Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New Truck Owner
20 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a ladder rack or some other means of mounting a kayak safely on top of the back of a Tacoma?

What did you use, did it work?

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
I'll be taking two kyaks up to maine in June. I just ordered a roof rack and am going to put on a couple J mounts.

I have carried a couple kyaks in the bed before with the bed extender.

Only short 9ft ones though, I wouldn't do any longer that way.

If you go that route, get a 2x4 and drill a couple 1.5in holes through it and strap it onto the bed extender, the legs on the bed extender can dent and potentially crack cheaper kyaks, better to have a smooth flat rest.

Reason I am going with the roof rack this time round is 1 of the kyaks was replaced with a 13ft monster, and I just ordered a tool box so I lost 20in and have another 4 feet to manage....

·
New Truck Owner
20 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, what type of roof rack? I also am going to mount 2 kyaks, toyota told me their rack is only good for 75 lbs, I am afraid that might be to weak over the long hall, my weight will be close to 75 for both.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
I ordered the OEM one. if it seems to sag any I'll probly just get a couple towels and put in some wood spacer/supports easy enough.

The long kyak is a lightweight(aka ladies) kyak at only about 30lb. The other one is 9ft and about the same. So I will be looking at about 60-70lbs.

If Toyota says it can handle 75 lbs. I am sure it can probly handle up to 100, but for CYA they say 75.

Again, if it seems to sag, a couple pieces of 2x4(depending on height of the bars) wrapped in a small hand towel to protect the paint can be inserted for support. Drill a hole through the piece of wood and throw a cable tie through it to tie it to the cross bar to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

might get some whistling, but a wind panel will block that, and its not like the kyaks are up there all the time either, just vacations trips to the river or lake.

I came close to buying a Thule rack, but found too many reviews of it causing rust in the door frame(where there is metal on metal) or hitting something and causing some problems that way.

For only needing the roof rack 2-3 times a year, I like the perm install with folding out of the way capability. I HATE buying stuff and then having it sit in the garage unused, even if its on the truck and unused I am happier :loL:

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Side note, OEM ones should be here on Monday, I'll get them installed either Monday or Tuesday and will post some pics :thumb:

Gunna be going to Maine in June with the 2 kyaks, again, will post pics of that as well.

ETA - Xwedge has a Yakima mount if I am not mistaken, thats also nice!!!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296029

1 - 6 of 6 Posts