Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Alright after some messing around car is back to not starting.

It does this

Crank, crank, crank, slowly stops, crank, crank.

Like the timing is off or something but it's not. Any ideas

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok let the car sit with the battery disconnect for 1 day. Got it to Start.

It runs very rich, so much so I cant go above 2k rpm before the exhaust starts popping.

Also I noticed the TPS will only go up to 77% on my scan tool. I tried it at the Throttle body by hand and wouldn't go above. Maybe a bad ground?

PLS REPLY

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
there isn't friction. snaps back fine. I think it might be failing. Any ideas on why it would run rich? I cleaned the MAF but it still has the problem. also after starting it wont start again unless I disconnect the battery again.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’m curious, do you have vdrop from the car battery sitting? I would double check your harness is in good condition.

Did you crane the engine in with the exhaust manifold? Or just the block bare? Maybe one of the O2 got nicked? Any other changes you may have possibly made that could possibly be different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
No I have kept the battery charged while I was working on the car.

Oh snap. I had to do it with the header on. Will check o2 sensor. gonna also try and check resistance and voltage if I can

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ok. no idea what the problem was but It runs fine now. starts everytime. But now I haved a new problem

When I am slowly engaging the clutch, it shakes really bad. The rpms dont even drop below 900. I installed a MWR Lightweight Flywheel and ACT clutch and OEM Throwout Bearing. I feel As though The engine is about to break.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I used the Aftermarket ARP Bolts which are recommended to be torque down to 70ft lbs only.

Also when all my car doors are closed the light on the gauge cluster only dims, doenst turn off all the way. any reason?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think it might be a wiring problem. The door light is dimmed, not fully on & the airbag light is on.

The car also seems to still be running rich. There is a pungent Oder in the car when driving. I think the car hit a rev limit at 7600rpm? not sure to fast to see

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,583 Posts
Feel the plunger by pressing it in. You can easily replace it or the wiring could be bad.

Pungent smell could be ac discharge hose is moldy.

You'll need to scan the srs code. Could be spiral cable. Have you done the recall for the air bags?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Plunger is fine. The light only dims when all doors are closed, does not turn all the way off.

Its definitely running rich. reeks of gas, especially when I give it some throttle.

It went into lift once but now it wont go into lift at all. limits at around 7K rpm. Engine was at operating temp.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
its definitely fuel. now it wont rev past 4k rpm in neutral. I think the ECM is limiting itself from the running rich condition? is that even possible? Im going to replace the exhaust gasket [donut] this weekend along with o2 sensors. I dont have a way to test the sensors [my scanner is cheap] but if this doesnt fix it imma have to take it to a shop

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
hey so I looked at my fuel injectors resistance readings and they all came back to exactly 11.9 ohms. all the same BUT

According to this website it seems thats out of spec. if this correct? I know its for the celica but theyre both 2zz

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
ok new injectors were installed. I bought the STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FJ847 from rockauto that were for the XRS model but These new injectors have 12 holes vs the stock 4 holes.

I also replaced the upstream O2 sensor as a precaution and got new spark plugs.

Now the car runs too lean. P0171. I already Cleaned the MAF. is it possible I was sold the wrong injectors and that I need the ones with 4 holes

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
also Im missing a bolt for the throttle body. the upper left nut. [i dont think thats why its running lean because carb cleaner or anything doesn't affect the rpm or engine.

I also have a new Intake manifold Gasket, Throttle body Gasket, fuel injector plugs that go on the engine. so no idea right now

41 - 60 of 123 Posts