Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a few problems with the engine I installed and I'm posting this to figure out why before I decide to sent it to a shop or something because Im getting tired of the engine.

1st. There's a rattling sound when the clutch ISN'T engaged. Goes away as soon as I depress the clutch. [I think its the throw-out bearing but its a brand new one ACT kit}

2nd. Theres smoke coming out around the exhaust header. I think by the port that connects to the cat. [I suspect a leak due to old donuts gasket] its not at the head as I used a new gasket for that.

3rd. The car doesnt seem to want to go above 3-4k RPMS. It burbles? so I think its running rich because of said problem above

any ideas? suggestions??

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should mention that this is sort of related to my first post I just wanted to make a new one to Highlights too many issues.

Aspern earlier post to the engine was not sparking because the AC was not sending a signal for some reason. I simply disconnected the battery reconnected it and it started working again. But now it's back to not starting because ECM is not sending a signal to the coils to spark and I don't know why

Also I replaced it because one of the cylinders had low compression, about half of the others. And it also had very high mileage so I just replaced it to have a newer, better, longer-lasting engine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
OBD2 will tell what's wrong. We could guess all day and assume you did many wrong things, but be wrong about those. OBD2 doesn't guess, it tells the truth as long as you diagnose from what the trouble codes mean, and there are no trouble codes that say " replace such a part". Get a cheap OBD2 code reader. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did test the compression it's perfectly fine it's around 220-225psi for all. OBD2 port has no codes and no pending codes

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to go to a repair shop right away because I think it could get pretty expensive fast

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already did double-check every sensor and connector it's all perfectly fine. Space the car did start up before and have these problems, but right now it's not wanting to start up because the ECU is not wanting to send spark to the plugs

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where would that be. I can only think of for Ground locations one underneath the battery, one on the driver side strut Tower, and two on the vvl solenoid

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or better would be how to check ground with one probe go on the negative terminal and one on the positive of the coil plug

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so the coil plugs are grounded. I tested this with a multimeter andb1 probe on the negative battery terminal and the other on the plug and testedvfor continuity which all 4 had.

Also it seems that when I unplug the battery and reset the ecm it will start but once it's warmed up, struggles.

Also the throwoutbbearing is making a lot of noise when the clutch is not depressed and the car shakes pretty bad when I am engaging the clutch even though the rpm don't drop below 1k

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,571 Posts
Misfire or limp mode. My xrs did this same thing a few weeks back. I know you're not having any pending codes and have spark. Sounds to me, the ignition relay could be getting hot. Try tapping the starter while cranking.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
doubt its a misfire since no engine code but could be limp mode im not sure. What does tapping the starter do? Will check the relay in the morning. Thanks for spending the time to help me save time and money.

Edit: it seems limp mode doesnt let you rev past 3k rpm but mine does will check later to make sure

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
starter was replaced a few months ago when the old engine was in. its fine

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
there does also seem the be smoke coming out around the header, BUT its not the gasket to the engine, thats new. Possibly the outlet to the catalytic converter gasket is bad.

i'll try to get a video of it but its not thick theres just quite a bit coming out and I can see and oil leaking

Edit: the engine does seem to shake a lot any ideas why?

Edit 2: The clicking-ish? sound is somewhere in the clutch area. Goes away when clutch is disengaged [Pressed Down]. Do i need to adjust anything when installing a new clutch?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not sure how/what it would sound like diesel. When I can I will let it run and it'll probably die again and I will see if there is a code.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts