Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into an exhaust setup recently and wanted to know your suggestions on what a good exhaust or muffler would be for my gen4. Is it worth getting one off ebay? (i know, you get what you pay for)

Also, how many people think i should do single or dual exhaust?

Thanks for you input.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
i have trd...but i now wish i would have got an apex.

Edit: on a normal drive, apex are nice deep toned, on flooring it, yeah they are loud, but if you drive normally, with normal revs, then i wouldn't consider apex loud.

My current trd one is like STOCk with a little tone.

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
A buddy of mine just recently installed a 5Zigen on his gf's ITR. It's pretty nice sounding, pretty deep. But i'm not sure if its because she got some headers to go along with the muffler, thats why it sounded deep and throaty.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys, but UfoZ8myCow, remember that i'll be swapping into 1mzfe in the near future.

Any price range on these exhaust you guys are talking about? Thanks for the infos.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
what about one of these? http://www.aero-turbine.com

the site has pics and sound clips, there is a honda accord v6 and it sounds very nice, dont know how the 4 cylinders will sound but i think for a v6 one of these mufflers and a resonator will sound very nice

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3/2012 Ford Escape
7,129 Posts
if you're swapping in a 1mz-fe, get two mufflers, but only install one...

you'll have to redo your piping anyway, once you swap the engine, when you do, just add the 2nd muffler...

Matrix makes a good sounding exhaust (have one on our 93 5SFE camry)

it has dual tips, and combined with the cat back, it sounds great...

it isnt deep (i dont know why you guys like deep sounding mufflers, it's just not my thing), it sounds sorta like an I6, it's a constant smooth sound, with no popping or buzzing...

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
just be sure if you go custom to get a resonator put in- or no matter what muffler you have its going to sound all raspy and nasty :D

jon

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i know that once i swap into the 1mz, that'll i'll need 2.5 piping anyway so i'm gonna get the entire piping done to 2.5 inches. I'm also thinking about a resonator, maybe even a cat. Depends on how much everything will cost. Any other info i should know about before searching for something that i shouldn't get?

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
war0827 said:
well, i know that once i swap into the 1mz, that'll i'll need 2.5 piping anyway so i'm gonna get the entire piping done to 2.5 inches. I'm also thinking about a resonator, maybe even a cat. Depends on how much everything will cost. Any other info i should know about before searching for something that i shouldn't get?
Going with 2.5" piping won't do you any good right now or in the future. When you do the 1MZFE swap, you'll need to have all your piping redone anyhow because of placement differences.

You'll also lose power from going with such large piping on the 5sfe.

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
magnaflow sounds pretty good..except i wish i had a better res cus it only sounds good once the engine warms up

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
i have been thinking about an exhaust upgrade as well...
I have a 1MZ engine, I assume upgrading to 2.5 piping is the way to go? My stock muffler is a dual tip, is this a true dual? or just the design of it?

This is the impression of what an upgraded exhaust system looks like:

Pipe from header (downpipe) -> Cat -> Pipe (2.5) -> Resonator -> Pipe (2.5) -> New muffler

Am I right about this?

I'm not all too familar with upgrading exhaust system. But I really like the sound of 350Z and I6 exhaust tone. I don't want no Honda thrashy, raspy, and no buzzing... just want straight deep, smooth, throaty mellow sounding exhaust.

How will i achieve this?

Thanks (hope i'm not jacking war0827's post here)

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
thx bluemeanie,

however, is my concept about an exhaust upgrade correct?
And at what point of my exhaust system should I start the upgrade? start from the Cat on? or after resonator?
And I don't think there is any shop at where I live that offers mandrel bend... is that really important?
And also what price range should I be expecting?
I live in Calgary btw.

I dont' want to sound like an idiot when I walk into a muffler shop and get overcharged.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Yes, mandrel bent tubing is important if you want to actually get a performance increase. Crush-bent tubing is horrible for flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts