Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a new/slightly used or newer model toyota (Depending on the deal) most probably a Highlander or 4runner. I have following queries:

1. What is the best time of the year to buy toyotas new or used. I see there are some incentives available on some dealers websites.

2. How much room is there for negotiation with the dealer for a new vehicle. For example my friend bought a brand new 4runner and he said dealer was asking $47k but he got it out of the door for $42k. That is almost $5k difference. A few times when I went to shop for cars, the dealers wouldn't lower even $1k.

There is a 2019 Highlander LE for $31k at one of the dealers, so in there a way dealer would bring down $4-5k on such listed price?

3. I have observed car prices have gone up by almost $2k since 2018. Is this only my observation or car prices are actually going up? Should we wait further till the end of the year? or next year?

Thanks.

·
straight cash homie
18,850 Posts
Many Toyotas are better to bought new, since some such as the trucks and 4Runners don't depreciate that much when used.

Websites don't tell you the whole story. 4Runners are in demand now, so you have to shop around for a deal if you wanted one of those. Right now is a good time to buy a 2019 due to the model year change over. For the Highlander, the 2020 is all new so hopefully dealers are more motivated to discount the 19s.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Prices are based on supply vs demand. A brand new completely remodeled generation of the HL (2020 model) will be coming out around December time frame, so you probably can get a very good deal on a 2019 HL starting now through the end of the year. I would go to dealer websites and look at their inventory to see how many they have. The more they have, the lower the price. You can also see what inventory at dealers near you may be available later this year at the Toyota website.

It is always a gamble on whether to purchase now, or wait until the 2020's start arriving and hope they are still over-stocked with 2019's that they will sell at big discounts. It is very hard to predict what demand will be for 2019's for the rest of this year. But HL's do sell for pretty good discounts now if you shop around and are a good negotiator (make sure the sales person knows you are getting quotes from other dealers).

Do your homework, and visit the dealer websites of all dealers near you to check out their inventory (but don't pay attention to the prices). If you are a terrible negotiator, try a car buyer service from Costco, your bank or credit union, etc.

Personally, I would go for a HL LE Plus, over the LE, because you get the V6 engine and a lot of other good stuff.

·
Camry Freak
1,105 Posts
Normally dealers don't discount 4Runners very much- but right now seems to be a good time to buy one. My local dealer is advertising them for about $3,500 off of MSRP of base models and $4,000 off of Limiteds. Most dealers only have a handful of 4Runners on the lot- so you might have difficulty finding the color/trim/options that you want. My dealer only has 23 on the lot- and half of those are top-level Limiteds.

Right now is also a very good time to buy a Highlander, and you'll likely be able to score a decent deal on one because the new 2020 models are coming out soon. My local dealer is currently advertising base Highlanders with the 4 cylinder engines for about $28,400. They are advertising LE V6 models for about $31,000, and LE Plus models for about $34,000. In short, about $4,000 off of MSRP. I agree with the poster above that a LE Plus is worth the cost of the upgrade. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get much lower than that right now. Prices are great right now and most dealers seem to have a lot of different color/trim/options available on the lot. (My dealer has 102 new Highlanders on the lot right now- and there is a decent selection at each trim level)

I think that the 2020 models are coming out in December, so prices for the 2019 models will likely go down a bit more- but probably not much. Highlanders are really popular and $4,000 off of MSRP is a decent deal that many will likely take advantage of. If you wait until October or November, you might get a slightly better price, but you'll have a lot less of a selection to pick from. My sister waited until the last minute to buy a 2018 Rav4 as the new generation 2019 models arrived on the lot. She got a really nice price- but by the time she went to the dealer they only had base and top-level models left over (in colors that she really didn't like. She scored a nice deal- getting a LE base model for less than $19,000... but she really wanted an XLE 4x4... but they didn't have any left.

Personally- I'd buy now. If I'm going to spend $30,000 on a new car/suv, I'm going to get the one that I want, with the options I want, in the color combo I want... even if I have to spend an extra $500 or $1000 (or forgo that amount in potential savings if I waited a month or two). My wife and I keep our cars for ten years or more- so spending a little more to get what we want is worth it over the long haul.

My wife's Camry is twelve years old and we'd love to replace it with a new Highlander. When I saw my local dealer's prices- I was really tempted. After discussing it with my wife, she decided that she'd rather keep her Camry for a while longer. There's nothing wrong with it and it's been super reliable. I love my car and would never trade it for a SUV, regardless of how great of a deal it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts