Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i drive a 89 toyota pickup 22re. i definitly want to put an air intake kit on it and get the exhaust done. but what i was wondering is something else i could do to it to get some quick hp. i was thinking about putting an electric supercharger on it but im not sure it would fit. any info would be greatly appreacitated.
thanks

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
intake sorta kinda, headers, 2.00/2.25 in piping, free(er) flowing muffler, cam. thats the down and dirty for a 22re. anything beyond that is more money and time. elec supercharger is useless, ecu mods are nonsense unless you get stand alone. theres always port and polishing. remeber for the R series motors most power will be made up in the head. lastly you have a 22re not a 2jz or 3sgte dont expect alot of power but alot of miles on the od.

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
i just installed a header. im pulling the cat and installing a flowmaster muffler...then a cam. like rogerman said..anything beyod that is more money and time. but i would start with those three things and if your not happy, you can dig in to more work.

p.s. on a 4wd, intakes are pretty much useless, there was a thread about how the paper filter keeps more shit out as compared to other filters. look it up, its why i left the oe intake on my 4runner. i put aftermarket on the pickup cuz it just drives on the street.

·
www.bodybuilding.com
254 Posts
rogerman said:
intake sorta kinda, headers, 2.00/2.25 in piping, free(er) flowing muffler, cam. thats the down and dirty for a 22re. anything beyond that is more money and time. elec supercharger is useless, ecu mods are nonsense unless you get stand alone. theres always port and polishing. remeber for the R series motors most power will be made up in the head. lastly you have a 22re not a 2jz or 3sgte dont expect alot of power but alot of miles on the od.

Very well said. We may not have alot of power but our motors do last forever! I spent tons of money on my engine buildup and it is pretty quick for a 4cyl but not what you would expect :)

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
sounds to me like if your lacking power you may not be lacking power but maybe gears.

i put 5.29's in my truck, wow what a difference in power and torque thats kinda odd you say your lacking power

also with a shaved head, did you get the adjustable cam gear, shaving a head or block more than .010" retards your valve timing and WILL make a lazy engine...

·
www.bodybuilding.com
254 Posts
Luckily I went with a lc head :) Yea I think I need to gear mine soon, but I rive it on the hwy alot also. So...I dunno what to do. Maybe after I graduate college this time I will get a sports car for a dd and use the truck for off road fun only :)

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts
I have the stock intake and everything, but I do have a K&N air filter. That Bob the Oil Guy says K&N let through a ton more particles of dirt than any other filter and that the stock paper filters actually filtered the best. Well, I just got done cleaning my throttle body and I would like you guys to know that there was no oil buildup (the oil that K&N uses to re-oil their lifetime filters, supposedly they'll gunk up your intake and ruin your MAF) on the inside of the tubes, no oil buildup on the throttle body, and the throttle body was extremely clean for the amount of miles since the last cleaning. I was surprised at how clean it was, it almost didn't need cleaning except for a small amount of dirt right in front of the butterfly.

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
hmmm auto 22re. its not going to get you anywhere fast but it will get you there everytime be lucky its not an auto 3vz. uhm get a 60/40 split bench seat and get more head because theres no shifters in the way. haha. maybe you ought to flush out your auto tranny and fill it up with synthetic stuff then maybe new exhaust system. go to a muffler shop and have them do it for you. as for headers go either LC or northwest if you can stand the customer service or actually get the headers. maybe just maybe you might be lucky enough to find a w56 tranny and ecu to swap out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You could always replace your stock fan with an electric one. I plan on doing this soon. I actually think the clutch in the fan is stuck so it's always turning. I Can feel a big drain on power when the fan is always engaged.

·
Registered
177 Posts
this right here will give you all the power you ever wanted!

Yes boys and girls, that is a CARBURATED LS2!! (The same engines as your standard C6 corvette has but only carburated and with MORE hp and MORE tq!)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL-17802134&N=700+1012+115&autoview=sku

If my 3vze gives up the ghost anytime soon one of those babies is going under my hood!

440hp and over 300ftlbs of tq at 2,000rpm with a pancake flat torque curve! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
the gears makes a good point I was a "honda" man for a while and the quick cars that I had never got over 200hp but the gearing being shorter is where the pep is. You can take a 100whp civic that ways a lil less than a 2wd 22re yota and run a 9.7 1/8th mile with just cai and exhaust then you can do it in a truck. My prelude is 190hp (crank) and it weighs 200 lbs more than my yota but it hauls ass do to the "short gearing". and I know how peeps feel about honda's etc... but there is a differ between a "ricer" and a honda performance enthusiast. Thank you. lates.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my '94 extended cab 4x4 22re I have: LC header, new catalytic converter, 2 inch pipe to the muffler and 2.25 after that, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, K&N FIPK intake, EB 268 Torker cam, EB oversize SS valves.

No qustion all of this made a difference. Before I coudn't maintain 70 in fifth gear pulling a decent hill. Now I can at half-throttle or less. However, it's still a little 4-banger and won't throw you back in the seat or anything like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I haven't had it very long, but what driving I have done so far I can tell there's more torque at cruising speed. I haven't noticed any difference in the torque curve other than it does very well from 3000-4000, but kind of wimpers out after 4500 or so.

I almost got the 261. I'm very curious how much better it would get me off the line. What's your take on the 261?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts