Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pissed
Camry
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, most of you know more about these motors than i do, soooo.... heres my problem:

92 camry 5sfe 5 speed

Last year Had some problems found out it was a rod.

Bought a new car, and the camry sits in my driveway (i am not parting out)

Found a newer style engine with coils instead of a distributor, i dont know what year it is.

I just now decided to get it fixed so i can sell it, and put the money into my J-body.

So my question is, Will my 92 cylinder head with distributor work with the newer style block? I need to know soon, so i can get rid of this damn thing. Will i need to modify the block or cylinder head in any way? Time to spend on the motor is not a problem Just tell me will it work? or would i be wasting my time getting the motor, and pulling it apart?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
so is it still a 5sfe though?

·
Pissed
Camry
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes still a 5sfe, but im not sure which year it is, all i know is that it has the coils instead of a distributor

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
if it is the distrubutor-less 5s-FE it is most likely out of a 4th gen camry.

·
Pissed
Camry
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well my head is "distrubutor-ful".... If i swap heads, will my 92 head with a 97+ 5sfe block does anybody have a pic of a 97 cylinder head? that i can compare to my 92 cylinder head and see if its different? i need a pic of valve side please

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
the biggest thing you are going to ahve to worry about is there being a spot to actually mount your distributor. have you looked at the end of the head where the dist. mounts to make sure there is a spot for it. also if the cams that are in the Gen4 5SFE dont have a dist. then it is possble that there will be no way to run your dist. off of thecam in the newer engine. I do not know any of this for fact but some things you may want to verify before you start tearing down and get to involved init.

·
Pissed
Camry
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well, im using my old head....

and also, the newer head can take a distributor, you have to remove the plug at the end of the motor on the intake cam, and the intake has the notches to accept the distibutor. I thought that was PRETTY FREAKIN COOL!

But remember, im just using the BLOCK and Crank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts