Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mainly directed to Tony the Tiger, but anyone else who can help will be appreciated. my question is this wat did u do tony to your automatic trans. to withstand 15psi of boost? any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks:confused:

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
You need to have your torque converter beefed up a lot. Most tranny places should be able to do it for you. That's the main thing that I can think of.

Other things you can do would include buying performance clutches for you car. Upgrading the gears from the stock one. And other upgrades from the stock pieces. There are always stronger parts out there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any online site that i could go to? Are there really performance clutchs for automatics? and what do u mean by upgrading the gears?

·
Registered
263 Posts
yea they have performance clutches for our automatics... act clutch anf fly wheel is the only website that i kno the name for but i do kno there are more clutches out there for it. i just dont kno there name lol.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Clutchs for automatics can really only be found at tranny shops (as far as I know. I haven't ever seen any online:disappoin ). They have some stronger made ones that those that come in your stock tranny.

And your tranny already has wear on it. New ones alone will be an improvement alone. As for upgrading gears, you can modify your gear ratio. And there are also stronger made gears. Differen metals... Made different ways.

I wish I could go into more detail on how each is different, but I haven't studied it enough lately. The best suggestion I have is drop into a few different tranny shops in your area and see what they offer. I don't really know how many places will carry upgrades. But there is always something stronger than stock.. The torque converter is ther really big thing. Most places should be able to do that for you.

I'll try to do some research and get back to you if I can. Good luck on your search. (Hope Tony weighs in soon)

-Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. could goodyear possible be a tranny shop? Because i live in oklahoma. Cars arent exactly a big thing out here. but i suppose i should just call around. thanks for hte information. any more advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
No. As far as I know (it might be different in your area), Goodyear is only tires. If you local phone book has a website, do a search on that. There should be a few around your area. Tranny shops are everywhere.

If you want,, you can PM Tony and see if I missed anything.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,583 Posts
To beef up an auto tranny you'll need the following;
-recalibrated valvebody
-stall torque convertor
-upgraded friction plates
-synthetic fluid
-auxillary ATF cooler

Your local mecahnic isn't gonna cut it. You need a shop that specializes in trannies, more specifically race trannies. Companies like Level10 do this kind of stuff but their reputation is somewhat questionable.

Read this site http://www.gadgetonline.com/Transmission.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts