Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

I'm in the process of getting 1989 Supra Turbo (A/T). The exterior is in pristine condition, It has a few blemishes but everything else looks really great. I wasn't able to start it cuz the current owner wasn't home. I was told that the car needs a new motor and will cost about $2,500 to fix. I was thinking that since a new motor is needed that I might as well put in a 1JZ or maybe even a 2JZ if it fits and if I can find a reasonably priced one. So far, I found a 1JZ from a reputable seller in Chicago for $2500. How hard are these cars to build. I was thinking of using this car as my daily and maybe even turn it into a sleeper.

The car is being sold for $1,000. Do you think thats a good price for a 89 that doesn't run. I'm sure the motor can be rebuilt but would prolly be impractical if I can do a swap for approximately the same price. What do I need to do to get to about 400HP on a 1JZ?

Thanx for the help.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Since you're willing to spend 3500 total I would look for an already built and modded supra. Check out http://www.supras.com/04/main/index.php and look for someone selling theirs. Im sure you'll find someone that took really good care of their supra and already put alot of money into aftermarket parts. If you initially want to spend around 1k. I'm sure you can find a running turbo supra for close to that price. www.autotrader.com is also a good resource. I bought my 88 for 1200. Not turboed but in really good shape. Also check for oil under the head for a headgasket leak. And find out if the old owner has ever had it changed.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Expect to pay much more than $3500 total to get a 1JZ swap up and running.

·
Registered
57 Posts
that would be sweet tho. the money is only one obstacle. the time, dedication, and patience you need to do something like that is probably the hard part

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
repinS is right in this one. A 1jz swap will cost a good chunk of change (I've seen installs with just minor issues run up over $6,000 total..). As for a 2jz, keep dreaming :) There are enough issues (and costs) in installing/obtaining necessary parts (you'd need more than just the motor for either engine) that for someone new to the supra and on a decent budget, it's almost nowhere near pheasible (sp?).

Your best bet is probably to pick up a JDM 7M-GTE (I suggest Nippon-motors.com. I (living a state away) can get them shipped to me for $900. So far, I've had good luck with them.

If you read up (on supraforums.com and supramania.com) there are whole guides on 7m-gte motor swaps. With one other person helping, we've got the removal time down to under 4 hours. My first time, it took me a full weekend, and then 4 days to remove/install, and troubleshoot several minor issues. All things said and done (when you throw things like clutch, gaskets, fluids, etc) I pulled off the entire job for less than $1100 which is much softer on the wallet than $2500.

At the same time however, You can buy a completely stock 1989 Turbo for less than $2500 if you look carefully. Then you've got more than $1,000 (if you so desired) to mod it with.

As people above me have said as well, if you put the whole $3500 into a mk3, you can find one that's already been mod'd, with a proper head gasket job, and some goodies too boot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great advice. I really wanted this MK3 'cuz the body was in excellent condition so I was able to get it for $800. I went with the 7M-GTE route 'cus I really was just looking for a reliable daily driver with a little kick and I figure with a few bolt-ons this car should exactly be that. I already have an N/A DC5 that I'm building so I reallt didn't wanna end up doing the same thin with this car and I have a feeling that if I get the 1Jz that I'll be hooked especially after learning more about it. I have a source here in Chicago and I got the 7m w/35K miles for $700. I coulda gotten a 1jz front clip fror 1800 but oh well, maybe later on when I'm done with other project. Thanks again for all the input, I'll post pix when I finally haul the car in my garage this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts