Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I managed to break one of the mounting pins when removing the passenger side rear tail light housing on my 96 LE sedan. The area around the pin in the housing broke out and the pin remained in the white plastic socket piece attached to the body work. The three strikes: my stupid brute forcing; nearly 15 year-old plastic; surface rust on the pin, shooting the friction on the socket thru the roof. I glued the broken part back into the housing and it seemed to hold for a while, but I recently noticed the leading edge of the housing was floating free. Today, it was much farther away from the body cutout than usual - enough to see in and notice the white socket piece had fallen out of it's mounting and was just rattling around. I was actually able to pull the white piece out from behind the tail light housing from the outside.

So now I need to replace the tail light housing (not thrilled, as a recent set of OEM-ish headlights were slightly off enough to break the supplied brackets during installation). But I also need to replace the white socket piece as it is not just broken at the tail light pin socket, but also at the tangs that are expanded into the body work hole by the mounting screw. The problem: after a preliminary on-line search, I cannot find this piece. It doesn't help that I have no idea what it's proper name is, or if I need two (different?) of these for remounting the tail light assembly.

So: Help! What are these pieces called, and where can I get them? I'm not sure I can even describe them well enough over the phne to a dealership parts department!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts