Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice. What did that cost you by the way? Also, see that other round port on the front of the box? Don't they make something that goes into that and it mounts towards the front of the engine compartment ?:thumbsup:

·
MLBDRIVER
2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab
92 Posts
Nice. What did that cost you by the way? Also, see that other round port on the front of the box? Don't they make something that goes into that and it mounts towards the front of the engine compartment ?:thumbsup:
They are like 300 plus another 150 or so for the Ram Air Scoop you are talking about. Looking at getting one my self.

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
Volant makes a great product. If I felt that a CAI were worth it, I'd buy that one. Had one on my Explorer.

·
Registered
08 Tacoma Access Cab
118 Posts
Nice Mod:

Just FYI, according to scangauge testing that ive done, that ram scoop really brings down intake air temp. ie... TCAI

It's an awesome set up:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
i thought all the new tacoma's came with CAI? no? is that one that much better or what?
they do but the stock intake has all those ribs in it and it restricts airflow, (at least this is what i understand, correct me if im wrong) The After market CAIs are straight with a shorter tube thus allowing better, un-restricted airflow to the engine

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
^This is true although I've yet to see a dyno on anything other than the URD. The URD showed great gains but I personally have a problem with cutting my daily driver and having an intake sticking out in front like that.

I'd love to see a comparison between just a filter replacement like the AFE ProdryS (like I have) and an aftermarket CAI setup. I'd be willing to bet that the gains are minimal (under say 3%).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i bought this one for 275 i think from autoanything, the throttle response is way better. the only thing that sucked about it was there is no instructions all they give you is a diagram on how it get put together then a pic of it already installed. but real easy to figure out.

·
ToyotaNatoin
474 Posts
ya ^ same thing but was easy to figure it out.
also you still have your blue sticker on the top cover.

i took my front cap and top cover off sounds alot better( louder) untill i get y ram intake piece.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya ^ same thing but was easy to figure it out.
also you still have your blue sticker on the top cover.

i took my front cap and top cover off sounds alot better( louder) untill i get y ram intake piece.

nice to know ill be taking that cap off right now. hah thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
:) ive got the volant intake with scoop.... not that noticable of a differance.

just an fyi, the blue tape can come off :)

and if anybody wants to know, the silver is a thermo wrap to protect the intake tube from any kind of engine heat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol yea i know the blue sticker comes off i just took the pic before taking it off, so the airscoop is worth it then huh? guess thats next.

·
Georgia
1,197 Posts
Interesting read on AFE CAI, K&N, ..............................................

http://coldairintakes.blogspot.com/

They tested quiet a few vehicles......Tacoma, Tundra, etc...................
Both AFE and K&N are Hot-Engine-Compartment-Air-Intakes. How can anybody argue that they pull colder than stock air and keep a straight face is beyond me. Stock intake pulls air from the outside thru the wheel well, after market AFE and K&N "CAI" pull from the hot engine compartment.
A sucker is born every minute, and K&N and AFE are doing their best to find them and fleece them. Long live P.T. Barnum!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The OEM intake it came with is (in most cases) going to be the best - sounds crazy but here's the real deal -

The reasons anyone makes a "cold air intake" are:
1) To sell you something that "looks cool" and makes noise (keywords - sell you something).
2) Because "Fast & Furious" was just such a cool movie and "you gotta be like them, dawg".
3) You'll think your ride is that much better than the next one just like it (they made thousands of em).

Now back to the real deal -

Most "cold air intakes" are misleading to begin with. If the filter is an open element (you can see the filter) and it's under the hood, it is actually a "hot air intake" (in other words - they lie and sell you something). When was the last time you ever felt a cool breeze under the hood of a car/ truck? A true cold air intake has to take in air from an ambient source - aka outside the engine bay. If you want one that bad for the "cool factor", or if your car/ truck doesn't breathe from outside the engine bay, find one that fits that description.

The air that the OEM (the one it came with from the factory, or Original Equipment Manufactured) air intake breathes in is usually from just behind the grille itself, or sometimes from a fenderwell. This "air charge" is actually cold (or ambient temperature air), as hot air will just drop your ignition timing (because of pre-ignition or detonation) as the temperature of the intake air increases, and take all your HP with it.

Let common sense help some on deciding just how good an aftermarket part or system is:
1) Why would the Manufacturer short you on the performance it could have for an extra $100?
2) If you gained MPG with a simple piece of tubing and a "one size fits all" air filter element - wouldn't they do that at the factory that built the vehicle?
3) Who do you think has more money and resources for Research and Development - the company that designed and built the entire vehicle, or the company that made that "cold air intake"?
4) If something you could buy and install yourself would actually add HorsePower and MPG, why would any vehicle manufacturer waste millions designing it the way they did (and lose the edge on the competition)?

Add to that the water protection that a stock OEM air box is designed to provide. Water intrusion is a HUGE concern to prevent damage, and here's the reason, air compresses and water doesn't. If an engine breathes in water, and tries to compress it, it will break in a big way.

Some "cold air intake" kits have a water intrusion valve that is basically a ping-pong ball in a sleeve - good luck trusting an engine to that. I know where they got the R&D on that design, just open up a wet/ dry shopvac and you'll see the same thing. Amazing how brilliant these things are when you dig.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^^^^^hmmm interesting opinions (we all have opinions not facts, because facts are interpreted into opinions)

in most casesoem equipment is better i agree with you on that, and it is manufactured to be cost efficient not performance enhancing you are correct as well.

research is great, however most systems ie VOLANT intake take that into consideration when the developed the scoop, as well as the intake. the scoop has a drain hole, as well as the intake box is connected to the wheel well and doesnt pull in the hot engine compartment air.

i hope this enlightens people, and hope they do research on their products they buy

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
Let common sense help some on deciding just how good an aftermarket part or system is:
1) Why would the Manufacturer short you on the performance it could have for an extra $100?
2) If you gained MPG with a simple piece of tubing and a "one size fits all" air filter element - wouldn't they do that at the factory that built the vehicle?
3) Who do you think has more money and resources for Research and Development - the company that designed and built the entire vehicle, or the company that made that "cold air intake"?
4) If something you could buy and install yourself would actually add HorsePower and MPG, why would any vehicle manufacturer waste millions designing it the way they did (and lose the edge on the competition)?
I don't necessarily disagree with you but your questions are not taking something into account: An OEM manufacturer is going to take the cheapest and most reliable route. That doesn't always translate into the best performance.

But, as I said previously in this thread, I see no real advantage to an aftermarket CAI in this vehicle. I've used them extensively in previous vehicles but none of them had an OEM "CAI".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts