Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was stolen while it was running in my driveway, (went back in the house to get something), police recovered it two weeks later with some right front bumper damage. My original key and remote was not recovered so I now have to pay about $1200 to have the truck re-keyed. State Farm will not pay for the re-keying even though some little punk azz beech in my neighborhood has my original key and remote. Lesson learned here is to never leave my truck running by itself anywhere. My fault, I've done it hundreds of times especially in winter. I thought I lived in a nice section of Las Vegas but you can't trust anyone anywhere. Good thing was my house keys were not on the same key ring as my truck.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
i say let em steal it, then state farm can replace the entire truck instead of some lowsy key...hahaha.

I had this happen too... my house was robbed, keys stolen and not recovered. insurance said they wouldn't replace them..... i told them, yea that makes sense that you'd rather replace a $25K truck than a $200 key.... real smart of em'. :)

·
Registered
07 Silver Taco
419 Posts
sorry to hear that bro, hope they find those low life scum bags. My bro lives in LV over by the air field. When I go visit him we should grab a beer:chug:hope all turns out well

Bill

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i say let em steal it, then state farm can replace the entire truck instead of some lowsy key...hahaha.

I had this happen too... my house was robbed, keys stolen and not recovered. insurance said they wouldn't replace them..... i told them, yea that makes sense that you'd rather replace a $25K truck than a $200 key.... real smart of em'. :)
They probably wouldn't have had to replace the $25K vehicle, since the keys were left in it, so sad.

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
that does suck. if you're just worried about them stealing the whole truck, you don't have to replace all the locks, you can just have a new master key programmed to the ecu, which will override the old key, making it unable to start the truck. only thing about that though is of course they will still be able to get into the truck with the key.
anyway, that's an expensive lesson. sorry to hear about that.

·
"Silver Streakin"
168 Posts
What shooter said, and install an aftermarket alarm system so it will go off when they try to access the truck and if you really wanna make sure it doesn't go anywhere install a fuel pump kill switch.

turfdoc

·
Drive it like you stoleit
06 x-runnr
111 Posts
I thought I lived in a nice section of Las Vegas
Is there such a thing?

I was gonna say most insurance companies will not cover your vehicle under theft if the keys are left in it. I'd consider 1200$ cheap in that case.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Why not just install vehicle tracking, track your vehicle online where ever it goes, and i think it has a cut off to the ignition also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts