Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, When i bought my car it had the stereo wiring hacked out of it. I paid a stereo shop to just hook up the deck so they plugged the ignotion and battery power wires into the fusebox under the dash. My deck stopped working but It's not a fuse and not the two power wires. It has to be a wiring problem in the car. What I want to know is what wire goes to what so I just directly hook my stereo to teh battery to see if the deck still works and so i can get my cd out of it. pleeease help

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
if you can get the unit out of the car just use the 2 wires in the back of the harness put one on ground and power to the battery and it should turn on as usual if it's still good

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
^ Theres 3 wires that need to be connected for the deck to turn on.

Black: ground
Red: Ignition
Yellow: +12V constant

So black wire to ground (- negative) and red + yellow wire to (+ positive).

·
Registered
175 Posts
spydrvnm said:
correct me if i'm wrong but direct placement to the battery would be bad.

you are definately right.... the voltage that comes directly from your battery is not a constant 12v, which is what your head unit is demanding.

the only reason why you can hook an amp directly to the battery is because the circuitry inside the amp is made to regulate the voltage.

the best thing to do is run new wires from the fuse block ( it would be good to go by the book on this so that you can keep it as stock as possible for easier troubleshooting in the future).

you need one constant 12v (which you can really get off of your cigerette lighter if it's always on ( key on or off) , a ground (which can be ran right into the inner chasis), and a 12v acc switched... that allows the power to turn on and off as the key is used.

speaker wires are easy... just make sure you keep track of right and left, rear and front, + and -.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts