Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My key broke into two halves. I need to disengage the locked steering wheel; is there a way to do this with out the key? I already went to the dealer and they made me a key from my vin, but that didn't work. I do not know if its because the steering wheel is locked or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
452 Posts
you probably have a piece of the old key left in the lock. You'll have to "rake" it out or take the cylinder out so you can tear into it. There should be a rod or arm that comes off of the cylinder to engage the steering lock. Look for the direction to install a radio. It involves removing the lower dash covers, and the plastic piece around the lock. You should then be able to get to what you need to.

good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
lack of punctuation makes it hard to read :confused:

so take off the little black surround that surrounds your key hole. Then drop the column or lower part of the dashboard as necessary. That will give you access to take out the ignition cylinder (the thing you put the key into). You'll have to (CAREFULLY) take it apart and get the last bit of key out.

or if you're into paying ridiculous amounts of money, take it to an automotive locksmith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lack of punctuation makes it hard to read :confused:

so take off the little black surround that surrounds your key hole. Then drop the column or lower part of the dashboard as necessary. That will give you access to take out the ignition cylinder (the thing you put the key into). You'll have to (CAREFULLY) take it apart and get the last bit of key out.

or if you're into paying ridiculous amounts of money, take it to an automotive locksmith
Im sorry but my post was totally grammatically correct, but thanks for the help.
I have both halves of the key. Im looking for information on how to disengage the steering wheel lock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a true statement in general, but it doesn't apply to the original post. It looks fine to me.

ethan12510, has your ignition ever been swapped out? That may be why the key the dealer made you didn't work. Just a thought.[/q

I have no idea if it has ever been swapped, but i came to that conclusion when the key didn't work. Dose any one have a guide for replacing the ignition? I have heard that its not to hard. I would appreciate something that is pickup specific if possible. Thank You

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did your original key open both doors and the gas door?
Does the new key open these same doors?
How long have you owned the truck?
Make sure there is no pressure on the steering lock assembly
by turning the wheel slightly left and right while turning the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did your original key open both doors and the gas door?
Does the new key open these same doors?
How long have you owned the truck?
Make sure there is no pressure on the steering lock assembly
by turning the wheel slightly left and right while turning the key.
I have owned the truck for a couple of months. Its My back up for my 89 supra. Anyways im planning on taking things apart in the morning and trying to disengage the steering lock. After that i have to take the ignition out right? I don't have a key to turn it into ACC so would i shove a screwdriver in there to turn it to ACC?

·
Registered
84 Posts
the only ways to get out the ignition switch is to either turn the key to accessory (obviously not going to work)
or to drop the steering column and drill out the hardened metal pin that holds it in.. After you take out the switch you will be able to start your truck with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the only ways to get out the ignition switch is to either turn the key to accessory (obviously not going to work)
or to drop the steering column and drill out the hardened metal pin that holds it in.. After you take out the switch you will be able to start your truck with a screwdriver.
So after i get the steering wheel unlocked. (still not exactly sure how to do that). I cant just use a hammer and pound the screwdriver into the ignition and then turn it to accessory and pull it out? To bad there isn't a lot of guides for the truck; because there are a ton for the supra.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Does anyone know?
I need to disengage the Steering column lock, and need to know how to do this. Do i need to disengage it or when i put the new ignition cylinder in and turn the key will it unlock like normal? Also I bought a new Ignition cylinder and need to get the old one out with out the key. So i will be needing to know how to do that as well. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm just hoping I can get this truck up and running today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Ok i got everything apart. I need to get the cylinder out. I assume that when you say hardened metal pin that you mean the pin that u push to get it out; when you have the key and turn it to acc. Any ways im going on the assumption that when i put the new cylinder in and turn the key the steering wheel will unlock just like its suppose to. Any help would be greatly appericated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the old cylinder out. In the morning i have to put everything together again. I need to line everything up though; bc i have to put the new cylinder in while its in acc mode but everything else is set to lock. (any suggestions on the easist way are more than welcome)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I belive you should be able to turn the switch inside the steering lock mechanism with a screwdriver after the key cylinder is out. When I did mine I drilled out the bolts with no heads on the steering column and removed just the steering lock/ignition assembly from the steering column under the dash. The downside to that method was having to go back to the dealer and buy some $7 bolts with break away heads to put it back together.. and of course it was a pain in the ass. I personally would much rather take out the extra 5 bolts to take out the column then to drill out 2 bolts with no heads and take a trip to the dealer... with the column out of the truck you should be able to put in the new cylinder and disengage the lock before you put it back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.