Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback
429 Posts
The answer to why companies are using fuel cells? Simple. OIL COMPANIES. They don't have to change their business model to sell a product, only the equipment to sell said product. Mobil pushed the EV legislation out of California and was to blame for Chevy's program for the EV1 lease to be terminated. It also caused a lot of other companies to follow suit. I've seen in video where Toyota engineers have even said hydrogen is still a long way off. But if companies like Mobil1, Shell, BP, etc are pumping money into their developmental program, it's easy to see why they continue to develop.

Again, don't know why we are having this conversation here. Would be better off in general chat.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'll nitpick a bit:
Are there any 21st Century vehicles that haven't adopted 100K plugs? I would assume Corolla has 100K plugs...
Even though owners might elect to do a CVT flush, is it in the maintenance schedule? If it is, what's indicated for "severe service" as I assume most CVT systems are considered "sealed" (I never maintained a CVT vehicle, it's been a while, the last CVT vehicles I saw were the Justy CVT and Civic HX coupe CVT)
No incandescent bulbs on the Corolla, right? Well, maybe the hatchback is all LED, isn't it?

Speaking of "typical dealership" that brings up another huge issue for me concerning Tesla: they won't sell parts to DIY people, and I assume they won't sell to independent repair shops.

By limiting service choices in the comparison, we are kind of "accepting" that Tesla is trying to establish a new order for consumers. The idea of not being able to fix your own vehicle irks me, of course new generation people can't fix anything these days but at least allow them to have their vehicle they own be repaired by indies. It's well documented that Teslas suffer from the same mechanical maladies as most Euro vehicles of poor repute. Of course Teslas don't blow head gaskets, but their body electromechanics and suspension hardware do fail on a regular basis. So, an out-of-warranty Tesla will absolutely need regular attention as door handle actuators, ball joints, shocks, power windows, etc, fail. Forcing second or third hand owners to pay full Tesla service prices almost guarantees the cars to become disposable.
Aren't only the front exterior lights (maybe only the headlights) LED on the Corolla sedan and most of everything else incandescent? If so, you will still likely have to replace various other burnt out bulbs in 5 years. A Telsa is more likely to be all LED everywhere.

I was only listing things I can think of. If spark plugs are supposed to last 100K miles and CVT fluid change not required, then those can be skipped in the estimated costs.
There could be other maintenance items I didn't think of to list.

I'm sure that the Tesla will have much lower maintenance costs and reduced service center income is supposed to be one of the reasons auto manufacturers drag their feet developing and producing EVs. If EVs were to become wildly popular, dealership service centers would lose their profits and have to lay off staff. Some dealerships would have to close down because they got most of their yearly profits from repairing and maintaining ICE components. The reduced service would put their entire business in the red.

The only question is whether Corolla maintenance costs at dealership rates are really as high as Edmunds claims. I think 3-4K, sounds too high, but I haven't seen any different numbers listing out what the total should really be.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I bought a 40 year old Honda CB350 motorcycle did a clean and tune, repaired everything that needed it but left the paint and other cosmetic original, sat for 28 years. Never had to replace a single bulb. sold it a couple of years later, still with all the 1971 dated bulbs in 2013. You're grabbing for straws. The spark plugs in a new Toyota will need replacement when the battery in your Tesla needs replacement. Even the early Prii here are going cheap when their batteries die. Your Tesla battery bricks, how much to replace that? That heavy ass Tesla will need some expensive tires long before 100k. Wifes Sorento was traded in at 5 years and 55k miles. Only thing i replaced was the oil and filter every 7500 miles. Cost $31 per change, so $210 total maintenance, while you would need tires, hers were at 3/32 all around, rotated once by me. Try insuring your Tesla for $18 a month. Property taxes will pay for a years fuel for me $720, while mine are $30.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bulbs or not isn't the issue. I would only expect one or two bulbs to burn out at most in 5 years and it wouldn't amount to much costs towards Edmunds' $3400-$4000 estimates for 5 years of maintenance and typical repairs.
I don't think oil changes and tires adds up to that much, so there are clearly other costs over 5 years to get to those numbers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aren't only the front exterior lights (maybe only the headlights) LED on the Corolla sedan and most of everything else incandescent? If so, you will still likely have to replace various other burnt out bulbs in 5 years. A Telsa is more likely to be all LED everywhere.

I was only listing things I can think of. If spark plugs are supposed to last 100K miles and CVT fluid change not required, then those can be skipped in the estimated costs.
There could be other maintenance items I didn't think of to list.

I'm sure that the Tesla will have much lower maintenance costs and reduced service center income is supposed to be one of the reasons auto manufacturers drag their feet developing and producing EVs. If EVs were to become wildly popular, dealership service centers would lose their profits and have to lay off staff. Some dealerships would have to close down because they got most of their yearly profits from repairing and maintaining ICE components. The reduced service would put their entire business in the red.

The only question is whether Corolla maintenance costs at dealership rates are really as high as Edmunds claims. I think 3-4K, sounds too high, but I haven't seen any different numbers listing out what the total should really be.
Since when did most companies care about laying off employees? So many people have lost their jobs to subsidized Chinese manufacturing, nobody really seems to care.

And in some cases, a trip to a dealer service department can be expensive, even for a Corolla. Lots of people are cheated out of money at dealer service departments. My mom is a huge victim of dealers, every time she gets ripped off. Didn't matter if it was her previous Toyota or her current Honda, they see her coming. She once paid the dealer to replace every part in the braking system of her then-3-year-old Honda CR-V. So, maybe the averaging of dealer service department costs seems high because there's a fair number of people being taken advantage of.

Most of us know, modern cars really don't require so much maintenance. I find it suspicious that a Corolla would need $4K of service in 5 years, my Nissan Titan has probably just recently passed $4K after 13 years, and it ain't no Toyota Corolla!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
The average person doesn’t do their own maintenance though.
If you get all scheduled maintenance done a Toyota service center rates including new brake pads, tires and wiper blades, maybe one unexpected wheel alignment, new 12v battery etc., does that even add up to $3K-4K over 5 years?
No, not even close.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I don't think you have same meaning I have of "road trip".
I mean 600+ miles a day. I realize newer generation don't do this type of trip any more, but for my family, we regularly drive from WA state to all points west of the Rockies, and oddly, we enjoy it.
We can "recharge" our gas vehicle's 400-500 mile range in 12-15 minutes INCLUDING potty breaks and snacky treats. There's no way you'd ever be able to do that in an EV, not for a long while yet.
The fastest charge rates for EVs generally are to 80% at which point the rates decrease greatly. Also, EVs don't like to be hooned through the mountains, not good for their range. I had a Stage 1 2016 GTI that was seriously quick at elevation going UP mountains, even driving like a total bafoon I barely knocked the range down at all in that car.
I do this do when traveling from Vancouver, WA. I drive through the night as Salt Lake City is a 12 hour drive. There's not much to see from here to there and I can then drive through the day and get to Albuquerque. An EV won't cut it yet.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
With a Tesla, charging to 80% at a Supercharger is fast and the Supercharger stops are usually well located spaced more than close enough that you rarely need to waste time waiting to "fill it" 100%. In the time for a car load of people to take turns using the restroom at a gas station, you can recharge enough to get to the next bathroom stop.
Every few hours, most people want to take a longer break of at least 30 minutes for a sit down meal and at those stops you can add longer Supercharging sessions.

It can also be a miserable trip trying to cover as much ground as physically possible in the absolute minimal time possible, stretching out bathroom breaks to 400+ mile stints to the point that people are getting very uncomfortable and risking blood clots.
I could never use a Tesla and do the kind of roads trips that I like to do. Many of my miles are on 2 lane back road highways where you will never see a Supercharger. When I drove to Alaska I'm not sure that I could make it in a Tesla. I carried extra fuel with me just in case though with a 400+ mile range on my Corolla I never needed it. Are you going to carry a generator with you to charge up your Tesla? That would take forever.

I've driven for 400+ miles. stopped to fill up, stretch and use the restroom and do it all again. I move my legs all the time while driving to prevent any blood clots and I can stop and stretch for a few minutes at any off ramp or rest stop. The trip is the part that I enjoy. I've driven my 2009 Corolla S to every state except Hawaii and I've enjoyed every mile!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,405 Posts
I'll take a Toyota Hybrid (almost any of the current models) over a Tesla Electric until I start seeing more reliable electric vehicles that is not just from Tesla in addition I need to see the infrastructure fully standardized like phone charging ports because I don't want to deal with a Tesla, a Honda, a Toyota, a GM, a Ford charger. In addition, I have read stories of damage to a Tesla and the price to repair it being more than plenty of $$$. At that point, given you would already have a Tesla I would assume you will pay to fix it... or replace it with another one... or complain and moan like everyone else with a vehicle.

I can see why Toyota is sticking with Hybrids because that is just what they are. A hybrid between a battery and a internal combustion engine. If the battery is gonna die, the engine recharges it. If the battery is gonna die in a Tesla, I guess you are gonna steal someone's electrical outlet as some certain people have done.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The answer to why companies are using fuel cells? Simple. OIL COMPANIES. They don't have to change their business model to sell a product, only the equipment to sell said product. Mobil pushed the EV legislation out of California and was to blame for Chevy's program for the EV1 lease to be terminated. It also caused a lot of other companies to follow suit. I've seen in video where Toyota engineers have even said hydrogen is still a long way off. But if companies like Mobil1, Shell, BP, etc are pumping money into their developmental program, it's easy to see why they continue to develop.
It is true that natural gas can be used to manufacture hydrogen fuel cells. But natural gas is also is the most widely used fuel for electrical generating plants in the US, and likely to increase in the future as plants move away from coal.

As far as the distribution of hydrogen fuel cells to existing gas stations, the big oil companies are almost completely out of the that business. Most big oil companies have sold all their gas stations to other companies that specialize in that business (even though they still use the oil company name at the pump). Also, the big oil companies own only a very small amount of the natural gas pipelines (they are owned by pipeline companies like Williams Company, Energy Transfer, and many others).

So I don't know what you are talking about when you say that hydrogen fuel cells don't require oil companies to change their business model.

Your conspiracy theories about big oil companies are just wrong. The idea that California voters and legislature could be bamboozled by big oil companies is laughable.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What else "might" likely fail out of warranty in 5 years (alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, belts and hoses) and add up to Edmunds' 5 year estimates of $3400-$4000 if you are part of the majority of people who don't do auto maintenance and repair yourself?
Engine and CVT are covered under 5-year powertrain warranty. Component and system wise, other than electric motor, are all similar between the two...

To answer your other Qs: maintenance costs I expect in the first 5 years are oil changes (engine and CVT), and air filters (engine and cabin). My HB has mostly LED bulbs, some interior halogen.

I don't expect having to replace anything else that isn't covered under warranty in the first 5 years...

·
Registered
19 Corolla Hatchback
429 Posts
It is true that natural gas can be used to manufacture hydrogen fuel cells. But natural gas is also is the most widely used fuel for electrical generating plants in the US, and likely to increase in the future as plants move away from coal.

As far as the distribution of hydrogen fuel cells to existing gas stations, the big oil companies are almost completely out of the that business. Most big oil companies have sold all their gas stations to other companies that specialize in that business (even though they still use the oil company name at the pump). Also, the big oil companies own only a very small amount of the natural gas pipelines (they are owned by pipeline companies like Williams Company, Energy Transfer, and many others).

So I don't know what you are talking about when you say that hydrogen fuel cells don't require oil companies to change their business model.

Your conspiracy theories about big oil companies are just wrong. The idea that California voters and legislature could be bamboozled by big oil companies is laughable.

Conspiracy theories don't have solid facts behind them. Watch this entire documentary.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I do this do when traveling from Vancouver, WA. I drive through the night as Salt Lake City is a 12 hour drive. There's not much to see from here to there and I can then drive through the day and get to Albuquerque. An EV won't cut it yet.
There are always going to be edge cases of people who need to drive hundreds of miles into the wilderness too far from any current DC fast charger or Supercharger or feel that it's critical to always drive 1000 miles straight through never stopping for anything other than refilling the gas tank.
There will also be people who want to do this while pulling a large trailer and then a Corolla won't work for them either. There will be edge cases of edge cases of edge cases.

No vehicle works for all people in all scenarios, but a quick charging EV will work a large segment of the driving population. There is even a large segment of the population where a slow charging EV would work fine for 360 days of the year driving around their local area and always recharging at home and then they rent a car for 5 days to visit family hundreds of miles away over the holidays and will still come out financially well ahead based on the savings they had on fuel and maintenance for all the rest of the year. Even that's an edge case of assuming that the EV is their one and only vehicle requiring them to rent another vehicle to do this.
Same for people who rent trucks at Home Depot to haul large items home once or twice a year and drive a Corolla instead of owning a pickup all year just in case they might need to haul something bulky a few times over the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just read the title of this thread so I apologize for not reading the entire thread. Anyway:

First off the ANY semi new Tesla base price is higher than the Corolla, so take that that into account. Corollas start around 20k-25k Teslas start at 35k...... So right off the bat add at least $10k to cost to own.

Second it is only cheaper because it is an EV so the same could be said about any EV.

Third, there is a known fault where this one part of the memory the Tesla uses internally to log data can get degraded form too many read/writes and cause major failure such as the screen stops working or the car won't charge source at jalopnik. Oh btw I asked some folks at work who are Tesla nerds, to fix that failure that has zero symptoms and can happen at any time after about 4 years it can cost around $3,000 to fix. So another feel good that your older tesla can fail at anytime with no warning and leave you stranded.

Bonus point: You cannot service it yourself, so expect with any issue to pay shop prices, no DIY savings like you can get easily with the Corolla.

Also yeah your not spending a ton, but that is because your taking tax money from hardworking folks to pay for your charging and incentive programs, so feel good bragging about that. Plus all that eletricity you get for free or cheap isn't so green, look it up. So take that morally high stance and stick it.

To continue, if you add up all the time you had to wait for it to charge while you where not at home or work, and apply the money your time is worth, that is worth factoring in (including waiting in line to use chargers)

Oh yeah to top it all off... anyone buying a Tesla is betting battery tech will get so cheap and improve so much by the time their battery runs through its life. Guess what, new battery is NOT cheap. So I suggest anyone up the butt about tesla take a gander at what it cost to replace a battery.

Also resale value, let us just wait and see what a new tesla sells for when it is 5 years old vs a Corolla. I don't think you need to be a math whiz to figure that one out.

To sum it all up, sure MAYBE 5 years a Tesla is cheaper. 6-10 years + I would bet the Corolla outlasts and is cheaper to run through its entire life than any tesla.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
Just read the title of this thread so I apologize for not reading the entire thread. Anyway:

First off the ANY semi new Tesla base price is higher than the Corolla, so take that that into account. Corollas start around 20k-25k Teslas start at 35k...... So right off the bat add at least $10k to cost to own.

Second it is only cheaper because it is an EV so the same could be said about any EV.

Third, there is a known fault where this one part of the memory the Tesla uses internally to log data can get degraded form too many read/writes and cause major failure such as the screen stops working or the car won't charge source at jalopnik. Oh btw I asked some folks at work who are Tesla nerds, to fix that failure that has zero symptoms and can happen at any time after about 4 years it can cost around $3,000 to fix. So another feel good that your older tesla can fail at anytime with no warning and leave you stranded.

Bonus point: You cannot service it yourself, so expect with any issue to pay shop prices, no DIY savings like you can get easily with the Corolla.

Also yeah your not spending a ton, but that is because your taking tax money from hardworking folks to pay for your charging and incentive programs, so feel good bragging about that. Plus all that eletricity you get for free or cheap isn't so green, look it up. So take that morally high stance and stick it.

To continue, if you add up all the time you had to wait for it to charge while you where not at home or work, and apply the money your time is worth, that is worth factoring in (including waiting in line to use chargers)

Oh yeah to top it all off... anyone buying a Tesla is betting battery tech will get so cheap and improve so much by the time their battery runs through its life. Guess what, new battery is NOT cheap. So I suggest anyone up the butt about tesla take a gander at what it cost to replace a battery.

To sum it all up, sure MAYBE 5 years a Tesla is cheaper. 6-10 years + I would bet the Corolla outlasts and is cheaper to run through its entire life than any tesla.
I agree with a lot of this. According to my records on my 2009 Corolla S I had very few expenses. I only had to do oil changes that I did for $25 each including the Mobil 1 and Toyota filter. I replaced the tires once but that was my choice. The OEM tires were fine. I put them on my 2007 Corolla CE when I bought new 17" wheels and tires for my 09 Corolla S. Most everything I did to my Corolla was my choice but the actual money spent on maintenance was hardly anything in the 1st 5 years.

The other thing to consider is that EV's are better in some areas more than others. Electricity here in the Pacific NW is relatively cheap and comes from clean sources like hydroelectric and wind. In the NW it's much more expensive.

I love the idea of a plug-in hybrid and have thought about the Prius Prime for a couple of years. The new RAV4 Prime will be interesting to see. I just wish I liked the new RAV4 more. I'm not a fan at all of the design in or out. I love my 2017 RAV4 much more design wise and it's been an excellent vehicle. I've been getting 28-32 MPG on most tanks and have averaged 30.3 mpg over my last 10 tanks and 29.8 mpg since I bought it new. Not bad for a gas only model. Some guys don't get that with their Corolla! haha

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,405 Posts
My mom bought my 2008 Camry at about 19,000 miles in 2010 and I have been it's sole driver and I have done nearly all of the maintenance on it myself. I have since driven it up to about 105,000 miles and my current known total of what I have spent is about $5090.06. Add on another $400 for tires and add another possible $400 for oil and air filter change costs that are not accounted for. A majority if not at least 85% of that $5090.06 is on aftermarket parts like speakers, HIDs, LEDs, vinyl wrap, and replacement parts like brake rotors and pads. Realistically, I have not spent much on maintenance. Then again, I don't go anywhere.
MileageDateTitlePart NamePart ManufacturePart NumberDescriptionPrice
-
2/8/2013​
ReplaceFloor MatHuskyWeatherbeater 98512Put in new floor mats$ 123.95
-
2/8/2013​
ReplaceHigh BeamPhilipsVisionPlus 9005Replaced high beams$ 12.58
-
2/8/2013​
ReplaceLow BeamPhilipsCrystalVision Ultra H11Replaced low beams$ 29.17
-
7/9/2013​
InstallEngine RebuildToyotaT-SB-0094-11Toyota rebuilt engine with updated pistons and replaced water pumpN/A
-
8/10/2013​
ReplaceHigh BeamPhilipsCrystalVision Ultra 9005Replaced high beams$ 9.99
-
9/6/2013​
InstallFog LightEbayGenericInstalled fog lights$ 39.99
2/8/2014​
InstallVent Visor (Sides)WeatherTechDark 82421Installed vent visors$ 99.95
2/14/2014​
InstallTail LightSpyderLEDALT-YD-TCAM07-LED-RCInstalled LED tail light$ 188.95
2/17/2014​
InstallFog LightiJDMToy3000K LED H11Installed LED fog light$ 80.99
-
2/21/2014​
ReplaceFog LightDepoFog Light Cover x2Replaced fog light covers$ 18.88
6/25/2014​
InstallCold Air IntakeK&N69-8610TTKInstalled cold air intake$ 305.50
7/8/2014​
InstallReverse LightVLEDLED 5000KInstalled LED reverse light$ 36.74
9/12/2014​
MaintenanceATF Drain & FillToyotaWorld Standard ATFATF drain and fillN/A
3/16/2015​
InstallLow BeamMorimotoElite 5000K HID H11Installed HID low beam$ 150.00
5/23/2015​
ReplaceBatteryO'ReillySuper Start 24REXTOEM battery finally diedN/A
9/20/2015​
ReplaceRear Sway LinkMoogK750011Replaced rear sway linksN/A
9/27/2016​
InstallWindow TintStereo1One35% TintWindows tinted 35%$ 145.00
-
10/10/2016​
InstallTow LoopRaceQuip897147Installed tow loop on frong bumper$ 30.94
-
10/10/2016​
InstallTransport HookToyota51968-33020Installed transport hook$ 44.61
10/11/2016​
ReplaceCoolantToyotaToyota Super Long LifeBusted radiatorN/A
10/11/2016​
ReplaceRadiatorProtechN/ABusted radiatorN/A
11/18/2016​
InstallTires (OEM)BFGoodrichAdvantage T/A SportInstalled tiresN/A
11/28/2016​
InstallHigh BeamMorimoto2-Stoke LED 9005Installed LED high beam$ 90.00
-
3/1/2017​
InstallVent Visor (Rear)Spoiler KingSPK-244RInstalled rear vent visor$ 28.49
3/7/2017​
MaintenanceThrottle BodyN/AN/ACleaned throttle bodyN/A
3/14/2017​
MaintenanceAir FilterK&NRU-4990Cleaned air filterN/A
3/27/2017​
InstallStrut BarMegan RacingMR-SB-TCA07FU-1PInstalled strutbar$ 82.98
4/28/2017​
MaintenanceWindow WiperRainXWeatherbeater 24" 19"Replaced wipersN/A
8/25/2017​
MaintenanceFuel CleanerTechtronConcentrate PlusAdded fuel cleanerN/A
8/30/2017​
InstallThrottle ControllerWeapon-R656-112-102Installed throttle controller$ 153.84
9/4/2017​
MaintenanceOil ChangeMobil 10W-20 & M1-103AOil changeN/A
9/14/2017​
MaintenanceCabin Air FilterFramCF-10285Replaced cabin air filterN/A
9/25/2017​
DTCEngine CodeN/AP2121Very low throttle, reset throttle controllerN/A
9/25/2017​
RepairThrottle ControllerWireGenericSpliced into arm rest 12v connectorN/A
9/25/2017​
InstallVent Visor (Rear)EbayGenericInstalled rear vent visor$ 46.89
10/30/2017​
ReplaceDoor Handle CoverToyota69217-06030-B2Old door handle cover was lost, replaced partN/A
-
11/30/2017​
InformativeFog LightN/AN/AFog lights stopped workingN/A
-
11/30/2017​
ReplaceLow BeamMorimoto5500K H11B XB HIDReplaced HID bulbs with updated version$ 43.77
-
12/5/2017​
InformativeFog LightN/AN/AElectrical connector near battery has weak connect, replace the connectorsN/A
1/15/2018​
InstallMufflerSpeed DaddySDD-CBEMUTCA07Installed new muffler, replaced and welded new muffler tip$ 91.83
-
2/10/2018​
InformativeBlower MotorN/AN/AMakes sound when on.N/A
-
2/13/2018​
InformativeBlower MotorN/AN/ASound disappearedN/A
-
2/21/2018​
InformativeFog LightN/AN/ARight fog light deadN/A
-
3/17/2018​
RepairPaintN/AN/AUsed Loctite Rust Neutralizer and Jeff's Paint on deep scratches and rust spotsN/A
3/30/2018​
InstallVent Visor (Rear)LT Sport100000000552-201Installed rear vent visor$ 49.99
3/30/2018​
InstallVinyl WrapAverySW900-190-0 Gloss BlackVinyl wrapped roof$ 52.00
4/21/2018​
InstallFloor MatHuskyWeatherBeater 44501Installed cargo mat$ 40.38
4/21/2018​
4/21/2018​
ReplaceVinyl WrapAverySW900-190-0 Gloss BlackRemoved vinyl wrap from roofN/A
4/24/2018​
4/28/2018​
InstallVinyl WrapAverySW900-190-0 Gloss BlackVinyl wrapped roof$ 52.00
5/7/2018​
InstallFog LightMorimotoXB LED (Yell0w Film)Installed new foglight housing$ 185.00
5/7/2018​
ReplaceLH Fog Lamp CoverMutiple ManufacturersTO2598101Swapped fog lamp cover$ 2.75
5/7/2018​
ReplaceRH Fog Lamp CoverMutiple ManufacturersTO2599101Swapped fog lamp cover$ 2.75
5/7/2018​
ReplaceRH Inner Fender Splash ShieldMutiple ManufacturersTO1251122Installed splash shield$ 15.38
7/6/2018​
ReplaceThrottle ControllerWeapon-R656-112-102Rewired throttle controlllerN/A
7/10/2018​
MaintenanceTire RotationN/AN/AFront to BackN/A
7/10/2018​
ReplaceTires (OEM)BFGoodrichAdvantage T/A SportReplaced two tires due to plug leaking, T Rated$ 175.30
-
7/20/2018​
ReplacePCV ValveToyota12204-28030Replaced PCV valve$ 6.31
7/30/2018​
ReplaceSpark PlugDensoSK20R11Replaced spark plugs$ 22.44
8/4/2018​
ReplaceBelt TensionerContinental49396Replaced belt tensioner and swapped 85mm bolt for 70mm or 75mm bolt$ 135.79
8/4/2018​
ReplaceSerpentine BeltContinental4070752Replaced belt$ 17.08
8/15/2018​
MaintenanceWheel AlignmentFirestoneN/AWheels alighnment, minor issuesN/A
8/26/2018​
InstallRear Window SpoilerSpoiler KingSPK-380RInstalled rear window spoiler$ 125.30
9/5/2018​
DTCEngine CodeN/AP0137O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2N/A
9/17/2018​
ReplaceBelt Moulding Assembly FRToyota75710-33130Vinyl wrapped and replaced belt moulding$ 50.45
9/17/2018​
ReplaceBelt Moulding Assembly RRToyota75730-33130Vinyl wrapped and replaced belt moulding$ 58.54
9/21/2018​
ReplaceBelt Moulding Assembly FLToyota75720-33130Vinyl wrapped and replaced belt moulding$ 51.99
9/21/2018​
ReplaceVent Visor (Sides)WeatherTechDark 82421Front visor warranty replacementN/A
9/23/2018​
InstallLicense PlateWI DMVADW-5433Installed new license plate after car registration$ 194.50
9/23/2018​
InstallRear Window SpoilerSpoiler KingSPK-380RReinstalled spoiler with new 3M VHB and Lexel adhisiveN/A
9/24/2018​
ReplaceBelt Moulding Assembly RLToyota75740-33130Vinyl wrapped and replaced belt moulding$ 37.46
10/20/2018​
11/3/2018​
ReplaceFront Speaker AdaptorScoscheSAT69Replaced front speakers$ 7.99
11/3/2018​
ReplaceFront Speaker ConnectorsCrutchfield12071034LReplaced front speakers$ 9.99
11/3/2018​
ReplaceFront SpeakersJBLClub 6520Replaced front speakers$ 49.90
11/3/2018​
ReplaceRear Deck SpeakerJBLClub 9630Replaced rear deck speakers$ 69.95
11/3/2018​
ReplaceRear Deck Speaker AdaptorCustom Install PartsB007ZREFCAReplaced rear deck speakers$ 15.99
11/3/2018​
ReplaceRear Deck Speaker ConnectorMetra72-8104Replaced rear deck speakers$ 6.95
11/20/2018​
ReplaceRadiator CapTRDPTR04-00000-031.1 bar (16 psi) radiator cap replaced by 1.3 bar (19 psi) radiator cap$ 37.44
1/18/2019​
InstallInterior Footwell LightingSUPERBRIGHTLEDsWFLS-NW30-BK: 50cm[19.7in] Cool WhiteInstalled wiring harness to the dome light and interior LED footwell lighting$ 47.57
2/24/2019​
ReplaceInterior Footwell LightingSUPERBRIGHTLEDsWFLS-NW30-BK: 50cm[19.7in] Cool WhiteRewired LR interior LED footwell lightingN/A
2/27/2019​
InstallRear Deck SpeakersN/AN/APlaced to sheets of foam due to rear deck rattle during heavy bass songs$ 3.84
2/27/2019​
InformativeTail LightN/AN/ALR Tail light went out, issue caused by lose wiringN/A
3/15/2019​
InstallPocket PodCoverCraftTO1012CHInstalled pocket pod on trunk lid$ 54.78
3/20/2019​
MaintenanceATF FluidToyotaWorld Standard ATF5 quarts of Toyota World Standard ATF$ 46.42
3/20/2019​
InformativeATF Oil SealN/AN/ARight oil seal leakingN/A
3/20/2019​
MaintenanceATF Pan GasketToyota35168-21020Replaced ATF pan gasket$ 11.42
3/20/2019​
MaintenanceATF Strainer (Filter)Toyota35330-08010Replaced ATF strainer$ 42.38
3/20/2019​
MaintenanceATF Strainer SealToyota90080-30077Replaced ATF strainer seal$ 4.71
3/20/2019​
InstallExhaustMegan RacingMR-CBS-TCA07L4Installed exhaust system$ 399.99
3/20/2019​
InformativePower SteeringN/AN/APower steering hose leaking near resoviorN/A
3/23/2019​
MaintenanceWindow WiperRainXLatitude 24" 19"Replaced wipersN/A
3/24/2019​
4/6/2019​
MaintenanceBrake LubricationPermatexSilicone Ceramic Extreme 24128Lubricated new brake hardware and slide pinsN/A
4/6/2019​
ReplaceFront Brake PadWagnerThermoQuiet QC1293Replaced front pads$ 28.89
4/6/2019​
ReplaceFront Brake RotorWagnerBD126407EReplaced front rotors$ 73.58
4/6/2019​
ReplaceRear Brake PadWagnerThermoQuiet QC1212Replaced rear pads$ 27.79
4/6/2019​
ReplaceRear Brake RotorWagnerBD126489EReplaced rear rotors$ 49.58
4/6/2019​
MaintenanceRear Sway LinkAMSOILSynthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2Lubed rear sway linksN/A
4/6/2019​
DamageRR Caliper Slide PinN/AN/ARR caliper slide pin and boot is damaged and needs to be replacedN/A
4/20/2019​
MaintenanceAir FilterK&NRU-4990Cleaned air filterN/A
4/20/2019​
InformativeBrakesN/AN/ABrake schreeching noiseN/A
4/20/2019​
MaintenanceThrottle BodyN/AN/ACleaned throttle bodyN/A
4/27/2019​
MaintenanceBrake Fluid FlushWagnerFC133301 DOT 5.1Flushed brake fluid with Wagner DOT 5.1N/A
4/27/2019​
ReplaceRear Bottom Rear Caliper PinsWagnerH14160Replace rear bottom caliper pins$ 11.74
4/27/2019​
ReplaceRight Rear Caliper Pin BootsWagnerH18100Replace caliper pin boots$ 4.43
4/29/2019​
ReplaceECMToyota (Junkyard)89961-06G10Swapped OEM ECM with junkyard ECM$ 50.00
4/29/2019​
InformativeECM ClipN/AN/ABroke ECM clip but connector still latches onto the ECUN/A
4/30/2019​
MaintenanceECMToyota (Original)89961-06G10Sent to R9K Tuned$ 299.80
5/11/2019​
MaintenanceCabin Air FilterFramCF-10285Replaced cabin air filterN/A
5/18/2019​
ReplaceFront Brake PadWagnerThermoQuiet QC1293Replaced front pads and hardware, warranty replacementN/A
5/18/2019​
ReplaceRear Brake PadWagnerThermoQuiet QC1212Replaced rear pads and RR hardware, warranty replacementN/A
5/24/2019​
DynoLate Model Throttle LLCStockN/ADynoed vehicle$ 87.61
5/24/2019​
InstallRear Window SpoilerSpoiler KingSPK-380RReinstalled spoiler with new 3M VHB and Liquid Nail Fuze It All Surface adhisiveN/A
5/26/2019​
ReplaceECMToyota (Original)89961-06G10Installed tuned Toyota ECMN/A
6/1/2019​
MaintenanceMass Air Flow SensorDenso22204-31020Cleaned mass air flow sensorN/A
6/1/2019​
MaintenanceOil ChangeMobil 10W-20 & M1-103AChanged OilN/A
6/1/2019​
MaintenanceWindow WiperRainXFusion 24" 19"Replaced wipersN/A
6/3/2019​
DamageOil CapN/AN/AOil cap leaking oil due to over tighteningN/A
6/3/2019​
ReplaceSpark PlugDensoIK20TTChanged spark plugs to twin-tip type$ 22.16
6/7/2019​
ReplaceOil CapToyotaPTR04-12108-02Replaced oil cap$ 50.72
-
6/14/2019​
DynoLate Model Throttle LLCTunedN/ADynoed vehicle$ 87.61
-
6/25/2019​
DTCEngine CodeN/AP0137O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2N/A
7/3/2019​
ReplaceO2 Sensor B1S2Denso2344260Replaced O2 sensor, had to rethread the hole$ 46.79
-
7/9/2019​
ReplaceFloor MatHuskyWeatherbeater 98511Installed new (used) floor mats$ 94.45
7/13/2019​
MaintenanceBrake LubricationPermatexSilicone Ceramic Extreme 24129Lubricated new brake hardware and slide pinsN/A
7/13/2019​
ReplaceFront Caliper Guide PinRaybestosH15240 ProfessionialReplaced front caliper guide pins$ 9.76
7/13/2019​
ReplaceFront Caliper Guide Pin BushingRaybestosH16153 ProfessionialReplaced front caliper bushings$ 2.97
7/13/2019​
ReplaceRear Caliper Guide PinWagnerH14160Replaced rear caliper guide pins$ 9.32
7/13/2019​
ReplaceRear Caliper Guide Pin BushingRaybestosH16094 ProfessionialReplaced rear caliper bushings$ 5.59
7/13/2019​
ReplaceRear Pad Drag Reduction ClipRaybestosH6033 ProfessionialReplaced rear pad drag reduction clips$ 5.38
-
7/16/2019​
InformativeLeft Sun VisorN/AN/ALeft sun visor brokeN/A
-
7/19/2019​
ReplaceLeft Sun VisorToyota74320-06780-B0Replaced sun visor$ 56.79
-
8/9/2019​
InformativeBrakesN/AN/ABrake schreeching noiseN/A
8/17/2019​
ReplaceFront Brake PadPowerStopZ231293Replaced front pads$ 51.79
8/17/2019​
ReplaceFront Brake RotorWagnerBD126407EReplaced front rotors, warranty replacementN/A
8/17/2019​
ReplaceRear Brake PadPowerStopZ231212Replaced rear pads$ 32.99
8/17/2019​
ReplaceRear Brake RotorWagnerBD126489EReplaced rear rotors, warranty replacementN/A
-
9/9/2019​
InformativeGrinding noiseN/AN/AGrinding noise from belt area when coldN/A
-
9/10/2019​
InformativeGrinding noiseN/AN/AGrinding noise seems to be from alternator, noise goes away when warmN/A
11/2/2019​
-
11/4/2019​
InformativeOil LeakN/AN/AOil leak seems to be coming from the oil dipstick o-ringN/A
11/30/2019​
11/30/2019​
ReplaceInterior LED LightingSUPERBRIGHTLEDs3022, 921, 194, 74Swapped LED cool white to natural white$ 40.55
Total:$ 5,090.06

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with a lot of this. According to my records on my 2009 Corolla S I had very few expenses. I only had to do oil changes that I did for $25 each including the Mobil 1 and Toyota filter. I replaced the tires once but that was my choice. The OEM tires were fine. I put them on my 2007 Corolla CE when I bought new 17" wheels and tires for my 09 Corolla S. Most everything I did to my Corolla was my choice but the actual money spent on maintenance was hardly anything in the 1st 5 years.

The other thing to consider is that EV's are better in some areas more than others. Electricity here in the Pacific NW is relatively cheap and comes from clean sources like hydroelectric and wind. In the NW it's much more expensive.

I love the idea of a plug-in hybrid and have thought about the Prius Prime for a couple of years. The new RAV4 Prime will be interesting to see. I just wish I liked the new RAV4 more. I'm not a fan at all of the design in or out. I love my 2017 RAV4 much more design wise and it's been an excellent vehicle. I've been getting 28-32 MPG on most tanks and have averaged 30.3 mpg over my last 10 tanks and 29.8 mpg since I bought it new. Not bad for a gas only model. Some guys don't get that with their Corolla! haha
Plug in EV is great for fuel economy, one of our leased returned Fusion plug in EV in our dealership with 20,000 miles shows average of 90 mpg. Your 30 mpg is very good mileage for a SUV compared to what I can get 26 mpg in mixed driving. By the way I am curious why you chose RAV 4 over CR-V ( a new 2017 model).

·
Registered
51 Posts
And Toyota will not sell it's stake in Tesla.
Toyota has sold all its stock in Tesla in 2016

.......as I said, Toyota has ran screaming waving his hands in the air from Tesla. There is nothing Tesla can teach Toyota. Toyota can teach Tesla to make an electric Toyota. ( good quality and reliability )

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,870 Posts
So Tesla's marketing team did an article on comparing the tesla model 3 and the Camry, and now they are comparing it to the Corolla? Either this is Tesla's marketing at its best, they are getting desperate, or bored.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So Tesla's marketing team did an article on comparing the tesla model 3 and the Camry, and now they are comparing it to the Corolla? Either this is Tesla's marketing at its best, they are getting desperate, or bored.
Yes, 1000% marketing strategy:

1) They made a sedan and they are comparing it to the best
2) Sales are struggling - it is a sedan
3) Comparison to Camry didn't work, so go down the list to the next best

Note the drop in sales:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts