Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 1990 GTS (5SFE) with 162 km on it. I did an oil change 2 days ago and after driving it for couple of days now .. i have noticed an oil burning smell right after i drove it for a while. After inspecting it further i have noticed smoke coming from the engine right after the catalytic converter (close to the headers). I have checked the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket but they seem to be fine and there is no leak over night under the car at all.

I was advised by a friend that it could be a oil pump seal. Now that i am getting timing belt and water pump changed tomorrow.... I was thinking of getting the oil pump seal changed too. I did talk to my mechanic about it... and it doesn't seem to be too keen on touching the oil pump to change any seal or gaskets.

My questions to u guys is ..
- How hard is to change the oil pump seal and is there any risk involved. ?
- Does the oil burn has anything to do with the oil level (I did fill up oil slightly higher than full mark when i did the oil change.)?
- what else would u guys recommend, besides changing water pump, timing belt, oil pump seal ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Where EXACTLY is the smoke coming from ?
WHen looking at the cat, describe where its coming from (ie. from the exhaust)

I woulndt touch the oil pump, they dont usually give any trouble and are EXTRMELY hard to fuck with while the engine is IN the car.

·
Registered
90celica turbo
39 Posts
check the oil cooler (where the oil filter goes), make sure the seals aren't leaking.
if the oil pump seal is leaking it wont drip on the exhaust.
the oil pump seal is very easy to change on a 5sfe. if i'ts not leaking than i wouldn't touch it.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
It is probably the oil that leaked from the filter when you changed it....

Don't mess with the oil pump. As stated above it almost never goes bad, and is a pain to mess with on the car.
Also, it's nowhere near the cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts