Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a learning curve with a new car. I bought a LE at a great deal and still learning. One thing I noticed is that the taillights look big but when you turn on your taillights, the whole thing doesn't light up. Just two little sections on the bottom of the structure. I assume the rest is reflectors. Who would of known when just looking at the car?

regards

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not picking on you (or anyone) but this seems like the silliest complaint I hear about these cars.

The SE and XSE models have dumb plastic fake vents hanging off of the taillights and hardly anyone complaints about those.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a statement, who is complaining except you complaining about me?
I think the car is beautiful and I don't have the vents but the vents look nice. I also like the two tone versions.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a malfunction.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's normal. The XSE has more of a fully-lit LED taillight, but they are expensive to swap in and require some wire splicing.

There are a few nice-looking 3rd party LED taillights for around $300.

·
South of the north pole
114 Posts
When I first saw an LE with only the 2 little lights, I thought they were faulty too, as I compared them to my XSE. I then realized that all of them did that. To be honest, I think this is a miss for Toyota. The XSE/XLE provides much more visibility, specially on the highway. For a company so focused on safety features, this should have been a no brainer other than the bean counter's objections. The tail lights are already there, they should have just added the bulbs and wire them in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I first saw an LE with only the 2 little lights, I thought they were faulty too, as I compared them to my XSE. I then realized that all of them did that. To be honest, I think this is a miss for Toyota. The XSE/XLE provides much more visibility, specially on the highway. For a company so focused on safety features, this should have been a no brainer other than the bean counter's objections. The tail lights are already there, they should have just added the bulbs and wire them in.
This post prompted me to look at other cars during my drive this morning.

I saw many cars from all different manufacturers that had two-piece taillights like our Camrys and the 6-7 that I noticed only had brake lights on the fixed outer portion of the taillight. In the US brake lights need to be on a fixed part of the car which explains this. They can also be on the trunk/hatch, but cars are required at a minimum to have them on a part of the car that doesn't move, so I guess most manufacturers don't bother putting additional brake lights on the trunk.

As for running lights, this was after dawn so I didn't see a lot of them. But the ones I did see were about half outside-only, and half inside/outside. The Venza I was behind had them inside/outside. Our Camrys are outside-only of course, but at least we have two per side (rear corner and side corner).

Not defending Toyota here because with the number of Camrys that they likely expected to sell this generation, I'd think they could've made the XSE taillights standard. I really like them, and if they were about 1/3 the price that they are I would probably swap mine. But it's not as uncommon as most people think and the bean counting is everywhere.

There are a couple of options for swapping out the reflectors in the rear bumper and one of those options just turns them into running/brake lights. I may do that eventually.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
This post prompted me to look at other cars during my drive this morning.

I saw many cars from all different manufacturers that had two-piece taillights like our Camrys and the 6-7 that I noticed only had brake lights on the fixed outer portion of the taillight. In the US brake lights need to be on a fixed part of the car which explains this. They can also be on the trunk/hatch, but cars are required at a minimum to have them on a part of the car that doesn't move, so I guess most manufacturers don't bother putting additional brake lights on the trunk.

As for running lights, this was after dawn so I didn't see a lot of them. But the ones I did see were about half outside-only, and half inside/outside. The Venza I was behind had them inside/outside. Our Camrys are outside-only of course, but at least we have two per side (rear corner and side corner).

Not defending Toyota here because with the number of Camrys that they likely expected to sell this generation, I'd think they could've made the XSE taillights standard. I really like them, and if they were about 1/3 the price that they are I would probably swap mine. But it's not as uncommon as most people think and the bean counting is everywhere.

There are a couple of options for swapping out the reflectors in the rear bumper and one of those options just turns them into running/brake lights. I may do that eventually.
As with all Toyota's (maybe), we just gotta wait til Gen X.5 o_O.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gen X.5, wait til the facelift. :cool:
Really curious as what the 8.5 will look like considering I really like both the XSE and XLE and quite frankly don't have any real complaints about style design. Interior sure, but the outside they're amazing looking. The SE/XSE rear bumper vents are meh but look pretty good still so those might be improved, but still. Will be exciting to see how they manage to make it even better looking.

Really hoping for a digital instrument cluster that is swappable into the 8s since I'm pretty disappointed the 2018 Camry and 2019 Avalon didn't get them yet the Corolla got one..

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,801 Posts
Really hoping for a digital instrument cluster that is swappable into the 8s since I'm pretty disappointed the 2018 Camry and 2019 Avalon didn't get them yet the Corolla got one..
I'd rather have the analog than the digital instrument panel. Analog is timeless and will last longer. Digital will look outdated in a couple of years. Also expensive to replace when the light goes out, and eventually it will. If the sun shines on it, you won't be able to see it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW, Audi, Mercedes goes back to analog in a couple of years

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd rather have the analog than the digital instrument panel. Analog is timeless and will last longer. Digital will look outdated in a couple of years. Also expensive to replace when the light goes out, and eventually it will. If the sun shines on it, you won't be able to see it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW, Audi, Mercedes goes back to analog in a couple of years
The 2010 Lexus LS 600HL's instrument cluster doesn't look anymore outdated than the 2011 Camry's analog instrument cluster in my opinion. In fact, I'd still take the 2010 Lexus LS cluster over my 2018 Camry's. I'll give you the point about the light going out in the instrument panel but same could be said for the current set up. And I doubt any European luxury car manufacturer will go back to analog due to it going out in 5+ years or looking outdated since they cater more towards the 2/3 year lease market than people who buy the car for longevity.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,801 Posts
The 2010 Lexus LS 600HL's instrument cluster doesn't look anymore outdated than the 2011 Camry's analog instrument cluster in my opinion. In fact, I'd still take the 2010 Lexus LS cluster over my 2018 Camry's. I'll give you the point about the light going out in the instrument panel but same could be said for the current set up. And I doubt any European luxury car manufacturer will go back to analog due to it going out in 5+ years or looking outdated since they cater more towards the 2/3 year lease market than people who buy the car for longevity.
Forgot that the 2010 Lexus LS had the driving monitoring system. Toyota/Lexus should make that standard so everyone is paying attention to the road. The 2010 instrument cluster, compared to today's digital cluster, does look outdated. The 2011 Camry's analog looks great and timeless. Less problems with analog. The benefit of having a digital cluster is having more information on the screen which I would want if I had a super car or a performance car but for a regular family car, not really. Look at the 2019 Lexus LX 570, it's mostly analog. Reviewers are raging that a 100k car does not have a full digital display. Bright side, the LX will continue to look good for years to come.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree the tail lights are hideous and a total bean counter move. I can't believe they are even big enough to be legal. I would have gladly paid $300 more for the car with the XSE tail lights. These LE/SE tail lights are very small when driving down the road following one...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree the tail lights are hideous and a total bean counter move. I can't believe they are even big enough to be legal. I would have gladly paid $300 more for the car with the XSE tail lights. These LE/SE tail lights are very small when driving down the road following one...
They don't seem much smaller or dimmer than most cars out there, and IMO they are still pretty bright at night, especially the brake lights.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What a learning curve with a new car. I bought a LE at a great deal and still learning. One thing I noticed is that the taillights look big but when you turn on your taillights, the whole thing doesn't light up. Just two little sections on the bottom of the structure. I assume the rest is reflectors. Who would of known when just looking at the car?

regards
ARGH! Just found this out due to your post and FUBAR! WTF!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts