Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just wondering where I might be able to find some good aftermarket cams for my 88 N/A supra. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Webcams does regrinds. TED Components and TODA both make new cams of varying profiles from billet stock to minimize shim issues. Roughly $750 per side for grinds, 1400 per side for new billet...most people stop looking at this point...also little to be gained. If there's one thing Toyota did right, it's match these cams to the head. You need to race port the head to see the upgrade cams do anything more.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little to gain seems to be the phrase I keep hearing when talking about this motor. What I would ideally like to do is a 1JZTE swap, but I just don't want this thing to end up being a money pit. Any suggestions for better bolt on power?

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Painfully, turbo.

The engine on anything but radical surgery is not going to pick up more than roughly 10% more power. Radical cams, compression ratio changes, major head work and such might get you to 300 crank, but only a few have bothered. The turbo motor and parts are peanuts by comparison. 1j is a medium to tough swap. Best bet is to turbo the 7m-ge. Parts are common, and it's not terribly expensive or complex.

Bob

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Screw turboing the 7m-ge, swap in the 7m-gte. $900 shipped (then throw in another $100 for misc parts, seals, oil, trans. fluid, etc.) and you've got a motor that was designed to handle boost.

As is, the ECU won't be friendly to a boosted motor (on a 7m-ge) the block doesn't have oil squirters so there's less cooling on the pistons themselves, and w/the higher compression motor (of the two) it'll pop the Head Gasket quicker.

As for the 1JZ, you're welcome to do it, however consider how much tougher it is to get generic parts here in the US. It's what often changes most peoples minds on the 1jz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was first contemplating doing a 7mg-te swap. I didn't know how much work would be involved in the swap so i figured I would check out my options from people who know a lot about this stuff. Do you think the N/A trans could stand up to the turbo motor? and would it just bolt straight up to it?

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Honestly, I don't recall. There has to be a reason why there are two different trannies. The N/A used the w58 tranny, and the turbo model uses the R154. The R154 has proven reliable past 700hp, I don't know a thing about the W58.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah that's the thing. I mean I've seen R154's for sort of cheap. But it's just a little bit longer than the W58...so that means a new drive shaft. It just sounds like more of a pain than it's worth, unless the W58 can handle the 7mgte. If I reall correctly the 7mgte comes stock with aprox 260 hp or so. I would hope that the N/A could handle that.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
My thoughts are your $900 swap is an expensive roll of the dice. Most of these "low milage" engine places are full of it, and haven't a clue the real mileage. Jarco is one of the few I'd trust, and they won't be had for $900...try double, but for your money, you get to see the car it came from, and a video of it driving around before they cut it up (at least they used to).

Slapping in an unknown engine, be my guest, but lets just say I have yet to see one still running in my person 3 years later...many who worked with their known decent condition engine do when they spent the time and effort to do it right.

W58 has proven fine up to 350. Beyond that, kiss it goodbye in short order. 7M-GE turbo conversion cars will do 260, all else otherwise stock. 7M-GTE run 230. Many run the higher compression with no problems up to the stupid boost levels, and even there proper tuning is worth the weight in gold. Having access to a parts source for the computer and sensors and harness is the easiest way to turbo it without a swap. Injectors are also in order.

Bob

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
I've personally swapped in 8 7M-Gte's from nippon-motors.com. Minus head gasket issues that were recommended to be taken care of before hand, there have been NO issues with the motors. In fact 3 of them came w/little extras. One had $200 plug wires and $30/apiece HKS Iridium plugs (back when they cost that much). Another (not my personal one) came with a 60-1 Turbo on it and a tubular manifold.

As for Jarco. Who says that video means anything?
"Umm bob, we don't have a history for this motor."
"Oh, we don't? Oh well, send a generic."

Beyond that, their webpage lists no 7M's in stock. I'd rather pay $900 for a shipped motor than to pay $1800 for a shipped motor and video tape.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Most Jarco motors and clips are acquire when ordered. Granted, the only video I actually watched was for a front clip 1j a friend brought in. They focus on the numbers, unique marks, things that help assure you got what you saw. Sure they could fake it, but given the track record, I'm thinking not so much.

Take a look at various supra sites for the Jarco track record...nobody gets it right that often, though it seems you've done alright with Nippon.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts