Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Tacoma
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Tacoma right now that I love, but am thinking about trading it if for a Tundra. The dealer is giving me a good trade in price. I just like having a larger truck. Here are my concerns.

MPG. Is there much different between the Tacoma 6cyl and the Tundra 5.7?

I like the Tacoma because it is smaller and easier to maneuver. I test drove the Tundra and it seemed to maneuver pretty good to, but that is on a test drive, so it is hard to tell from that. It didn't feel like a larger truck too much anyhow.

I like the interior of the Tundra. I wanted to go with a double cab since I don't need the Crew max, but the crew max is the only one that comes with the power rear window which I like for some odd reason. I know that I will loose a little bed length, but with the crew max, I have more inside cargo which I guess would be useful and have the option to use it for passengers if I needed to.

The dealer has the exact truck I want, except they have the crew max, not the double cab. I am trying to justify going to with a double cab so that I can get the power rear window option.

i like a nice, smooth ride. This Tundra I am looking at does have the Rock Warrior package. I don't off road, but I like the appearance of the RW. The ride didn't seem all that much different than a basic Tundra, but then again, I only tested drove both.

Just trying to make a decision here and it is a hard one. Any help, suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
All great questions and concerns...here's my experience and two cents. I work for the regional Toyota distributor in Texas and have had plenty of opportunities to drive the vehicles. You have the Tacoma and know the vehicle well. For months, I was certain I wanted to buy the Tacoma double-cab with long bed, TRD Sport package, until I spoke to many of my colleagues about their experiences. It's a great truck -- no question. But EVERY person I spoke with was very disappointed in it's MPG and were trying to get out of the Tacoma and into a Tundra as quickly as possible. I began looking at the 4.7L V8 Tundra and now I'm convinced I'll be ordering one this week. The V6 supposedly gets 17/21. The 4.7 V8 gets 15/20. You get a more capable truck, a super ride, a ridiculously tight turning radius for a full-size truck, usable back seat even in the DC, PLENTY of power to tow and so on. If it's me, I'm passing on the 5.7 and opting for the lesser V8 with better MPG. The Crew Max is a beauty and it's like a Cadillac in the back seat. I'm not crazy about the shorter bed though. Good luck on your decision. You really can't go wrong either way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i am in the same exact boat. i got an 08 that almost 2 years old and early this year picked up a 15 foot enclosed trailer that i regularly haul 2-3 motorcycles up and down the east coast. i love my lil taco, but after pulling my trailer with buddy's dodge ram 1500 i realize i am really pushing the potential of the taco (it does have towing package) the part that worries me the most (among a few issues) is the braking, ive slid the whole truck and trailer a few times when traffic has jammed up. living in northernVA/DC area the taco is perfect for tighter parking and daily driving esp. parking garage at work. the tundra is just shy of 2 feet longer :-(

·
07 Tundra DC 5.7 4WD TRD
406 Posts
I opt'ed for the 5.7 Tundra because I tow a boat in the summer. There are no concerns with that package towing any reasonable kind of weight or configurations. It'll get better gas mileage when towing, over a V-6. If you never tow, go for the Tacoma. If you opt for the Tundra, get the 5.7 IMO. Down the road resale might be better too. If you go CrewMax....isn't the 5.7 standard anyway?

Good deals out there. Bottom line....it's your money, spend it wisely!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Be sure to do alot of driving before you make a choice. I had a 2005 Tacoma DC 4x4 that I loved but figured it was time for a bigger truck. I feel like it was a huge mistake. The Tacoma was enjoyable to drive everyday, no bed bounce, no jiggly ride and yes the parking is much better. If I could do it all over again I would have never got my DC 4x4, I love the room and power but everyday I drive it to work Im reminded of the horrible sloppy ride. They should have never taken a basically Tacoma frame and made it a full size frame, there is just way to much flex, in the Tacoma it was fine, in the Tundra its not strong enough.

Funny the Tacoma was never advertized with the Triple-tech frame but if you go look under both trucks they are basically the same exact frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned three tacomas and a T-100. I finally purchased a Tundra. I got the doublecab. There is no comparison with the taco and tundra. Both are good trucks but the Taco simply lacks the power I want in a truck. I am still in awe of the power of the Tundra.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,891 Posts
I don't know where you are in the world of having kids, but i have 2 and I am getting tired of my toddlers feet kicking the back of my seats in my 07 double cab tacoma. So I am in the same boat trying to figure out if i want to go to the crewmax tundra. I definitely wont have kids kicking the back of my seat in a crewmax. and for me, the bed size will still be an upgrade considering I have the short bed tacoma. just my 2 cents. That 0% apr is very inviting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just sold my 2007 V6 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab and purchased a new Tundra 4x4 Double Cab with the smaller V8 engine. Other than being harder to park, I like the Tundra much better. And the combined highway/city MPG is almost the same even though the Tundra has a lot more power.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Tundra
4 Posts
Crew Max is enormous and three grand more. If you like a SUV but want a truck still, go crewmax. If you like to use a truck for a truck, and a standard crew cab truck will suit you fine, go with the double cab, and save three grand, cause the rebate is only 500 more on a crew. So dont shell out an extra 2500 unless its really what suits your needs. 2. if you are gonna get a Tundra, go 5.7. 99% of the market is looking for a 5.7, so when you trade, you'll fair much better. Also its how you drive that delegates your fuel economy. Keep it in the floor and the 5.7 gets thirsty. But at nearly 400hp, 400ftlbs of torque, 4 valves per cylinder, and the advanced intake system you can get around quite well without ever getting into the pedal very much. And you can have a pwr sliding rear window on an SR5 model in a double cab. The tacoma is hands down the BEST midsize pickup out there, but for the money difference, ride quality, capabilities and performance, Id take a TUNDRA over one any day. Plus you can slap a K&N system on that motor and reap another 1-1.5 mpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts