Toyota Nation Forum banner

Need help on how to go forward on this

985 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  steve108 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I have come to report that my 3.0 3vze has a hole on the side of the block. For some sort of reason my buddy and I still somehow were able to get the engine running, lmao it's crazy. I just wanted to ask how to move forward on this matter because I've already started to part out the vehicle. Honestly, I'm just grasping at anything to see if I can still save it. Thinking about just finding a replacement block but keeping everything else considering all my other components are still good. I'm not that mechanically inclined yet so I don't even know if my problem can be solved by just replacing the block. I don't have a ton of money to buy a new engine like a 22re so that's why I'm writing this post. I'd also like to add, I was wondering If I can put a cheap 4 banger just so I can try and keep it alive until I can upgrade it.

Hopefully, I can get some replies so I can make a better judgment on my future decisions.

#2 ·
A 3.4 swap would be something you could read up on, it’s a common swap for those. No 4 cylinder will bolt up to your transmission or engine mounts, not even the 22r. Only the v6 bolts up, anything else would be a nightmare for you.

#4 ·
Welcome to the site.

If you can afford it and want to keep this Runner, you could consider putting in a rebuilt. I would do a complete and not just the short or long - at this age and considering you have to tear it out anyway I would go the entire engine.

I bought a rebuilt engine for my '09 Camry from Kar King, and it worked flawlessly. Good price too. They have this engine of yours rebuilt for $2,000:

I have no affiliation with them but they did me good and the engine I bought from them fired up and never has had an issue. $2k is a good price for a rebuild as well. Pulling and replacing an engine is not as scary as it seems once you think it through. Rent an engine lift, rent two engine stands (put your old on one and the new on the other so you can more readily swap components), and take your time. It's fun! Or just pay a shop to do it but that will probably add at least another $2k as it is a bit of labor.

The price of cars right now, including used, is insane. A rebuilt and back to running for under $5k is a good consideration...

#5 ·
I agree, either buy a rebuilt or find a wrecked truck with the same engine.

Swapping one engine out for another of the same really isn't super hard, there are some things you definitely have to get right though. Do you have a friend that's mechanically inclined who could help out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.