Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Been a years long lurker since I got my first Toyota, a 1991 Corolla wagon (love that car) over 15 years later I now have my second Toyota, after years of Fords. I jusT picked up a new 2020 Camry XLE hybrid. First time Camry and hybrid owner.

I’ve scoured google and looked briefly in the owners manual and I can’t seem to find some sort of break in procedure or period for this car. Does that exist for hybrids?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just drive moderately for the first 600 miles and don't floor it, hot rod it and try not keep at the same speed. Vary your speed on the highway for the first 600.

·
8,211 Posts
Ha ha, you can't hotrod it because ECM simply won't let you to. It's drive by wire vehicle. Love it or hate it.
There is break in procedure for ICE, but you likely won't be able to do it on hybrid and, anyway, it needs to be done on new engine. You likely have a hundred or two miles on it.
I'd say, for a week, drive her like normal car. Do NOT save on acceleration. Floor it few times. You want to set piston rings into cylinder walls firm, and that requires high combustion pressure.
Personally, I'd have factory oil changed. Some consider it break in oil. So do I.
Otherwise, enjoy car and do NOT drive her like grandma for first few weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha ha, you can't hotrod it because ECM simply won't let you to. It's drive by wire vehicle. Love it or hate it.
There is break in procedure for ICE, but you likely won't be able to do it on hybrid and, anyway, it needs to be done on new engine. You likely have a hundred or two miles on it.
I'd say, for a week, drive her like normal car. Do NOT save on acceleration. Floor it few times. You want to set piston rings into cylinder walls firm, and that requires high combustion pressure.
Personally, I'd have factory oil changed. Some consider it break in oil. So do I.
Otherwise, enjoy car and do NOT drive her like grandma for first few weeks.
Thanks. The car has just under 30 miles when I got it and now it has almost 300. Will be changing the oil at the required service interval.

·
8,211 Posts
Sure.
Break in new engine requires consecutive sets of progressively increasing engine RPMs, held for about 20 seconds each time, all the way up to red line.
What that does, is it pushes combustion gasses between piston and ring, setting ring firmly into cylinder wall and mating them snug. As the result, such engine does NOT have blow by oil consumption. That was plague on previous hybrid engines, known oil takers. Maybe they fixed it. But, part of the problem was owners driving hybrids like grandmas, in belief that they will have better mpg that way. What results in gap between rings and cylinder wall. Plus, some other design flaws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts