Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 87 mr2 which didnt pass smog testing. I had a tune up done on the car yesterday. I believe the car had ample time to warm up and I use a fuel additive. The results of the test are:

High speed
HC 66 limit 200 pass
CO 0.44 limit 1.2 pass
CO2 14.8 pass
O2 1.73 pass

low speed
HC 216 limit 200 failed
CO 0.28 limit 1.2 pass
CO2 14.7 pass
O2 1.56 pass

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your results are similar to the results I had earlier this year in my MB SL500.

Ran thru about 5 tanks of 94 octane which did the trick....barely.

Good luck.

·
Official TN Member
1999 Toyota Camry LE
53 Posts
Try going to an AutoZone and ask them for the formula you can use to pass inspections.
I tried looking for it on their website but couldn't find it. I forgot who makes the product but it says on the box that's it'll gurantee you pass.

Since I couldn't find it on their website, you can try calling them and ask if they have it in stock.

·
TN TE/AE/SW Afficionado
1986 4-Runner
99 Posts
Try running the Berryman commercial grade fuel injection cleaner (Kragen and Autozone should ahve them - Kragen for sure). This cleaner has a three-stage system andit makes your car shoot out a lot of yucky stuff in the process.

How's your catalytic looking?

When I took my 89 AE92 in for smog, I drove it for half an hour after filling up with premium, just to make sure that everything was warm, and all the chemicals were undergoing as much combustion as possible. The 4AGE inside it has over 200k miles and it passed with flying colors - in California.

HTH, keep up posted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
smog test thanks

thanks everyone for the advice, I will try each one and see if I can pass the smog test. the only advice they gave me was to give it a tune-up, which I did. the first time the low HC was 255 and after the tuneup, it dropped to the 216 mark. I need to get it under the 200 mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts