Toyota Nation Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1598 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had Cadillacs since 1990!!!!!!!!!!!

april 2014 i did buy a ALTIMA 2009 4 cyl.(89,000KM) ........big mistake......tons of problems, cvt vibratrion.....etc etc i return the car to the dealer.

in july '14 i found a 78,000KM Camry 2007 Le ( show room) V6. (for the same price) WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a small car ( compare to my last Eldorado) it is a small Cady..period.

i did a rechearch for a WHITE LE V6.......never find one....just SE. my budget was $9000. (without taxes)

can i post the picture here?

P.S. :i kept my cady for towing my 22' boat.........no place to put a hitch on a Camry!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ahhh i envy you. Wish i have the smart key. Our cars are basically twins thou. I4 or v6?
It's an I4, drove it/bought it today after making the mistake of visiting a toyota dealership down the road beforehand (for comparison of a 2013 model). My first experience with a dealership at 32, and will never go back unless no other options. The CarMax experience was way, way better.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It's an I4, drove it/bought it today after making the mistake of visiting a toyota dealership down the road beforehand (for comparison of a 2013 model). My first experience with a dealership at 32, and will never go back unless no other options. The CarMax experience was way, way better.
yea Toyota dealership suck really bad. I guess it cause they sell so much they really don't care if they loose your business. You didnt like the 2013 model?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congrats on the car!

I'm curious about your dealership experience? I've bought a few new cars, and never really had an issue...I like the game ;) However, I've only had 1 experience at a dealership, trying to negotiate a used car purchase, and it was a major fail. Every other used car purchase of mine was private party, but I figured I'd try buying used at a dealership for once, and that experience reminded me why private party is so much better.

I've also had 1 experience with carmax, selling one of our old vehicles. I already knew what I was going to buy to replace it (private party), but decided to walk the carmax lot and window shop while they were appraising our car. What I found was that Carmax was $2k+ over priced, compared to the private market?

I probably could have done a little better, had I sold our old car privately, but I was a little nervous that it had an accident history, so I got lazy and just sold it to carmax for pretty close to payoff, lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here in Québec, Canada......for the last 5-7 years........they are almost no private sale compare to dealership + used car section and used car dealer........

because with 0% to 1.7% interest.......folks are going to buy new car and gave their used car for exchange. so they dont take time to sold on private site or elsewhere....

i had a luck at a Hyunday used car section..with my Camry Le 2007 V6 with 78 Km...show room. extra clean....no $ to put on. ($9000 CAD +2 taxes)

i pass 2-3 months searching for a 2007 Le V6...beginning summer....nothing........just L4 cyl.

i miss by 1 day a 2007 Le V6 89Km with sunroof for the same price. when i call the guy(private) sold the day before..........

·
Registered
37 Posts
yea Toyota dealership suck really bad. I guess it cause they sell so much they really don't care if they loose your business. You didnt like the 2013 model?
It was nice, but the interior felt cheaper compared to the 2011 and the paint condition was REALLY bad. There were rock chips down to bare metal all over the lower front spoiler/front half of the hood + pretty large scratches on other parts of the car. I didn't see it at first because I did the test drive before doing the walk-around, but it had too much exterior wear for a 1 year old car.

Congrats on the car!

I'm curious about your dealership experience? I've bought a few new cars, and never really had an issue...I like the game ;) However, I've only had 1 experience at a dealership, trying to negotiate a used car purchase, and it was a major fail. Every other used car purchase of mine was private party, but I figured I'd try buying used at a dealership for once, and that experience reminded me why private party is so much better.

I've also had 1 experience with carmax, selling one of our old vehicles. I already knew what I was going to buy to replace it (private party), but decided to walk the carmax lot and window shop while they were appraising our car. What I found was that Carmax was $2k+ over priced, compared to the private market?

I probably could have done a little better, had I sold our old car privately, but I was a little nervous that it had an accident history, so I got lazy and just sold it to carmax for pretty close to payoff,

lol.
So many thoughts on my first experience. I will say that the "game" was kinda of exhilarating, but it got old really fast.

1. Although the dealership had a newer car, it was not in good shape. Whoever owned it beforehand treated it like trash. The paint was in bad condition for a 1 year old car and the interior (except the upholstery) had taken a bit of a beating. Seriously, the paint sondition was on the same level of the 194k 2001 Nissan I traded in and they kept telling me, "Well, it's a used car so it will have some wear". Me: Not that much, I'm not an idiot.

2. The dealership was offering a lifetime powertrain with any purchase--which is extremely competitive. But that only took car of the engine/tranny/drivetrain. Seeing as how all the other parts of the car were in very worn condition and not covered, it was cause for pause. Plus the 2013 was out of warranty because it had over 36k on it. CarMax offers a 5-day complete money-back return + a 30-day bumper-to-bumper warranty with every purchase, so if I want anything done to my car it's all free in that time period.

3. The math game they play is very, very good. But I figured it out after a bit. They were going to end up charging me more for their vehicle (even though it was "priced" less). They had a dealer processing fee $500 more than CarMax and were proposing $550 less for my trade. That adds $1,050 back in to the "price" of the car. They were also going to tax me on the price of the car + the processing fee (instead of taxing me for the purchase price and then adding the dealer fee on top of that number). Now that added about $30 extra, but to me it's the principal. Now you could say, "Why didn't you have them eliminate the dealer fee??" For used cars at internet price, they won't budge on that because they have to make money somehow. The car I looked at was almost $4k less on the internet than it was on the lot.

4. Dealerships are clever. Slyly, they took my license to make a copy to do the test drive/pull interest rates...but in all the hoopla afterward, they didn't give it back. Because I was "all in the game" at the time, I hadn't paid attention either. So when I left for CarMax after 3 hours of maneuvering, I had to come back to them to get my license to complete my transaction at CarMax. Very clever and I'm not the only one that's happened to.

5. The experience. The "I need to go to the back office to talk to the finance guys" routine got really old after the 3rd time. Plus they kept bring additional people, additional times to try to deal. Yeah, it was fun for the first hour and a half, but after that my patience wore thin--especially when I started noticing little things that bothered me.

6. Between my wife and I, we've purchased 4 cars from CarMax (2 each)...and while we spent a little more than market the experience is what drives their business. Their sales people are friendly and easy-going, the sales people ARE the finance guys so there is no going back and forth, and all the numbers are worked on right in front of you. You know exactly what's up at every turn.

7. CarMax--and even the dealership admitted this--has no competition when it comes to used cars. Because their buying power is so strong, they have their "pick of the litter" so to speak on quality used vehicles. That means the vehicles they put on their lots are top notch. They won't even put a car on the lot if a 6" x 6" sq area needs to be repainted. The 2011 I ended up getting was immaculate. There wasn't a single blemish on the car save the very bottom of the front spoiler where the previous owner must have scraped it against a curb. It was not very visible so it didn't bother me. Outside of that, the car looked liked it had just rolled off the factory floor--much better than the 2013 from the dealership.

8. Just like dealerships or private party sales, you have to understand the differences and how to "play the game". For me, the CarMax game is the best. If you find a used car is way above market value, then save it (via CM's web portal), sign up for car alerts, and watch it every day. I jumped on this one 30 min after I got an email saying it had dropped in price. Doing that, I've only purchased CM cars that were $400 or less above dealer market. You take into consideration that CarMax gets hundreds of cars weekly and you know that there is a 95% chance the car you want/like will show up in a week's time if you miss the original one you wanted. The caveat is you can't be emotional about the purchase. I saved/watched 7 cars that I would have been cool purchasing. By the time they got to the price I wanted and I wasn't too slow on reserving--I missed 2 cars that way--5 of the 7 had been snatched up within 10 day's time.

9. Last note: the car I got was a "Fleet" car--which was great (the dealer car was a personal lease). CarMax will note "Fleet/Rental/Lease" on their website, but when you get to the store the car will actually display which of the 3 it was. And in my opinion, Fleet>=Lease>Rental. Leased cars are generally well taken car of, but owners sometimes slack on maintenance. With fleet cars, your mileage is reported every time you fill up with gas & get service, so you must take the car in when the service mileage is reached. My wife had a company car a year and half ago and drove it hard--but any time something went wrong/there was some maintenance/service to be had, she was mandated to take it in. Even though her car had been through a lot (she even broke off a mirror backing out of the garage), it was like brand new when she turned it over.

10. CarMax puts more into the restoration of used cars than dealers will. My wife's Pilot we got last year--CM repaired the leather on the armrest, replaced a battery, and did some other maintenance on the car once I told them I wanted to test drive. That's money they placed in the car without me even committing to purchase. The dealer offered to "buff" some of the paint scratches out on the 2013...which barely made a difference.

Sorry for the long response!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whats up everybod, names Angel just bought a base model 2005 camry with a 5 speed mt 130,000 miles, I got the tick coming from the valve cover but Im learning to live with it PEACE

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello

Hello, I just purcahsed a 2011 Toyota Camry LE. It is my First Toyota, and first car I have Financed. I have a few questions, Hopefully, I can find them in the "Search" function. So far, I like the car, has some go, for a 4 CYL, and it rides nice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome and hope you are enjoying your Camry. The search feature is at the top of this forum in the center of the red line.

A little common sense maintenance and you'll be driving it trouble free many many miles.

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
Hello...I have a few questions, Hopefully, I can find them in the "Search" function.

The Search function is above the top of the last two right columns of ALL the FORUMS (replies/views) and the arrow to it's right brings down the option for ADVANCE SEARCH to search by forum and forum member as well as by word...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, I just picked up a 4cyl 07 camry se last week and found this forum recently, and its great to see there is a community for guys like us

Im from Toronto Canada with fair knowledge with cars

anyways, i just have a quick question regarding a good aftermarket GPS nav system. i found a few from ebay and i was wondering if anybody have any feedback on them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Toyota-Camry-Aurion-2007-2011-GPS-Navigation-Car-Stereo-DVD-CD-Player-Camera-/111216163039

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-DVD-GPS-Radio-Navigation-8-Player-for-Toyota-Camry-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-/390631377995

what do you guys think?

Cheers

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey guys, I just picked up a 4cyl 07 camry se last week and found this forum recently, and its great to see there is a community for guys like us

anyways, i just have a quick question regarding a good aftermarket GPS nav system. i found a few from ebay and i was wondering if anybody have any feedback on them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Toyota-Camry-Aurion-2007-2011-GPS-Navigation-Car-Stereo-DVD-CD-Player-Camera-/111216163039

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-DVD-GPS-Radio-Navigation-8-Player-for-Toyota-Camry-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-/390631377995

what do you guys think?

Cheers
Google your models for reviews you will find all you want on GPS.........here it's a car forum....:nerd:

CYA

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

what do you guys think?

Cheers
This is the closest to stock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g-QRJS1Z00

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I recently bought a pre-owned 2010 Camry Hybrid with 73,000 kilometers on the clock. The previous owner (who used it for 8 months) bought it as a signature class from Toyota and have extended its warranty so I still have around 4 years of warranty on the vehicle.

Looking forward to get to know the vehicle and the community more.

1541 - 1560 of 1598 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
521 Participants
05ghost
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing