Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, new to the forum, been trolling for the last few days. ill cut to the chase, ive always liked the mk2 mr2's and decided to look into buying one. i found one local, but im not sure if i can trust the car. its in the shop right now getting a new clutch put in, and the guy is supposed to contact me when he find out the install will be done so i can take a look at it.

What i need is advice on whether to seriously look at it or just pass it by. if i am to consider buying it please give me tips on what to look/check for. the guy told me he would go as low as 5500, but im going to shoot for 5k. any input would be greatly appreciated and im sorry if i post this in the wrong section

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/1795526704.html

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
I would want proof of the JDM engine swap and it's mileage.
And that said, some ofthe JDM engine parts may be difficult to come by here in the USA, as opposed to the USDM models.
The sunroof'ed MR2's are pretty rare. It is a good find.
I would do a compression check and check the compressor side of the turbo for excessive oil and shaft play.
Oher than that, look for the usual stuff when buying a used car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well the intake manifold is a JDM one...But that could mean that only the manifold is JDM; it doesn't mean the whole motor is...

I don't know what he's talking about that he needed a wire harness built, the motors are the same and have the same wire harness, minus the emission components; unless you get the Gen3 motor, then you need to build/swap the wire harness.

MR2Jedi is right about checking for shaft play and doind a compression test on the engine. I'm not possitive, but I think the factory compression is somewhere around 180.

Although, unless the motor is a gen3, internally it's identical to the USDM version.

For the turbo Mr2's in general, they can be very reliable cars; but to get that you need to keep up on all the maintenance and not overlook any noise you hear(Turning up the radio so you can't hear it won't cut it)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys. ive never done a compression check before, is this something i can do myself or will i need to take it to a shop to have done? also, how difficult is it to pull the turbo, or remove enough parts that i can check the compressor side? thanks again

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
You don't have to remove the turbo to check it. Just pull of the intake elbow, visually inspect for excessive oil and feel the blade sahft for play(when turbo is cold).
Compression testers run about $25.00.
After engine is warmed up, it's a matter of removing the spark plugs, removing the fuel pump fuse, inserting the tester, opening the throttle and cranking the engine over a couple of times to get a reading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts