Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the third time i am tried making a new thread but it has rejected by request aeverytime so i am gonna make this as short as possible.
I am looking for a new truck (used/cheap/reliable) I was lookin a 2002-2004 tundra 3.4 liters. How is the power on this engine are there any major problems. My most important issue wat kind of MPG r u gettin. Can a 6'1 190 pound kid sit in the second row of the acess cab. How is the tundra in general? i would righ tmore bout i dont want it to happen again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, I second the kid sized back seat in an access cab. You will need a double cab. As far as a cheap used vehicle you can forget that also. Toyota's tend to keep their value and don't depriciate like other vehicles. However they are reliable. If your looking to tow more than 6500 lbs I would look at another truck. Doesn't sound like the truck for you. However that being said........the engine is quick, quiet and very smooth. Based on a lexus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i would only use the truck for light towing (2-3k).. I dont need a racing truck but i dont want a slug either. My son would rarely sit in the back seet, and if he did it would not be for too long. I want to know what MPG people are getting on the 3.4-4.0-and 4.7 liter engines. I am considering a 4x2 acess cab 4.0 liter but i am having alot to torulbe finding the 4.0 liter. Does anyone know of a midsized or fulsize truck that has a moderate sized acesscab but also can get 16-23 mpg like a v6 tundra can? Also how much are the 2006's going for, does anyone know a cheap used or new car center in the Bay Area. THnks for your help

·
GT
64 Posts
I have an 2002 Tundra with 75,000 miles on it and no problems.
I have the access cab so the rear seats are tight for big kids ok for toddlers.
I have the 4.7 V8 and tow a 27ft camper with no problems unless I'm climbing a hill then she works hard a bit.
If you don't need the power then the V6 would be ok.
I get abot 14-15 mpg in the city.Truck has a great ride.:clap:
Sure wish I could afford the new Tundra to pull the camper, but looking at a seasonal campsite to park the camper so won't have to tow anymore.
Consumer reports rates the Tundra since it came out in 2000 has the most reliable truck out there. Good luck !!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the 4.7 liter V8 and I get about 19.5 on the highway. Around town I usually get about 14-16. Depending on if it is summer or not. The winter I warm up my truck for 10-15 minutes because I only drive about 1.5 miles to work. Your son will not fit in the back unless you put the seat all the way up and then no one will fit in the front seat. Not even a 5 ft 4 in woman.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't get me wrong though............I love my truck. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is only two wheel drive which increases gas milage slightly. But, I live in the cold midwest.........so I do have the limited slip. The lines on the truck are tight and the quality I believe is the best you can get for any truck manufacturer. I looked around alot and even bought a used f150 before I traded it. I am 5ft 10 1/2 and I think the ergonomics are truly made for someone 5ft 8in to 6ft 1". After that it may not prove comfortable or even berable. But, for me it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever had.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Blackstepside05 said:
No Doubt ! You can tell they built this motor for the Lexus cause it is bad ass, man i LOVE it

I did the last 10 years with a 3.0 V-6 , from no power to WOOOOHOOOO
Now highjacking thread........I couldn't believe how quiet the cab is when on the interstate and when engine reving. You can hardly hear it. You really need to turn everything off, air conditioner, radio, and wife.........just kidding. But, when you do rev it....it is like a vet on steroids. I have done towing and like I said before anywhere up to the rated capacity is fine. Anything under 3000 you dont even notice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts