Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not good...not good.

Well, I was driving home from work in Vacaville. I pull up in the parking spot in my apartment complex and I see steam or something coming out.

It seems my valve cover is leaking oil and my dad tightened it but didn't replace the valve gasket so it didn't get better...much even worst. I was wondering if anybody knew anyone in Davis, CA who can help me get this fixed?

I would do it myself but I have no space to work it here and I don't want to drive too far to get it fixed. I really dont' have the time either as I'm going to school and just started work.

HELPS!!

UGGH...I hope my Camry will be ok.

Oh...if someone is willing to come and tell me what parts to buy, I will pay you to help me fix it. I can't pay you top money. I'm a starving college student but yea, I don't think it's a hard fix. I have work Tuesday morning so I need it fixed ASAP.

Sigh...thx guys.

·
Registered
633 Posts
First off no worries !!! This is not a serious problem !!! First advice is to top up some oil when necessary and you can go on driving that way for a long time, so there is no urgency in this.

Very frankly I am sure you can do it yourself provided you have a few tools. The part itself is very cheap too. This will take you no more than 30 minutes (this is if you can't find anyone to help you...).

Can you let us know the year and model of your car ? 4 cylinder engine ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thx for the reply but it's a 89 Camry, 3sfe so it's a 4-cylinder.

It's a bit hard since I'm away from home for schooling so I'm limited to the tools. My roommates don't have tools as well and I'm not mechanically inclined to.

I believe there is a parts store around this area but I hope it's ok to drive there and back.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I understand your problem... yes probably someone here could give you a hand (hopefully), I d'love to help but I am a bit far :D ;)
As for driving, DO NOT WORRY, as long as it has enough oil, you're fine, it might seem a bit impressive, disgusting and become very dirty under the hood but this shouldn't harm anything AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ENOUGH OIL ;-)
I can explain you the way to do the job (so that you already know) :

- remove spark plug wires from the spark plug wholes (quite easy !)
- remove the big four bolts on top of each spark plug wholes (super easy, you just need a big socket)
- remove the valve cover (which is now unbolted)
- replace the gasket (3.5 seconds)
- refitting is the reverse sequence to removal

Just let us know if you need any more info !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THX NICO.

I was wondering what exact part is correct. Some have more parts than the other.

Also, what socket size do I use?

I might have to buy a socket wrench as well.

Much regards.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thx.

I was wondering if this part was the one I should buy:

Fel Pro VS50304R

Valve Cover Gasket: Rubber w/o Spark Plug Tube Seals; PermaDry Moulded Rubber Gasket Included

Do I really need the Spark Plug Tube Seals?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx...3 hours later after being in front of Kragens'...I'm done.

It was a bit more difficult than I thought since you had to move around the gas? line.

Thx for everybody's help...thx to and Nico 88 LE, I'm sorry I can be a bit annoying at times with these newbie questions.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
glad everything worked out ok :)

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
DaFOBulous1 said:
Thx...3 hours later after being in front of Kragens'...I'm done.

It was a bit more difficult than I thought since you had to move around the gas? line.

Thx for everybody's help...thx to and Nico 88 LE, I'm sorry I can be a bit annoying at times with these newbie questions.
Im glad you got the info you needed.
Hey, these tech questions are better than some of the topics there are...I.e. How can i make my car fast?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Glad to hear you eventually managed to do it, especially yourself : think that you have just saved at least 70 or 80 bucks ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts