Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a part missing from my 2006 Highlander luggage rack, must have fallen off while driving out of town this weekend. So I removed the other one on the right side to find a part number and discover is it broken and won't fasten back on. It's a small 2" x 4" cover over the screws that keep the cross bar connected to the vertical bars. Not sure I'm describing this right! First photo is the cover on the right side, 2nd photo is the missing on on the left side.

So, is there a place I might look for these parts besides a salvage yard?
IMG_20210609_090649347_HDR.jpg IMG_20210609_090700632_HDR.jpg

·
02 Highlander
28 Posts
I'm missing mine as well. I love going to junk yards but I wouldn't do it just for that part. I'm going to pull the bolt, scuff it up, wash with alcohol, then put 3 coats of semi-gloss black paint on it. Wrap some blue painter's tape around it, a little bit of thread locker and use a larger socket to tighten it back on.
My thought are that if I get used ones, they'll just fall out as well.
I doubt anyone will notice, but me....or you ;)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Highlander
17 Posts
I had mine crack around that same location and I just used epoxy to glue it back on. Been like that at least a year without falling off (I know that doesn't help you with the one you lost, but the right side one is likely salvageable).

·
Registered
2006 Highlander Hybrid 113K mi
7 Posts
I had this happen also in addition to some plastic tabs breaking while I was removing the entire roof mount for cleaning and maintenance. I ordered directly from Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store and priced several nearby dealers and ended up buying from the dealer that had the parts for 30% off and free shipping. The part #’s are 6349548010 and 6349648010, right and left roof luggage carrier side rail caps, respectively.
It took me a long time searching Toyota’s site to locate these parts that fit mine even having input my VIN as keyword searching produced numerous results from many models.
But they fit perfectly and I ended up replacing all 6 caps. The knobs are another story lol I had to replace one and still don’t have the exact part number even though the diagram indicates it. The one I received fits but the knob is huge compared to the others lol oh well

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this happen also in addition to some plastic tabs breaking while I was removing the entire roof mount for cleaning and maintenance. I ordered directly from Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store and priced several nearby dealers and ended up buying from the dealer that had the parts for 30% off and free shipping. The part #’s are 6349548010 and 6349648010, right and left roof luggage carrier side rail caps, respectively.
It took me a long time searching Toyota’s site to locate these parts that fit mine even having input my VIN as keyword searching produced numerous results from many models.
But they fit perfectly and I ended up replacing all 6 caps. The knobs are another story lol I had to replace one and still don’t have the exact part number even though the diagram indicates it. The one I received fits but the knob is huge compared to the others lol oh well
Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
I was just messing around with these cover caps the other day because I've got a rain leak in the rear of my 2002 and I think it's coming from the roof / luggage rack.

So how would one take the roof rack off? Is it as simple as taking out the bolts that are under the covers?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I think TheLowlander took his off and plugged the holes. Maybe he has not seen this post yet.

·
Registered
'02 Highlander V6
471 Posts

I would definitely recommend taking the rack off if you don’t intend on using it again. Even though the crossbars create the majority of the drag, I noticed an improvement with the whole rack itself off the car as well. Not to mention the rack weighs a solid ~40 lbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just messing around with these cover caps the other day because I've got a rain leak in the rear of my 2002 and I think it's coming from the roof / luggage rack.

So how would one take the roof rack off? Is it as simple as taking out the bolts that are under the covers?
Sorry for the delayed response but yes it is simple once you get those dang plastic covers off lol!

Now I didn’t remove anything underneath the bolts and rubber protectors. The channel inserts seem more involved and I couldn’t afford the time then though I wanted too. I have a channel end that’s slightly raised.

Anyways, I think the removal of the caps was how I discovered this awesome site!! I don’t recall exactly but I’ll try to look for thread and link it. It was very helpful for caps. Mine only broke due to age of plastic not instructions jtlyk.
I have to say though that after reassembly, it looks sharp lol! 😉

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lowlander, thanks for the link, I think I'll move my questions over to that thread.
I forgot to mention that using the diagrams from the oem Toyota parts site helped immensely with providing the layout for all of the parts involved in the process. It’s much easier to use your VIN for the search and the “categories” not “find parts that fit” for technical diagrams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to mention that using the diagrams from the oem Toyota parts site helped immensely with providing the layout for all of the parts involved in the process. It’s much easier to use your VIN for the search and the “categories” not “find parts that fit” for technical diagrams.

If you click on ‘view more diagrams’ one view of rack assembly is shown.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try this part for the knob
63498-42011 is what I bought and worked.
Thanks for part#! I’m going to order it soon. May I ask how you found correct part number? After receiving the huge knob, I went to same dealership I ordered from and thought they would be able to get the correct one for me, but perhaps I was dealing with a doofus who did take time to search and print additional diagrams with knobs that appeared the same but came to conclusion that I indeed had the ‘correct’ part. I’m so glad I mentioned it here and found you lol! (Not to mention I have a list of six other possible part #s that are not the number you provided)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Thanks for part#! I’m going to order it soon. May I ask how you found correct part number? After receiving the huge knob, I went to same dealership I ordered from and thought they would be able to get the correct one for me, but perhaps I was dealing with a doofus who did take time to search and print additional diagrams with knobs that appeared the same but came to conclusion that I indeed had the ‘correct’ part. I’m so glad I mentioned it here and found you lol! (Not to mention I have a list of six other possible part #s that are not the number you provided)
It was a while ago. I don't remember how I found it, but I think it shows up as the knob for the Rav4 or the 4runner when you look it up. Toyota is not as good at document quality control as they are automobile quality control.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response but yes it is simple once you get those dang plastic covers off lol!

Now I didn’t remove anything underneath the bolts and rubber protectors. The channel inserts seem more involved and I couldn’t afford the time then though I wanted too. I have a channel end that’s slightly raised.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Home 2005 Toyota Highlander Luggage Carrier 63495-48010
Center Cover - Toyota (63496-48010)
Center Cover - Toyota (63495-48010)
I discovered a part missing from my 2006 Highlander luggage rack, must have fallen off while driving out of town this weekend. So I removed the other one on the right side to find a part number and discover is it broken and won't fasten back on. It's a small 2" x 4" cover over the screws that keep the cross bar connected to the vertical bars. Not sure I'm describing this right! First photo is the cover on the right side, 2nd photo is the missing on on the left side.

So, is there a place I might look for these parts besides a salvage yard?
View attachment 337350 View attachment 337351
Thanks everyone for your help. I found the cap from a Kansas dealer, they had the lowest price, which wasn't cheap, but worth the splurge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
D2D6E9CD-028E-45D6-99E8-677CE6092C91.jpeg @C R
part 63498-42011 perfect fit 👍🏽 (According to Toyota’s ‘coded’ diagrams, this was not going to fit my vehicle lol) Thanks again!

P.S. not sure if I should ask this here or elsewhere, but @C R I just noticed that the parts you linked for op were for 2005 model. Should I be searching for 1 year earlier, since the year prior is technically when the vehicle is finished and ready to be sold in its debut year?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts