Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although I have driven hybrids before this is my very first Toyota Camry hybrid. I could only afford the trim level LE and they say it has 52 mpg and a 700 mile tank range. I am hoping this car will last me long without any problems. Any input would be appreciated.

·
8,164 Posts
Congratulations on new ride.

input requires question.
What's the question?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to reach 300k. Do you think It will do it? (given all maintenance is performed on time)

·
8,164 Posts
There is one 2007 owner lurking around that, as he claims, is closing on 300 000 miles. I do not remember if he had hybrid battery replaced or not.
To be honest, hybrid battery life expectancy is not that much. About half of that.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,802 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Camry Hybrids are nice cars. Just as an FYI, the hybrid part of ToyotaNation is not very busy. There are other forums dedicated to hybrids that have a lot more traffic. You might want to check out Greenhybrid.com.

My wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid has around 180,000 miles and has been largely problem-free since new. The water pump was replaced under warranty. Other than that, the only parts that have been changed are the tires, fluids, filters, a belt (preventative), and the rear brake pads. It still has the original front brake pads- no lie.

The car still gets excellent MPG.

The notion that hybrid battery life is 150,000 miles is false. That might be how long the warranty lasts, but there are lots of people who have seen much, much higher mileage on their original hybrid batteries.

A decade ago, Hybrid Camrys were used as Taxis in cities like NYC. A lot of those taxis saw tons of miles without hybrid-related issues (200,000 miles plus).

Here's what I would recommend- depending on your situation. When my wife and I purchased our Hybrid Camry, we financed it. When we were done paying it off, we continued making "car payments" at roughly half the amount of our prior payments to a separate bank account. We put $200 per month into that account until we had a really nice nest egg that can be used if a problem does develop. Well, that money has been sitting there since 2010. If and when my wife's Camry breaks down and requires an expensive repair, we'll have the money to repair it or replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man thanks for your input. Yeah ive been hearing that a lot that people are saying it lasts way more than the 150k and i agree with you all and thats great news. So far I’ve put about 1000 miles on it and it drives amazing. My mpg is about 54 which is unreal But my dash readout is saying 57 overall so it roughly goes about 673 miles before i have to fill up again. When i put it into sport mode it feels super fast. Ive half way stepped on the pedal to break the engine in but yeah so far everything is great. Oh and im loving the headlights finally can see with these things. My wifes 2016 Sienna LE had really poor brightness with those projector headlights and had to change it out to high power LEDs. But yeah only thing i really wish is that my steering wheel and the shift knob at least be leather, but i guess ill have to get that installed

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
There is one 2007 owner lurking around that, as he claims, is closing on 300 000 miles. I do not remember if he had hybrid battery replaced or not.
To be honest, hybrid battery life expectancy is not that much. About half of that.
hi there,

toyota gives a warranty on the hybrid battery till 160,000 km (100,000) miles.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Hey man thanks for your input. Yeah ive been hearing that a lot that people are saying it lasts way more than the 150k and i agree with you all and thats great news. So far I’ve put about 1000 miles on it and it drives amazing. My mpg is about 54 which is unreal But my dash readout is saying 57 overall so it roughly goes about 673 miles before i have to fill up again. When i put it into sport mode it feels super fast. Ive half way stepped on the pedal to break the engine in but yeah so far everything is great. Oh and im loving the headlights finally can see with these things. My wifes 2016 Sienna LE had really poor brightness with those projector headlights and had to change it out to high power LEDs. But yeah only thing i really wish is that my steering wheel and the shift knob at least be leather, but i guess ill have to get that installed
good luck with your hybrid, enjoy the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/QUOT
hi there,

toyota gives a warranty on the hybrid battery till 160,000 km (100,000) miles.
Your exactly right except starting with models 2020 and on the new limits are 150k because of the different battery. I believe they have the lithium batteries now that replaced the nickle metal hydride batteries.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Your exactly right except starting with models 2020 and on the new limits are 150k because of the different battery. I believe they have the lithium batteries now that replaced the nickle metal hydride batteries.
the LE 2018+ TCH have Li ion batteries, while the SE XLE and the XSE TCH have the metal hydride versions, (buying the LE was a blessing in disguise after all !)

·
8,164 Posts
Toyota is extending its hybrid battery warranty from eight years/100,000 miles to 10 years/150,000 miles. The new warranty will apply to Toyota's entire 2020 hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and fuel cell lineup. Other components of the hybrid powertrain (including the motors) will retain the eight-year/100,000-mile warranty.Oct 10, 2019

It does not differentiate between NiMeHy and LiIo batteries, apparently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toyota is extending its hybrid battery warranty from eight years/100,000 miles to 10 years/150,000 miles. The new warranty will apply to Toyota's entire 2020 hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and fuel cell lineup. Other components of the hybrid powertrain (including the motors) will retain the eight-year/100,000-mile warranty.Oct 10, 2019

It does not differentiate between NiMeHy and LiIo batteries, apparently.
Interesting! Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright so guys update here. Almost 1 month of driving this and input around 1975 miles on it and started to notice a few things.

Upon deceleration coming to a full stop Some front end noise and some slight forward jerking. Happens occasionally not sure how to trigger it to reproduce the issue. I don’t know I thought Toyota had it all figured out kind of worried now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright so guys update here. Almost 1 month of driving this and input around 1975 miles on it and started to notice a few things.

Upon deceleration coming to a full stop Some front end noise and some slight forward jerking. Happens occasionally not sure how to trigger it to reproduce the issue. I don’t know I thought Toyota had it all figured out kind of worried now.
Update**** well i have some good/hopeful news. So i drove it another 100 miles or so and I couldn’t reproduce the problem. Lets just hope that the transmission or other mechanical issues twerks itself out.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Can you tell me, if there is a sound when you stop and shift from D to P fmr the engine compartment? Highly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you tell me, if there is a sound when you stop and shift from D to P fmr the engine compartment? Highly appreciated.
yes there is a sound when shifting from drive to park and a very good reason. When shifting to park it applies the emergency/parking brake to alleviate pressure on the transmission (Very useful on incline and decline parking) thus saving on wear and tear and possibly increasing the life of the transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts