Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing two component sets in the front doors of my car and I have a question. I can't use the factroy speaker pods that fit the door because they are made for a four and the new ones are 5.25, no problem so far.
My question is, after I mount the speaker on mdf and raise it out of the door with some baffles, what is the best way to protect the rear of the speaker from moisture and the general abuse that the inside of a door might create? I am not too confident in my fiberglassing ability, I can do it, but would rather find another solution if one exists.
any suggestions that you have pic/tutorials for would be immensly appriciated.thanks

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
you can put speaker baffles in there but I suggest to let them run IB and deaden your doors.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking that IB is the way to go. My question is then, do I have to worry about moisture/condensation? I feel like the speaker is pretty vulnerable just sitting there. Is this not something I should worry about?

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ps, the door is deadened already, three layers of the new second skin and two layers of peelnseal

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much, unless you know of leaks through the windshield than replace the seal.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good enough, thanks eddie, you are,as always, quick to reply and thoroughly helpful

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why two component sets?

I've seen little foam shields for door installed speakers somewhere before. Can't recall where. Crutchfield, perhaps?

·
Road Trippin'
63 Posts
Yeah, Crutchfield carrys a line of foam speaker baffles. They range in price from $7 to $16, depending on the size of the speaker.

I almost got 'em once, but I'm cheap. :D

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, They are on thier way from crutchfield, I'm going to build them into the baffle so they are sealed into place between two mdf rings. should do nicely

·
Road Trippin'
63 Posts
Are you sure there is enough space inside the door for two layers of MDF and the speakers?

You'd probably be good attaching the MDF to the door, secure the baffle to the MDF with some silicone adhesive, and then secure the speaker with silicone and, if you have enough metal behind the speakers, self-drilling metal screws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts