Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm new here and this will be my first Avalon. The 2004 Pontiac Bonneville is getting old. I intend to purchase in the next couple of days but the quotes that I am getting do not seem to match up to the discounting mentioned by other threads. The discount off MSRP (excluding TTL) that I am receiving range from a high of 16% to a low of 8.7% with an average of 12.8%. It seems like some folks were getting 20%+ discounts. The discounts that I cited include the current $2,500 rebate. What am I doing wrong? lol

Thanks for any insight and/or advice that you can provide.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where are you located? Possibly expand the distance you’re willing to drive for the model you want. I wanted a specific color. In December, a local dealer offered a discount of about 17% off ones on their lot, but they didn’t have what I wanted and didn’t seem too enthused about getting one from another dealer. So I found one that I wanted about 2.5 hours away. I emailed them what the local dealer was offering (they took my word for it) and I think I ended up 18% off msrp. What I’m getting at is email dealers with a price you’re willing to pay for a specific car on their lot and see if they go for it. I bought in January, so I’d expect quite a bit more discount now.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
A lot depends on where you are shopping and what the inventory looks like. Give us your zip code, model you want, and any options/color combinations your looking for, and maybe how far your willing to drive. 16% is an OK price, but you probably can do better this late in the model year.

Reactions: NoGo3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot depends on where you are shopping and what the inventory looks like. Give us your zip code, model you want, and any options/color combinations your looking for, and maybe how far your willing to drive. 16% is an OK price, but you probably can do better this late in the model year.
I am from Grand Rapids, Michigan and looking for a Black Avalon Limited with either cognac or gray interior. Interestingly the dealerships in West Michigan have only white Avalons so I have been reaching out as far as Detroit, Saginaw and Fort Wayne. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with the salesman at Toyota of Grand Rapids and he indicates that COVID19 closed down the manufacturing facilities. They just started production again about five weeks ago and the current inventory is thin. He claims that there is only approximately $4,000 that dealers can discount off the Avalon Limited plus the $2,500 rebate for a total discount from MSRP of $6,500. That seems to be true given the numbers that I am receiving from various dealerships. Not sure how other, better, deals were achieved. Maybe manufacturer to dealer incentives are low? It appears to be an inventory issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Contact the online sales person at a number of dealers, regardless of whether or not they have the exact model you want. Just request an online price for a Limited in a color they have on the lot. No need to call and talk to anyone. Do everything online. Many dealers will try to give you the price that’s on their website, but there will be some that are more aggressive and will give you a much better price. This will help you find out what type of discount you can really get. You can then use this to help negotiate the model you want, either there or elsewhere. I would be shocked if $6500 off is truly the best they could do. I would think $8-9k this late in the model year as a guess

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi!

I'm new here and this will be my first Avalon. The 2004 Pontiac Bonneville is getting old. I intend to purchase in the next couple of days but the quotes that I am getting do not seem to match up to the discounting mentioned by other threads. The discount off MSRP (excluding TTL) that I am receiving range from a high of 16% to a low of 8.7% with an average of 12.8%. It seems like some folks were getting 20%+ discounts. The discounts that I cited include the current $2,500 rebate. What am I doing wrong? lol

Can you wait? The best negotiating card is having the new model year next to the older one (and going for the older one of course).

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
204 Posts
Woodman is right. It` too early for the super deals on the 2020 Avalons. And with the covid the avalons will be scarce come the end of this year, compared to last year. And looking for one type of color combo and only a Limited model trim will make it even harder. Most black color Avalons are built for limo/uber cars with black on black interior. Hope you get lucky and find one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am from Grand Rapids, Michigan and looking for a Black Avalon Limited with either cognac or gray interior. Interestingly the dealerships in West Michigan have only white Avalons so I have been reaching out as far as Detroit, Saginaw and Fort Wayne. Thanks for your thoughts!
There are two such Avalons currently in inventory at Galesburg Toyota in Galesburg, Ilinois. I will be looking at the one with a cognac interior today. They are both Limited hybrids, fully loaded. I think the dealership is asking in the low $30's for either one, so they seem to be discounted quite heavily.

·
Registered
2020 Avalon XSE - Ruby Flare Pearl
21 Posts
I bought mine last week - the dealer I purchased from was the only one with more than two on the lot and the only one with a hybrid. I was able to get 17.4% off MSRP after rebate. The price without the rebate was right at invoice. I really think it is also tied to trim levels and options. Mine is a bare XSE with the red paint option - nothing else option-wise.
Other dealers in my area had 1 or none and the one they did have was there because it was optioned out to the max and honestly, at that price point, why wouldn't you buy a ES350?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I really think it is also tied to trim levels and options.
I got a 23% discount off MSRP with xse hybrid JBL, others on this forum with Limited trim got similar or more discounts. It depends on many things, such as how long the vehicle has been sitting, factory incentives (both published and unpublished), overall stock and volume (higher the volume, higher the chances they'll sell a few at no profit), whether new model year is coming in or is already present, etc.

it was optioned out to the max and honestly, at that price point, why wouldn't you buy a ES350?
Can you get 20%+ discount on es350 (honest question)?

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I'd print out that page (on the above Avalon) and take it to your local dealer and tell him you'll buy his, if he beats the Milwaukee deal by X#$ (being what you want to pay). I've always been able to get a price below the online offer price at Wilde Toyota, so I'm sure you can too. You could also contact Wilde and get a real offer from them with a saleperson's name/e-mail etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Everyone! Thanks for your insight and advice. I am still stuck at a max dealer discount + 2,500 = 16%. Most are a bit lower. I think I will wait this one out and look for a better day when the covid 19 issue has passed and things get back to normal. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Have you tried to find a vehicle with a “birthday?” There are ways to find out when a dealer took delivery and the clock started ticking... they have a grace period where they pay little or no interest on having that vehicle to sell, after a certain amount of time (varies) then they (dealer) may be liable to take care $$$$end $$$ for a monthly principle payment as well. I bought a new Travel Trailer by noticing the manufacturers date on the vehicle checking a calendar and confirming w/ others how long it was on the lot and they dropped the price by over $14 K from $32k to $18k an IDENTICAL clone one next to it but with much less time on lot & they would not budge...confirming what’s in the book”confessions of an RV dealer” where I learned it. My 2019 Tundra was having a Birthday:) too and I got an additional $6k off sale price because a combo of the birthday and the owner was driving it had put on just over 1k miles. Everywhere varies wether they use factory or a third party flooring company... I’m am talking generalities not specifics and others can dot the is and cross the Ts so please don’t attack me on what I missed. Please amend and help him...
Flooring and also other known inventory interest free and low loans are in every category selling fun & expensive things Boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, RVs, Electronics, and of course NEW cars and trucks. GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOUR NEXT VEHICLE IS CELBRATING A BIRTDAY, THE OWNERS DEMO OR BOTh:):)

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I bought my 2018 avalon I bought through the Costco buying program. At that time their arrangement with Toyota would have resulted in a discount for your limited of about $7800 based on the current rebate. Seems worth looking into. Cost of membership is only $45 if you have a nearby store.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hmm, I’m really surprised that the Costco discount yielded that good f a deal. I have bought cars with the Costco deal - it is worth a try.

Reactions: Knight Rider in GR
1 - 20 of 21 Posts