Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many, many years, we finally have a new car to replace the old 96 Corolla. My wife swears her family bought it new in 1996 when she was in high school, and it's been in her family ever since. It was a good car for a long time, but it just got too unreliable to the point where I was just tired of messing with it. It just blew the head gasket a couple weeks ago with 282K miles, and I spent about $300 in parts fixing it plus all the other leaking and old stuff. But it still had some nagging problems like engine not starting after cranking unless the throttle was held open. Not a good thing for my wife trying to cart around our 6 year old son.

I've enjoyed my time here, and might stop back in from time to time if there are topics I can help with.

Last pic before leaving the car at the Mazda dealership:

And our new-ish 2014 CX-5! Wife is loving it so far.

·
RollaLivin'96'
99' Corolla
340 Posts
Heck well, Congratulations!

Sad to see that clean rolla go, I would not have expected it to have that many miles, looks new from factory! Sad you did not part it or something, oh well trade-in is much easier. Once the Toyota Dealership offered me 2k (April?) for my 96' .. They'll do anything to sell you a loan, especially when I was looking at the TC or the FRS.

·
Mr Mojo Risin'
1993 Corolla DX
579 Posts
I'd have probably bought it from you if I'd have known you were going to trade it! Like seriously I would come up there (assuming you're in the northeast area and the dealership only gave you a few hundred) and towed it home to Texas to be used as an organ donor. Ah well

At least you have a newer faster car with AC. You luxurious bastard! Good luck fellow space ranger

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have probably bought it from you if I'd have known you were going to trade it! Like seriously I would come up there (assuming you're in the northeast area and the dealership only gave you a few hundred) and towed it home to Texas to be used as an organ donor. Ah well

At least you have a newer faster car with AC. You luxurious bastard! Good luck fellow space ranger
haha man the car had issues, intermittent non-starting problems, rough idle, sticky gas pedal, all cropped up since I replaced the head gasket 2 weeks ago. The paint on it was in really rough shape, too. Clearcoat peeling all over the place. Weird smells inside. Believe me, it was junky.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,425 Posts
Hopefully it ends up with someone who is going to drive it and also get it up to snuff. Hopefully they'll join up here. But we won't recognize the car because they'll be ashamed of those hubcaps, and be yet another Sunfire Red 7th Gen sporting murder-black steelies! (emoticon - they seem to be missing...)

Congrats on the Mazda. It's got to be quite a step up from even the most pristine low-mileage 7th Gen.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hopefully it ends up with someone who is going to drive it and also get it up to snuff. Hopefully they'll join up here. But we won't recognize the car because they'll be ashamed of those hubcaps, and be yet another Sunfire Red 7th Gen sporting murder-black steelies! (emoticon - they seem to be missing...)

Congrats on the Mazda. It's got to be quite a step up from even the most pristine low-mileage 7th Gen.
Dealer will most likely sell it for scrap. Or to auction perhaps. I just hate that I left it there with a full tank of gas, fresh coolant, fresh oil, fresh brake fluid, completely new/overhauled rear drum brakes, and only about 1 year old tires.

They actually gave us less on the trade than what I spent on repair parts in the past year (CV axles, battery, rear brakes, head gasket, misc. other gaskets and oil seals).

·
My actual picture
1995 Corolla DX
426 Posts
The fact that corollas seem to last close to 300K, based on what i have read here, gives me a lot of hope for my car since it only has 151K. Yeah I know they need repairs now and then but unlike american cars which are pretty much toast after 200K, it cannot be too bad.

There does come a time when a car just gets to be more hassles than one can keep up with.

I can only imagine though having to part with a car after 20 years. It would be like parting ways with an old friend.

Even though it caused a lot of grief towards the end, you and especially your wife will always miss that car. I would say the car had a good life.

The mazda looks real good. 10 years from now, I bet it will be still running good enough for your son to learn to drive with. And just like all of us did at 16, he won't be out even one minute after 4:00 AM, after going "nowhere". 0:)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol nope, actually neither of us miss the car one bit. We both said good riddance to it.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,678 Posts
After many, many years, we finally have a new car to replace the old 96 Corolla. My wife swears her family bought it new in 1996 when she was in high school, and it's been in her family ever since. It was a good car for a long time, but it just got too unreliable to the point where I was just tired of messing with it. It just blew the head gasket a couple weeks ago with 282K miles, and I spent about $300 in parts fixing it plus all the other leaking and old stuff. But it still had some nagging problems like engine not starting after cranking unless the throttle was held open. Not a good thing for my wife trying to cart around our 6 year old son.

I've enjoyed my time here, and might stop back in from time to time if there are topics I can help with.
Did you ever find out what the cause of the non-starting was?

Mine's doing the exact same thing right now... :frown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.