Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got to try to get rid of, or at least make less severe, my trans shift shock in my 94 xle v6 a541e/1mzfe if possible, so i'm looking for a recommendation from among the top 4 brands that i'm trying to decide between, hopefully based on your own experience.
here are the brands, ranked according to the research i've done. please rank them according to your experience though please. and feel free to include your experience. i'm especially interested in shift shock/harsh shifting, as opposed to slipping or shuddering or overheating or other trans related problems as mine doesn't have any of those.

1. redline
2. amsoil
3. royal purple
4. castrol multi vehicle

thanks much
tony

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
1. redline
2. amsoil
3. royal purple
y
Dont waste $10+ a quart on boutique fluid like this if your trans is acting up. These fluids are not worth the money.

The Castrol is a decent fluid. I personally use Valvoline Maxlife which is a fully synthetic high mileage ATF.

If you are getting harsh shifts use a cheaper non synthetic fluid (Castrol) and add a bottle of Lucas trans fix. The thicker fluid can help keep it going for a bit longer.

·
Registered
1997 Camry LE I4
975 Posts
+1 for Maxlife (currently on special at Autozone)

Try the 3 x drain and fill for a good clean of the ATF fluid.

As for the premium brands you mention, I think the law of diminishing returns applies here and that you would be wasting your money.

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so carsrus, would supertech's high mileage atf plus a bottle of lucas trans fix be along the same lines as what you were recommending, seeing as this is a 20 yr old car and i just want smoother shifting?

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bitter, isnt wally world's supertech's high mileage atf equal to valvoline max? i figured it was the same just reboxed.

·
Premium Member
14,821 Posts
Well that's why I suggested an once of the stop leak. It's a seal sweller, seals in transmissions shrink and get hard, don't hold pressure, and pressure is what makes a transmission work. Just an once will, over about 3 days time, make a large difference in how nicely it operates. It will bring back the quick confident shifts it used to have.

·
イリジウム
14,756 Posts
I'd also recommend Supertech Mercon-V. But if Castrol works well then stick with it.

Then add a seal conditioner like Bitter said. It'll take 5000-6000 miles to show anything however.

·
Premium Member
14,821 Posts
I can feel a difference in a days worth (25 miles) of driving when I've added it to my own cars, the Geo with it's A245E was a huge difference! The Celica with it's U240E was a slight improvement. The Mazda with it's CD4E has been a pretty substantial change for the better as well. 2-3 and 3-4 are quicker under throttle and don't drag like they used it.

But I say only add one ounce because it's strong stuff and more is not better. You want to use the least amount of that 'crap' as you can because it can be harmful. It's like Botox, in tiny does it does great things. In large doses it's deadly.

·
Premium Member
14,821 Posts
Perhaps, but I like NOW NOW NOW. :laugh: Like I said, just an once will do ya and the seals seem to stay supple soft even after the fluid is exchanged. You can use that same stuff to fix a leaky bottle or floor jack, fix a seeping main seal or crank seal too. When I install new axles into old seals I wipe a little around the seal to help it soften up a little for the new sealing surface.

·
Registered
Camry LE ('00 & '09)
190 Posts
+1 valvoline maxlife high mileage

I actually did a flush in which the first drain and refill I used the castrol with some lucas transmission stop leak (or stop slip), drove it for a couple thousand miles and then did a couple of drain and refills with the valvoline maxlife high mileage.

The lucas did seem to help almost immediately, and I've been on the maxlife for a few thousand miles and it is still running great.

Just fyi: I think the maxlife has a particularly bad smell, which is normal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow, thanks gentlemen for all the suggestions!

I'm a believer in supertech so john, mercon-v or high mileage atf?

Bitter, that gunk yellow bottle sounds like a good idea. i had read that the rubber balls shrink in the trans and be blown out in this particular year's transmission but didn't know about the seals.
and did i understand that this can be used in the crankcase to stop up a leaking rear seal or did i read that wrong? if so, would it causes any problems with the normal circulation of the oil through the top of the engine? if not, i'll try this on my 63 impala 327.
what about the gunk black bottle of TransMedic Automatic Transmission Treatment and Shift Improver. is that any good or the same thing or do have no experience with this particular product?

thanks much guys. keep it coming.
tony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.