Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, good people. I just bought a 2015 Camry. Like with any new (to me) car, I'm getting used to the feel of it, comparing it to previous cars, etc. I have a couple of questions...
Should I be able to feel it shift? It doesn't jerk or stutter or anything, not really a lunge (it's actually pretty smooth) but I can still feel it. Has the SLIGHTEST dip, barely noticibable. I guess I'm comparing it to my cars before (which were all crap). The ones before, you could definitely feel it. I didn't know if the shifting in non crap cars was supposed to be completely unnoticeable. This is the newest car I've owned.
Also, I've read conflicting things about changing the transmission fluid. Some say to do it every 60-100k miles even though the manuel says nothing about changing it. Some say it's lifetime fluid and you don't need to change it. I've even talked to mechanics who said both things. It's got 117,000 miles on it and I bought it from someone I know. He never changed the fluid. I've also heard if I haven't changed it by now, don't... something about dirt getting circulated and causing problems.
Sorry if this stuff has been discussed before. I'm new here.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
23 Posts
Hello, good people. I just bought a 2015 Camry. Like with any new (to me) car, I'm getting used to the feel of it, comparing it to previous cars, etc. I have a couple of questions...
Should I be able to feel it shift? It doesn't jerks or stutter or anything (it's actually pretty smooth) but I can feel it. The SLIGHTEST lunge, barely noticibable. I guess I'm comparing it to my cars before (which were all crap). The ones before, you could definitely feel it. This is the newest car I've owned.
Also, I've read conflicting things about changing the transmission fluid. Some say to do it every 60-100k miles even though the manuel says nothing about changing it. Some say it's lifetime fluid and you don't need to change it. I've even talked to mechanics who said both things. It's got 117,000 miles on it and I bought it from someone I know. He never changed the fluid. I've also heard if I haven't changed it by now, don't... something about dirt getting circulated and causing problems.
Check out the Car Care Nut channel on YouTube. He’s a Toyota Master Tech. He recommends changing transmission fluid every 60K miles. He also says there is no such thing as lifetime transmission fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check out the Car Care Nut channel on YouTube. He’s a Toyota Master Tech. He recommends changing transmission fluid every 60K miles. He also says there is no such thing as lifetime transmission fluid.

He also says if it hasn’t been changed and has over 100,000 miles it’s best to leave it alone.

And yes it’s normal to feel the shifts especially when it’s cold. Although I don’t like how it shifts because it wants to be in the highest gear as quickly as it can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So from what I understand, at 117,000 miles, I shouldn't flush but a drain and fill will be safe? And I just empty from the bottom and pump in the exact amount. Some websites even say just pump new fluid in untill it starts to come out the top. I can do some stuff with cars but I'm kinda scared to touch this one... Newer cars make me nervous. But it seems this drain and fill is pretty idiot proof.
There are still some sites that say to leave it alone if nothing has been done by 120,000 miles... I don't want to screw anything up and the transmission works fine

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
23 Posts
So from what I understand, at 117,000 miles, I shouldn't flush but a drain and fill will be safe? And I just empty from the bottom and pump in the exact amount. Some websites even say just pump new fluid in untill it starts to come out the top. I can do some stuff with cars but I'm kinda scared to touch this one... Newer cars make me nervous. But it seems this drain and fill is pretty idiot proof.
There are still some sites that say to leave it alone if nothing has been done by 120,000 miles... I don't want to screw anything up and the transmission works fine
I have a 2012 Camry SE and I had my tranny fluid replaced at 99k miles. Didn’t know it was recommended at 60k miles. This was Dec 2019 and I have 115k miles now. No problems so far. Had it done at my local Toyota dealer for piece of mind. They did a drain and fill. No tranny flush. I plan to get it replaced in the near future because it’s been 1 month short of 2 years but I get the filter replaced and have 2 more magnets added to the tranny pan.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Definitely there is no magic lifetime fluid. Tranny fluid has to be changed, but don't do it any quick lube places, where they don't even use the right fluid, and they don't know how to accurately measure the fluid level. My family member went for an oil change and got suckered into doing the tranny fluid too, and tranny was crippled within few weeks and wouldn't shift into 2nd and 3rd gears.

Get tranny serviced only from Toyota dealer unless you can do it accurately at home.
Speaking of which, I need to get my 2013 Camry SE tranny fluid serviced. It's got 73K miles now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Should I be able to feel it shift? It doesn't jerk or stutter or anything, not really a lunge (it's actually pretty smooth) but I can still feel it. Has the SLIGHTEST dip, barely noticibable. I guess I'm comparing it to my cars before (which were all crap). The ones before, you could definitely feel it. I didn't know if the shifting in non crap cars was supposed to be completely unnoticeable. This is the newest car I've owned.
Yes, change the fluid and filter there isn't a a dip stick it's got to be done on a lift; I would not go to a fast lube place. with the right fluid and the right filter and the right torque specification's you will get another 100 K miles or more on it only has to be this one time. 😅 unless you keep it for another 100 K miles.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry
652 Posts
The 2015 Camry has a lifetime transmission fluid AS LONG AS the car has not met any of the situation under the severe service. Since the Camry is "new to you" and you don't know how the previous owner drove and it has 117k miles, I would get the fluid changed. There is no danger of changing the fluid now. These are sealed transmissions so you can't do a simple drain and fill. I would have the dealer or a independent shop do the fluid change. You're also about due for a coolant change; drain and fill is fine there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe you will find our used Camry maintenance thread entertaining. Our goal was max reliability of a car that ran great when we purchased it with 110k miles. So we frontloaded a lot of work.

There are tips to find any prior dealer service.

There are different views on service in the forums so do some research. You should look to official Toyota documents for recommended service and process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congratulations Great Vehicle I have a Toyota I love it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bring it to the dealer, have them do a trans fluid service (fancy and complicated flush), and be done with it. misinformation gets multiplied 100 fold on the internet. Flushing a transmission at any mileage will not hurt it if it isn't already hurt. Also, when they do a flush, they don't force fluid through the system, they run new clean fluid through the trans using its own internal pump until it comes out clean. drain and fill only partially changes fluid and is a waste since you will instantly contaminate the new fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's hard to know what is misinformation and what is not... You have qualified people swearing on all that is holy that trans flushes are a bad idea and then you have equally qualified people saying it's totally fine. Hard to know for sure and feel good about the decision either way..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2015 Camry has a lifetime transmission fluid AS LONG AS the car has not met any of the situation under the severe service. Since the Camry is "new to you" and you don't know how the previous owner drove and it has 117k miles, I would get the fluid changed. There is no danger of changing the fluid now. These are sealed transmissions so you can't do a simple drain and fill. I would have the dealer or a independent shop do the fluid change. You're also about due for a coolant change; drain and fill is fine there.

Good luck.
I bought it from a friend who got it at 17,000 miles. Most of the miles are highway miles. I took it to a mechanic who looked over the whole car and they said the trans fluid level and quality both look good. Of course, I've been burned by shops before... saying they checked/did stuff they didn't do. They also said tge brakes had 2mm left and needed to be changed and when I took it to another (more inexpensive) shop, they said tge breaks has about 70% life left :/

Also, I looked up 2015 toyota camry transmission drain and fill and there are tutorials online. You say they're sealed and I can't do it at home? I suppose if not, I can have a shop do it and just watch them :\ Hard to find a good, honest, reasonably priced mechanic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe you will find our used Camry maintenance thread entertaining. Our goal was max reliability of a car that ran great when we purchased it with 110k miles. So we frontloaded a lot of work.

There are tips to find any prior dealer service.

There are different views on service in the forums so do some research. You should look to official Toyota documents for recommended service and process.

Thanks. I'd like to get it to a million miles lol

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a 2016 Camry that I bought used (former lease return).
I had a local Toyota dealership do a full transmission fluid exchange using their machine.
It was $200.
The transmission fluid CAN be changed on your own, however it is VERY sensitive to the fluid level.
The fluid must be within a specific temperature range in order for the fluid level system to work.
There is a VERY small margin for error on transmission fluid level.
I found it easier to trust the dealership.
The dealership I use seems to do good work and I have only had the "traditional dealership upsell" happen one time.
So it depends upon the service writer where I go.
As someone else mentioned, you are due for a coolant change also.
The coolant is rated for 5 years.
I chose to have the dealership do the coolant exchange also, using their machine for that.
The service writer upsold me a front brake job a bit early, but almost 90K miles, and my own check told me that it was going to be soon. I went with the upsell of replacement of brake fluid as it can absorb moisture. While another poster mentioned changing the fluid in the reservoir as being a good way to take care of moisture, I have found from my experience of bleeding the brake fluid at each wheel with each brake job that the fluid builds up a lot of dirt in it at the wheel end. So I like to get that bled out as well.

Over time, a ridge of crud can build up in the throttle body, just below the throttle plate.
A dealership will sell you a throttle body / injector cleaning service that will take care of this.
OR you can remove the big hose from the throttle body and press open the throttle plate and wipe just below the throttle plate yourself with a solvent soaked rag.
Make sure to have the ignition OFF when you move the throttle plate and you will be fine.
Using quality (top tier) gasoline and maybe a fuel system cleaner, like Redline or Techron should make injector cleaning something that you do not need.

I have been very happy with my Camry and they are not hard to care for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts