Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought an 89 toyota pickup from some kid in RI. I bought it knowing that it ran rough but I had no idea what I was getting into. It a 5 speed 6cyl with 189,000.The problem is that the truck is running super rich. I went through about 3 gals of gas in a 5 mile trip! Black smoke out the tail pipe painting the ground. The kid who I bought it from went through all the hoops of figuring it out. Changed cold start, egr, plugs,wires,o2 sensors,air box. the whole shibang. Im not getting a check engine light. I had it run on a computer and it couldnt diagnose the problem. Leaky fuel injectors. So, now it has 6 new injectors. Dont know what to do. Im at a loss for ideas. Oh and I called toyota on the head gasket recall. No luck! Said there is no recall on my truck. Please, any help would be appreciated.

·
IndyGo Ink
03 Matrix Xr
34 Posts

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts

·
Registered
05 Tundra
191 Posts
I wonder if your cold start injector is stuck open. Darrin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found an ecu online for $50. I'll give that a try. The cold start injector is new so I dont think thats it. Any tips on the online fuel data sheets. That would be a great help if you could lead me in the right direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts