Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im about to do some internal modification to my 93 jdm 3sgte. i need some advice on pistons and rods combo. whats better (je pistons,arias,eagle,cp pistons and rods.) whats the best bang for the buck. im trying for 450hp+. moneys not an issue

·
Registered
443 Posts
450+HP

wow... out of my leage.... iv herd 5s stock rods going as high as 900 but thats a 5s.. im shure the 3s Stock rods arent to bad...

JE Pistons are popular. from what i understand you can pull 450 with a stock bottem end, but upgrading the internals is recomended. i think in the case of 450Hp your going to be more intrested in geting good barings.

(if money is no object why dont you biuld a 5sGTE hybrid and make 500+HP with almost no intrernal upgrades.... ) hehe dont listen to my 5s crazy talk....

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would go rith some arias forged pistons and either Crower billet rods, or eagle H-beam rods.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
best bang for buck.....ROSS pistons....and eagle rods....add some ARP head bolts and rod bolts....that is gonna be my setup....if ur shooting for over 400rwhp....u better be thinking cams...full EMS...top feed fuel rail (with min 780cc injectors)...some sort of fuel pressure regulator (i went with aeromotive)...the stock intake manifold will be at its limits too around 350rwhp...u will need a custom one.....good luck n keep us posted...

my best advice to u...make sure money is no object because its better to do it right the first time....then blow a motor and have to re do it all over again.....speed is not cheap...:(

forgot to mention....u'll also need a gt-30 or another similar sized turbo to make that kind of power....add in a twin disk or six puck clutch to harness it too.....

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
what motor is in ur car now??....93 jdm??....genII or genIII??....do some research and then think again how much power u want to make.....when ur reaching for 400rwhp range...u need some deep pockets.....a bigger turbo and ALL the proper supporting mods are required....if i had to do my entire setup all over again...i would have just stuck with my stock motor and gotten a ct-20b...that would have saved me thousands....

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ You would have stuck with a ct20b??? You think that is comparable to your t3/t4? Can't you boost like 18psi on that turbo (ct20b)?

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^it wouldn't have compared to it....but then i could have kept mods to a min...not have to build my motor.....and save myself a ton of money...the ct-20b prolly would have been fast enough...less headaches with tuning and every thing else....

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Ya... I was thinking of getting a ct20b also.... should I do it? I don't plan on doing anything over 300rwhp. Probably not even that... I don't want too many maintainance problems.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^do it....direct swap in turbo..u won't need a whole host of supporting mods either...i've had to re do my entire exhaust system (make it a full 3" system)....entire fuel system....$$$$$....

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^^ eww..... doesn't sound like fun. Sure it's a blast to drive when it's not down though. I could have picked one up for $900 a while back... but I didn't have the cash. Actually I don't have the cash now either (damn swap :hammer: ), but that would probably be my top choice. I see them going around mr2oc a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^i've already got most of the pieces together now....just have to get the motor pulled once my tuner can make some time.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts