Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I've got an 88 Camry which we use for short distances and errands like groceries. Before I found this forum, my main goal for it was to just keep it running till it dies. I've had it for about 5 yrs now. Got it at 99K miles, and it has about 153K now. I thought that was a lot of miles and it probably is close to its end. But after reading this forum, I've realized that maybe it's not near its end and maybe it can go much longer with some care. Also, I've developed some interest in learning more about how things work in the car and how to fix minor stuff without going to a mechanic and throwing money. I managed to fix a minor issue with the hi beam indicator with help from this forum, and that's added to my interest. Sooo, with that background, here's my current problem.

When I drive the car, either first thing in the day or when it's been standing for a few hours, I don't get much power in the first gear. The car shakes a bit, doesn't respond much to my pressing the gas, till it gets to around 30 mph and in the 2nd or 3rd gear and then it takes off and the acceleration is normal. Once the temperature gauge shows normal operating temperature, which is just below the half way mark, the lack of power is not as much as before.

The car had been standing in Houston for several months and wasn't driven. Before I brought it to Austin, I had all the fluids as well as the spark plugs and wires changed. A few years ago, I had a head rebuilt/changed because the car had been heating up for a while and the auto shop had told me that the head needed to be changed. I don't remember why. I also don't remember if this problem had been going on before that. I think it was.

Would appreciate any tips on how and how much I can improve performance, within realistic limits of course since it's old, but just what I can do in general to keep it running well. Thanks!

·
poor college student
1,367 Posts
Well, the first hing you should do when your car is acting funny is do a tuneup: air filter, oil filter, oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor.

If that doesn't solve the problem, take it to a car parts store and have them test your timing. If your timing isn't at the 10degree mark , that could be your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the fluids were changed before I brought the car here. I knew a good mechanic in Houston who did the work and didn't charge me an arm and a leg. The oil and air filters are Toyota OEM. I don't think the distributor cap and rotor were changed. What is their function exactly? How could they contribute to this? I'm totally new at this. :) Spent my life playing with computers mostly.

The fuel filter, if I remember, was changed when the timing belt was changed. That was a few years ago. I haven't had the timing checked. I'll get that done. What exactly is a pvc valve?

I don't have an overall reduction in response or power. It's just at the beginning, when the car's in 1st gear and it begins moving. It's as if something holds it back for the 1st 20 miles or so and then lets it go.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,217 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
ah don't forget the fuel filter and pvc valve:thumbup:
There is no PCV valve on a gen2 4-cylinder motor... get your facts straight. :)

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,217 Posts
To the original poster:

Check the operation of the cold start injector... that's the only obvious thing that I can think of that is active for the first few minutes the car is on... If its not working, it might hurt cold start running.

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a great looking Camry, ISU. I'm ashamed to look at mine, now. The paint is worn out badly and it just looks old, poor thing. I will look into the fuel filter and the cold start injector. How hard is it to replace these yourself? Do you have to get under the timing belt to reach the fuel filter? Where exactly is the cold start injector located? Thanks.

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
bhairya said:
I will look into the fuel filter and the cold start injector. How hard is it to replace these yourself? Do you have to get under the timing belt to reach the fuel filter? Where exactly is the cold start injector located?
Cold start injector is located on the intake manifold.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=50701

Fuel filter is mounted to the frame. Look in area below the air filter box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.