same thing when they were new. i'm still trying to find a shop that will check my fuel pressure for me. a friend is trying to borrow his buddys so we can test it. i think i'll go ahead and put new plugs and wires on this weekend anyway. btw the air filter is a k&n just bought 3 weeks ago. keep yall updated if i find anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i found the problem. it is my map sensor. it is reading the wrong voltages all the way across the vacuum readings. anyone know if the map sensor off the rav 4 or the celica will work or should i fork out the money for one from the dealer?

·
Registered
633 Posts
What kind of engine do you have ? 5sfe (2.2) ? Just don't go to the dealer as it will cost you a fortune ! Just buy a used one from any salvage yard : as long as it is coming from the same engine, you are fine, they are just the same . 5sfe engines are found on many Toyota's : Celica, Camry (about 8 to 10 years !), probably Rav4 as well,...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts