Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, would it ever be possible to swap the new 2gr-fe I to an older model Camry? I have a gen 7, and I think it would be cool to someday in the far future swap the more powerful 2gr-fe from the 2018+ model into my car. Would it be a simple process? I know I would also need a transmission because the new V6 has the 8-speed.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,594 Posts
The Gen 8 V6 is the 2GR-FKS, not the "FE". Performance wise, it's actually the same, or a fraction slower even though it has more horsepower.
What's wrong with the 2GR-FE?

Reactions: molson.david

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,594 Posts
I'm actually more interested in someone fitting an Eaton supercharger from the Lotus Evora into camry and making it work.

Reactions: Thirteenstruckdead

·
straight cash homie
20,459 Posts
I'm actually more interested in someone fitting an Eaton supercharger from the Lotus Evora into camry and making it work.
That makes a lot of more sense, though its just hard to find Evora that's wrecked to begin with.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,590 Posts
because you have more money than sense?
Common sense is way too overrated these days. :)
One of my coworkers wants to trade in his low miles 14 LE for a the gen 8 2.5 LE cuz of advertised 40+ MPG, even though the new interior is smaller and he is having issues with getting in and out. :)
For some reason he is absolutely sure the gen 8 will be much more economical in Dallas traffics. :)

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,594 Posts
One of my coworkers wants to trade in his low miles 14 LE for a the gen 8 2.5 LE cuz of advertised 40+ MPG, even though the new interior is smaller and he is having issues with getting in and out. :)
For some reason he is absolutely sure the gen 8 will be much more economical in Dallas traffics. :)
You should suggest the LE hybrid then. 52 mpg is very appealing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've noticed that a good percentage of the populace does not have good applied math skills.
The same problem with people unable to understand the interest and total payments they are being charged versus the appropriate cost of a house or car. Unless your co-worker is putting in huge mileage, he won't come close to profiting from buying the newer model when his existing 4-cyl is already pretty good on gas.
If the guy is well off then it hardly matters though, and if the price of gas goes through the roof then he gets the last laugh.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,594 Posts
I've noticed that a good percentage of the populace does not have good applied math skills.
The same problem with people unable to understand the interest and total payments they are being charged versus the appropriate cost of a house or car. Unless your co-worker is putting in huge mileage, he won't come close to profiting from buying the newer model when his existing 4-cyl is already pretty good on gas.
If the guy is well off then it hardly matters though, and if the price of gas goes through the roof then he gets the last laugh.
Well, most people, me including, don't really care for much about the costs of buying fuel efficient cars to oil prices and the value in the long run of how long will take for me to drive it until I will start earning my savings on buying such said cars.

Most people just want new things, new gadgets, etc.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,590 Posts
My neighbor has a 2018 XLE 4 cyl, my buddy's son drives a 2018 SE 4 cyl and their real life MPG is no higher than the 2012's and 14's LE I used to own and my coworkers MPG, so even if (or more likely when :)) gas price would go up, he wont notice any difference.
Also, I believe more and more ppl that used to care even about some small difference in MPG are changing their preferences and value overall comfort, sitting position and interior roominess over MPG.
A hybrid could be a better option, but hybrids are more expensive and have worse resale, so everything comes to his math skills again. :) However, I'm pretty sure he'll keep driving his Camry, cuz he is a pretty big dude and noticed the difference in sitting position and getting in and out of the gen 8 vs gen 7 right away and he is not liking it at all.

·
straight cash homie
20,459 Posts
Is that their only reason for wanting a newer Camry? Perhaps its the styling they like more, or even the 'tech'? Like xpeed said, the newness of things and gadgets are some of the reasons to buy something else.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,594 Posts
Is that their only reason for wanting a newer Camry? Perhaps its the styling they like more, or even the 'tech'? Like xpeed said, the newness of things and gadgets are some of the reasons to buy something else.
Yup, only reason why I would want a new car is newer features and gadgets. If Toyota continued building the Venza, I would have gotten a new one over my Rav4, but sadly, Toyota stopped making it after 2015, so my 2009 will have to do and I don't want to sell it because it's a great car for its time and it ages well.

With that said, I have looked into upgrading the stereo to the 2015 touchscreen with SDcard Navi feature but it seems like it's not an easy plug n play so I hit a wall and pondering if I should still pursue that.

·
straight cash homie
20,459 Posts
Yup, only reason why I would want a new car is newer features and gadgets. If Toyota continued building the Venza, I would have gotten a new one over my Rav4, but sadly, Toyota stopped making it after 2015, so my 2009 will have to do and I don't want to sell it because it's a great car for its time and it ages well.

With that said, I have looked into upgrading the stereo to the 2015 touchscreen with SDcard Navi feature but it seems like it's not an easy plug n play so I hit a wall and pondering if I should still pursue that.
Dang how many other cars do you have? I know of the iM and RAV4, and a 09 Venza too? I agree, it came out ahead of its time. TBH, the materials they used on it were sort of disappointing, but Toyota was in cost cutting mode (I have similar hard touch plastics on my Corolla). BUT, a Venza like car is supposed to be re-released soon, everyone's saying Chicago auto show in a few weeks.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,594 Posts
Dang how many other cars do you have? I know of the iM and RAV4, and a 09 Venza too? I agree, it came out ahead of its time. TBH, the materials they used on it were sort of disappointing, but Toyota was in cost cutting mode (I have similar hard touch plastics on my Corolla). BUT, a Venza like car is supposed to be re-released soon, everyone's saying Chicago auto show in a few weeks.
Haha, I have 2015 Camry XSE V6, 2018 Highlander AWD Limited, 2017 Rav4 XLE, and the 2009 Venza LE.

I had the 2016 iM but my brother took over the payments so it's his now. The Venza I got from my dad recently and I helped him buy it brand new in 2009 so I'm familiar with it and it was going to be a waste if he sold it since he wants the new 2020 Sonata.

I wanted to keep it in the family since my wife's Rav4 lease will be up this coming May and we need a smaller CUV to get around instead of driving the Highlander.

·
straight cash homie
20,459 Posts
Haha, I have 2015 Camry XSE V6, 2018 Highlander AWD Limited, 2017 Rav4 XLE, and the 2009 Venza LE.

I had the 2016 iM but my brother took over the payments so it's his now. The Venza I got from my dad recently and I helped him buy it brand new in 2009 so I'm familiar with it and it was going to be a waste if he sold it since he wants the new 2020 Sonata.

I wanted to keep it in the family since my wife's Rav4 lease will be up this coming May and we need a smaller CUV to get around instead of driving the Highlander.
Oh that's smart. I really like that new Sonata. Not the way it looks really, but it is a compelling package. They had a lease incentive of $2500 too.

This just came out today!

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,590 Posts
Not sure about my coworker, but for me "the tech" is just a cherry on top and if I don't like the car, that cherry means pretty much nothing.
The new Sonata is nice, the nicest looking sedan in the segment and imo it looks more expensive than it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts