Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CAMRY 3.5 SE
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the regular red bulbs. I tried the gel caps, they lasted longer. LED's didn't work for some reason. Is it true that with the LED bulbs, if it doesn't work one way then if you flip it, it will work? I'm tired of orangish brake lights. Though with the Gel caps, i'm gettin a nice pinkish hue. If u all know of a good way of gettin continuos red brake lights for my clear lenses, let me know. Or else I'll have to get the trucker LED's that I saw on a car in this forum.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
you said you tried the regular red bulbs, by that do you mean the ones that are stained red on the outside?

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Heh I went to Michaels, grabbed a red pen designed for use on glass dinnerware that's meant to go through the strains of a dishwasher... repainted my bulbs. I plan on re-painting as they wear out again. That's my only solution for now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought red 194's from www.autolumination.com and they are holding up nicely.

To answer your other question, yes it is true that led's are polarized. If they dont light up after plugging them in, chances are you have them in backwards.

- Paul

·
Dream Theater
170 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, after a while the bulbs start to turn an orange/pinkish color. I accually got pulled over last year cuz of that.

I just have my stock tail lights on for now, Im eventually gonna get some LED's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if LED's don't work im not sure what would.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Dude the way I made the bulbs saty red was by buying some Testor's Candy Apple Red Model Spray Paint and Painting the Bulbs red:thumbup: After a few coats the Bulbs will glow a nice deep red:thumbup:

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
I too had those crappy bulbs in my clear tails, mine wore out and I got pulled over for it as well. I am now running full LEDs in the tails and they work great at night, but they are a little dull during a sunny day. Im happy with their performance overall.

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
LED = Light emitting DIODE
A diode only allows current to flow one direction through it. This is how they convert a/c current from your wall to d/c for use in most circuits. Of course those type don't light up!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Clear tails a good idea or do you guys get hassled by alot of cops?? cuz i'm ordering those for my bday on my gurlfriends expense.. is it worth it considering my stock tail has a huuge crack in it??

·
Registered
2011 CAMRY 3.5 SE
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, red rubber covers are the gel caps from pep boys. I used Permanent marker, lasted only 3 nights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts