Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sport and started towing a camper a couple years ago and now hate the lack of power of my Tacoma. I need advice on whether to sell it and get a 1/2 ton or install a supercharger.

I don't think my pop-up is so heavy (about 2500 lbs) that my truck should choke while towing it. I drive from Denver to Nebraska over rolling hills and it constantly has to shift down into 4th gear, or I just leave it there. When I drive up the grade into the foothills going home, it downshifts into 3rd. Seriously annoying. I want more torque so my truck barely notices the trailer. I'm not looking for increased street performance, my goal is strictly better towing (without severely impacting MPG).

Obviously, upgrading to a used 1/2-ton truck is way more expensive and time consuming than bolting on a supercharger (likely $15-20K vs. $5K) but I don't want to waste time going the S/C route if it's not going to improve towing performance enough or it causes increased maintenance headaches (I've left it totally stock to this point for a reason).

The specs I've seen for a supercharger raise Tacoma HP and torque into the low to mid-300's vs the low to mid-200's for stock. I'm concerned about those numbers. I ruled out the 2.7L Ford EcoBoost V6 because it was on the lower end of the 1/2-ton specs at 325hp and 400 ft lb torque. If I went with the F-150, I would opt for the bigger 3.5L EcoBoost instead at 375hp and 470 ft lb torque. The Ram HEMI is 395/410 and the Chevy is 355/383 for the 5.3L V8. All these 1/2 tons get as good or better gas mileage than my stock Tacoma. I'll admit I don't know squat about how much hp and torque I need to tow, but I know it's more than what I have because it currently sucks.

So, Love it (with a S/C) or List it?

If the recommendation is to install a S/C, any recommendations on a brand and where in the Denver area to get it installed (or easy enough to do myself?)?

One last thing that *might* be related. I find it odd that my truck (empty) doesn't pick up speed in overdrive on downhill grades. It has to be really steep to gain speed while coasting. Is it possible that something in my drivetrain is causing friction? I don't know if this is normal behavior and it's been like this for as long as I can remember, but don't remember if it did that when new. Never had the dealer mention any problems when serviced.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I'm with Xiong. I would upgrade to a Tundra before a domestic.

I am concerned about increased "other" issues with an added SC.

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
Agree with the above posts. I hadn't thought about a Gen 1 Tundra but it's a great suggestion. Dunno what the cost of adding a SC to your Taco would be, or if it might create other issues.

As to your Tacoma not picking up speed going downhill, the transmission is made to downshift on its own, especially if you touch the brake pedal. Apparently this is to reduce brake wear.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
I’m curious about the availability of the SC. I remember when Toyota discontinued it and there were only a few left. I assume all the new ones were sold out? So one has to find a used one, or are new ones still sitting on shelves?

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
For that kind of money -- plus installation which won't be cheap either -- I would definitely be looking for a different truck, such as the already suggested Gen-1 Tundra. It would be a more stable towing platform than a Tacoma anyway. This is assuming your Tacoma's towing capabilities really bother you enough to make the change. Interesting dilemma you have, and I hope you let us know what you decide to do...... and how satisfied you are with the change after the deal is done, whatever it might be.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the 2.7 Ecoboost.

Mile+ high doesn't help with power since you're engine is asphyxiating.

Supercharger will trash what little towing MPG you have.

Consider headers, y-pipe, exhaust, and intake if you haven't already.

Flush all drivetrain fluids with full synthetics and exercise any propshaft/slip/ujoint grease fittings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It funny you don't even list the Tundra!?! Do you know the Tundra is the most dependable 1/2 ton out there?
We have towed a 7000 lbs trailer some 50k miles with our '12 4.6 DC and get 10-12 mpg! I'll never give up my Tundra! More my 2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re gear your truck, I stumbled across this post in search of something else.. regear your truck to a numerically higher ratio. It should help with your tow capacity

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’m curious about the availability of the SC. I remember when Toyota discontinued it and there were only a few left. I assume all the new ones were sold out? So one has to find a used one, or are new ones still sitting on shelves?
Was just going to suggest URD too, specifically the same kit:

https://www.urdusa.com/magnuson-supercharger-2005-2015-tacoma-v6/

"Since the supercharger does not compress air as it moves through the rotors, it’s extremely efficient during light throttle and cruising situations. Unlike screw-type positive displacement superchargers that are always compressing, the MP90 unit can internally bypass unwanted air, resulting in a negligible parasitic loss during cruising and therefore far greater fuel economy."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts