Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im brand new on here. Currently Im 99% sure that I will be purchasing a 09' Tacoma 2x4 TRD double cab, long bed this coming weekend. Im hoping that someone could give me some advice or pros and cons about the purchase Im planning on making. This is gonna be my first Toyota so Im looking for some suggestions. I want to get the 4x4 but I would rather have the better fuel economy of the 2x4.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma PreRunner
527 Posts
The only con I can think of is the fact that those long beds are really long and will be a bit more difficult to maneuver.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
A search might be in order to answer the short bed (SB) vs. long bed (LB) question. I think a lot of people would say to go with a LB because you can carry more, but the the SB is more likely to fit in the garage.

There are also a lot of posts about 2WD vs. 4WD. If you ever think you might reasonably want 4WD, get it. It is an insurance policy of sorts - it's an extra cost that you need to justify if you don't plan to use it all the time. Personally, I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it and want it.

Don't get too hung up on the gas mileage difference, as it's very tiny. There are people here that can brag about getting better mileage than EPA estimates whether they have 4 cylinders or 6, or 2WD or 4WD. Your driving habits (such as stomping the gas a lot) will have a lot more influence than any of the various configurations of the truck.

Good luck!

·
My Other Truck
4,280 Posts
Welcome to TN!

Best advice I know of is do your homework.... what's right for one person may be all wrong for the next person. Visit a dealership, look at what they have, talk to a salesperson, and pick up a brochure. Take it home and study all the models & options, and do the same at Toyota's website.

Ask questions, here or at your dealer's -- but you may get better answers here. Use the 'Search' feature, there may be threads on specific things you want to ask about. It won't be long before you'll know more about Tacomas than your average salesperson.

After narrowing down your choices, head back to the dealer for test drives. You just might change your mind about what you really want.

And you might want to call it a 4x2 instead of a 2x4. To most people, a 2x4 is a board.... ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ya thanks

Ya, thanks for the correction on the 4x2, definitley not talkin about wood. I know the options for the different models, I got that figured out. I was interested for some feedback from current owners etc that could tell me if they had any negative feedback, or issues with their 09' Tacoma DoubleCab TRDs that they have ran into. I just got through replacing a fuel tank on my 04' VW Passat 4-motion AWD and they had to remove my entire exhaust system, drive shaft, and rear axel to be able to pull out the tank and put the new one in. Im trying to avoid stupid mistakes again like I did with this car.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
2WD gets better gas mileage?:confused: Oh well, I guess I didn't care anyways.

Honestly, the way I see it. If you're gonna own a 2wd, and looking for gas mileage, go get a Corolla. If you want a truck, buy a TRUCK. 4x4 or die. :) I think its embarassing if you own a nice truck and get it stuck because you're a 2WD. You never know, you someday will wish you had it.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
I have an '06 double cab short bed, if I had to do it over again I would have purchased a long bed. Yeh, even the short bed is a bit to back up but I like the looks of the longer bed better and 5' just doesn't cut it sometimes. I do a little camping and a 6' guy doesn't fit in a 5' bed. I only say that the short bed is a bit to back up because of the cap, there are a few blind spots.

Heck, you live in Florida, maybe you don't need a 4X4 unless you get in the sand. I think that you get the locker even in the PreRunner.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
Florida = 2wd if you are going to stay on the road (4x4 if you are going swamping...I found myself doing a whole lot of things [Moab] that I didn't originally plan on doing before getting a truck [4x4])

LB is like a 4 four feet greater turning radius than SB. I got the SB for easier handling in parking lots and on the road (w/ u-turns)...figured I could always throw something in a trailer if I really needed extra space beyond the bed. I couldn't think of any times that I'd regularly need the extra foot in the bed with the tailgate up (e.g. LB)??? Then I found 4x4 and offroad and was really glad that I had the additional maneuverability and clearance.

·
Offical Tacoma Driver
2008 Indigo DC LB
157 Posts
A guy was on here a month back asking the same thing and he did a price comparison between the 2wd trd and sr5 4x4 and the cost difference was like $700. Get the 4x4. And get a LB.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
The times I've really need 4x4 the SB has been most advantageous. The places that I've needed my 4x the most would have been even more difficult to navigate with a LB (Moab, the Wasatch Mountains and eastern Nevada). I'm glad I didn't have a 4 extra feet on a turning radius for things like the potentially gravity assisted 3-point turn:

Now onto city life...parking: Depends on where you will be doing you're driving. DC, LA, NYC and other places can be tough to park...even if you want a truck. I'm guessing there are parts of Miami and other FL cities that can be a PIA to park in. If you really need the bed space, skip the Tacoma and get a 7- or 8-foot bed on a Ford. If you do the occasional weekend project the SB gives you bed space. You can hang over it if you need to. And, unlike a Civic or Camry you can tow a decent load if you have a big project. If you have an ATV or dirt bike that is another story.

Good info that somebody got a sr5 4x4 instead of a 2wd trd for $700 more. Then it boils down to desire for better seats and styling vs. desire for 4x4.

·
Griff
914 Posts
i own a double cab short bed. i haven't found one reason yet for me to own a long bed. i've hauled a good amount of things in my truck bed. if it's too long, leave the tailgate down.... it won't kill you.

as for fuel mileage... the difference isn't even noticeable between a 2x4 prerunner and a 4x4. if you want a 4x4 and/or need a 4x4, buy it. even if you don't use it often, when you need it, you have it. like i said, gas mileage difference between the two is going to be very small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Settle down Guys!

Wow, I was not trying to stir up a hornets nest! I was not really asking for an opinion on a SB or a LB, I will make sure to be more specific next time. Im definitely doing the LB cause I figure if I have a bed on a truck, I better be able to fit whatever I need into it. WHAT I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT IS... If there is anyone that has been running into mechanical issues, or unexpected costly problems with their trucks. The last two vehicles that I have owned have been more than a pain in my A** as far as repairs. So before I dove into a brand new truck head first, I was wanting hopefully find some unbiassed info from some people that already own one. I owned a 04' doge ram and the rear end took a dump @ 35k miles and a 04' VW AWD passat that has cost more in repairs than I have paid towards the loan! :headbang:

·
Registered
2006 Silver Dbl Cab
647 Posts
Don't worry about the hornet's nest. Some members on here just don't get along and seem to like arguing in other people's posts.

For the most part, I don't think that there are any major problems to list for you. This is a vehicle and each one is a little different. Sure, a few people have had major issues with their truck, but it is hard (if not impossible) to find a vehicle that doesn't. If you like how the Tacoma rides and drives, then go for it. I love mine. I have had it for 3 years and it has only been into the shop once for the rear TSB (new leaf springs). That's pretty good...to me.

Good luck.

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
All that I've heard that is wrong with the 09's is that the TRD Supercharger is a little messed up right now. I don't know if you are planning on dropping a few grand for that, but that is all I've been hearing that has created some issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks

That is exactly the type of response I was looking for thank you!!! I 100% understand that every vehicle is different and encounters different issues. But there definitely can be some reocurring problems with certain vehichles in particular and I was wanting to see if there were any known problems with the 09' Tacoma.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the 09 TRD Sport double cab long bed and love it. It's not all that hard to turn or park. I actually find the truck pretty skinny compared to my old 99 f150. I had no major issues yet but I only have 7000km's put on it. Only two small issues that the dealership fixed under warranty with no problems. The first issue was the driver side window falling out. The second was a sensor was broken. Both rather quick fixes and nothing serious so far.

·
Registered
2006 Silver Dbl Cab
647 Posts
The first issue was the driver side window falling out. The second was a sensor was broken. Both rather quick fixes and nothing serious so far.
I assume you mean the window was out of its track or was it actually falling out of the truck? If it was falling out of the truck, I would consider that a serious issue.

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts