Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new here. I am looking into buying a used 2015 Venza. I found one I really like with low kms (50k) at a dealership. Test drive was ok. Afterwards I was going around the car checking everything and I hooked up OBD reader and the car had P0335 code (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction). I left but the dealer keeps in touch with me and let me know that the car was taken to Toyota for diagnostics and that it was a bad battery (it could be true as I found Toyota bulletin about it)(I was also shown an invoice for a battery replacement, although from a sister dealership).
Here is where I get suspicious. On the invoice it says that the freeze frame data was examined and the ECU recorded voltage at 5.6Volts. It also says that the battery was charged overnight but failed to keep the charge. The battery also failed a load test. So, when the battery was in such a bad shape how could it start the engine at the first try and without any hesitation just a week before? I wonder if this could be something more serious that was either not communicated to me or needs a more thorough diagnostics than simply looking at an ECU readout.
Has anyone here had something similar happen with their Venza? I'd appreciate any input!

·
2011 Venza
2,956 Posts
Yes, OEM Toyota batteries are notorious for going bad prematurely, I replaced mine after 2 1/2 years. When the voltage gets low like that, it will start the car if it's cold, but when it is warmed up, it may have problems. Go back and put your reader on it and confirm that the code is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, OEM Toyota batteries are notorious for going bad prematurely, I replaced mine after 2 1/2 years. When the voltage gets low like that, it will start the car if it's cold, but when it is warmed up, it may have problems. Go back and put your reader on it and confirm that the code is bad.
I will definitely hook up the reader again. Do you think the car will need to be driven for a bit again or will this code (if not battery related) show up on just idling?

·
85 Celica Vert
2 Posts
My wife and I bought a Highlander band new back in January of 2001. The OEM battery that came in our Highlander was made by Panasonic. I did not have to change that battery until fall of 2008. And we live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I'm not sure what battery Toyota use for OEM nowadays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts