Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a little economical work commuter, im a dodge guy but gotta drive the big girl too far so i came across a fella with 2 trucks for sale, one is a 1992 toyota 4wd 3.0 v6. its a nice truck and i know you cant beat toyotas quality, a buddy of mine has owned them for years many of which i fell in love with. The other is a 4cyl nissan . The nissan is a nice ride but i cant get the toyota out of my mind, both are same price but the toyota has a pretty severe oil leak, my question to you is whether or not you all would recommend the toyota over the nissan, bias aside if possible, im bias myself and want the yota, im a mechanic by living just not on cars but a oil pan gasket is not far fetched . but from what i understand the 3.0 had headgasket failure due to bimetal head and block combos. I know this isnt the usual question nor a easy one to answer i just need a push. i know the toyota wont get the fuel mileage the nissan will but i just cant let it go , its clearly not the economical choice but it would sit better next to my dodge. thanks guys.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
How many miles on the yota & where is the oil leak? Valve cover leaks are COMMON because ppl don't use the FSM when replacing the gasket & a simple application of FIPG will prevent them.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
If you're looking for something economical and reliable, get a Toy with the 22RE 4 cyl, not the 3.slo

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just did a weekend trip to see my kids, drove 765 miles and bought 31.9 gallons of gas. You do the math. Point is, not all v6s are the same and I wouldnt take for mine and Ive had lots of offers.....trucks a 90 sr5 4x4 extended cab.......Rick

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If the Nissan is in good shape and is a 4 cyl, I would recommend that over the Toyota V6. I already have the six, so I make the best of it, but I would never buy another one knowing what I know now. Save yourself trouble and money.

If the Nissan is in the 90-97 range, it has almost the hp of the Toyota V6 and much better reliability and gas mileage. The hardbody Nissans are bomber, just like the Toyotas.

Only thing I'd check is that the Nissan has power steering. Many don't, and if they don't, they are near impossible to parallel park, lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the toyota has 143000 the nissan has 114000. the oil leak on the yota is severe so where its coming from i cant really tell, oil pan is what it seems cause its dripping down the tanny bell housing . but thanks for the info fellas it really helps, i appreciate the non bias responses as well, i just got my first place so money isnt in the pocket as deep as i want it to be so thats why i needed his advice, im too indecisive to make up my own mind when its 2k$ where talking. i will let you know what end up getting .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Having owned both- get the Nissan. Their 4 cylinder is stout, reliable and efficient.

The newer Nissan 4 cylinders make almost as much power as the Ford 3.0 V6. The Toyotas are great, don't get me wrong, but the Nissans always seem like they are more truck for the money. My dad's Frontier feels beefier than the same year Tacoma. Likewise with the Hardbody Nissans and my truck.

I like my Toyota alot, but I was actually looking for a Nissan when I found it. It's been great, but it is a little harder to work on than the Nissans I've had (I actually PAID someone to change the fuel filter).

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
if it is a choice between the Toyota 3.0 and a Nissan with a 4cyl i would rather have the Nissan. the 3.0's have too many problems with them. when they run good they are fine but it was not one of Toyota best.

·
'91 V6 5sp 4WD Xtra Cab
86 Posts
You're doing this to save money, right? Don't want to push the Dodge all those miles? It's between a Toyota V6 w/ a severe oil leak and 143k and a Nissan 4 w/ apparently nothing wrong and 114k? No brainer- buy the Nissan.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hey! Is this ToyotaNation or NissanNation??!

(Oh wait, I recommended the Nissan too :disappoin )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts