Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying some underbody lights for my car but i cant decide between regular neons, redline's fading neons, and a LED underbody kit. Does anybody know which is brighter, LED or neon? And if the fading neons are any good.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
From what I have seen, LEDs aren't very bright. I saw some red ones under a Celica and they looked pretty crappy. Neons have the best glow I think. But it also depends on the brand. I have some really bright ones.

You can see, the actuall neon is about 6 feet from my garage, and it still puts off that much glow. What do you think?

·
TN's SRT-4
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
379 Posts
The illumination from the neons should kill any LED kit unless the LED kit is LOADED with LEDs or is made with Luxeon Star LEDs. There is currently no underbody kits made with Luxeon Star LEDs so maybe that is a thought if you want to be different. Don't want to be like everyone else, do we? :D

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Neons.
Most people have neons so i assume that neons are better.
Also, IMO, i think neons should go under and thru out ur interior and LED's for lights and such.

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
Depends on the LED luminisity and intensity. I got led's INSIDE the car, and when looked at, those shits blind the FUDGE outta me, but only for a shorter distance... AND, it's not as even as a neon. LED"s are like "spot lights"

But, just a warning, those underbody shiz... They blow out after like 8 months of use. I went through two sets already. The tubes either crack or they just stop for some reason~

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that neon is bright as hell I think thats what i might go with, but i think Im going to try those fading neons. I want to be different but i guess you cant be too different with underbody neons. I'll post picsof whatever i get so you all can tell me what ya think of them.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
when it comes to neons, just don't over do it, keep it tasteful, and don't do it on a stock car riding at stock height :hammer:

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
What everyone else said. Underbody, use neons. LEDs are too directional. Seen it and it just looks plain funky.

·
TN's Nikon Expert?
12,670 Posts
iv seen the LED underbody and they looked just like a lot of little dots on the ground like "full" like them neons do

and puttin underbodyin in your car is just TOO much damn neon, stright 2 Fast 2 Furious....and looks crappy when you can see the bar all up in it

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
I have an LED underbody kit. If you do it right they look awesome, but if they are hanging down to low, other drivers can see the actual bulbs and it doesn't look as good. They are brighter than all the regular neons I have seen(I have 2 10 inch regulars in the interior), and I have 10 different patterns I can put the LED's on. Some you can even change the colors on if you buy the more expensive ones. Here is a link to a short car video of my '94 corolla "tray-sliding" with the LED underbody kit turned on. If you notice, you can see the bulbs on mine. I haven't had the money to put a body kit on yet.

www.angelfire.com/mech/backspin88/keys2.avi

(it may take a little while to load, but trust me, it's worth the wait!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ostornadoe
nice video
i thinking about puting green led underkit under my corolla
and some leds inside too under seats and pedals

right now i got i think UV lights or something like that..its litle and kinda gay..post pic later

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Actually, I helped my friend install a green 36" Street Glow neon in his grille. Wow, it is bright, it looks better than my LED's, but I'm not sure how it would look on the undercarriage. Either way, if you do a good installation job, they will look cool. Good luck!

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
I assume by ricer, you mean all looks and no performace? Well, I can safely say that I can smoke any stock Civic, which is great because I absolutely hate civics. I've always loved neons. I do not have a single decal or any other accessory, other than the neons and CD player, that is not for performance. Besides, chicks love the neons ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts