Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas lever doesn't open my gas cap thing, so i can open the cap and put gas in. My car is out of gas, in eed to use it for work tomorrow! How do i open the gas thing? The lever by the seat doesn't pop it open!

Gen4 i think camry 98 v6! Thanks!!

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
any sounds when you pull on it?

Im thinking your cable somehow snapped.

i honestly havent a clue how u'd fix it at home, but i would have to say, try to pry it open with something that hopefully wont dent/scrach your car or break that assembly part.

Just a side note, dont let your gas run below 1/4 unless your cleaning out ur fuel system or something. Its not good for the car and it'll get you in tight spots like the one you're in right now.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
Shit, that really bad. I really don't know how you could fix this. I would try to feel around with a flat piece of metal and try to shimmy the thing open.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
guess this is a common problem....hmmm

My gen 4 gas door was a tad sticky a week ago but after i sort of bent out the metal clip it's been okay since.

I suppose i may probably have to go the document clip road too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're in luck! I ripped out the entire interior of my 1998 to replace carpet and seat covers, so I know how to do this.

To replace the cable, remove the plastic trim at the carpets edge. To do that, you have to pull really hard as there are several metal clips holding it onto the weatherstripping. Lift up the carpet where the little pull tab is and see if the cable is still attached there, if not, find it and reattach.

If you need to get the seat out to get access, it is held on with 4 bolts into the floor of the car. It's not hard to remove the seat. remember when taking it out to remove the wiring from the bottom.

If it's all good up there, go and see if it is attached on the actual door. If it is attached in both spots, your cable has snapped. If you need help seeing where it is, read the camry body manual on turboninja's site.

Good Luck,
GT6

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
i believe there's a wire under the trunk carpeting as a backup door popper.

·
Registered
250 Posts
On my 98, I've had the carpeting out and have not seen a backup release. Maybe on newer models. I think it's more likely the spring clip in the door, rather than the cable. Dealers keep many of these in stock since they are often needed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
if you realy need it you can always rip out the rear seat and fill it that way from where the pump is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts